Group buy: Torklift Stealth Hitch - Page 9 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
View Poll Results: Are you in?
Yes 24 53.33%
No 6 13.33%
Maybe 15 33.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
post #81 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 107
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am interested in one and am wondering if there are actually some either written or video instructions for the bumper cutting part as this appears to be the most interesting difficulty in the installation process. I would assume that the cut would have to be made prior to the actual install so that the specification measurements of where the cut will be, the depth, width and vertical height need to be sufficient in terms of allowance to provide for an easy installation. Is there anything yet that people can look at with that information?

monty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Car: 2012 Outback 3.6R
Posts: 26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
I am interested in one and am wondering if there are actually some either written or video instructions for the bumper cutting part as this appears to be the most interesting difficulty in the installation process. I would assume that the cut would have to be made prior to the actual install so that the specification measurements of where the cut will be, the depth, width and vertical height need to be sufficient in terms of allowance to provide for an easy installation. Is there anything yet that people can look at with that information?
I just got mine, so I have the installation instructions. I started a new thread about installation of the new design, but since you asked here, I'll answer here. The instructions specify a 6" x 6" cutout of the bottom of the bumper in the center. It does not look difficult. The instructions have pictures and it looks like they use an air powered saw to make the cutout. Someone in the original Torklift thread mentioned cutting the notch to 8", so they may have changed the instructions to reduce the cutout size.

pdxman1 is offline  
post #83 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Car: 2010 OB 2.5 premium CVT
Posts: 191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxman1 View Post
I just got mine, so I have the installation instructions. I started a new thread about installation of the new design, but since you asked here, I'll answer here. The instructions specify a 6" x 6" cutout of the bottom of the bumper in the center. It does not look difficult. The instructions have pictures and it looks like they use an air powered saw to make the cutout. Someone in the original Torklift thread mentioned cutting the notch to 8", so they may have changed the instructions to reduce the cutout size.
You are right. The original instructions said to cut a 8" hole even though the receiver part is only about 6". When I was doing installing the original designed hitch I measured the part that drops down and cut the hole that wide and deep and it was close to 6". Just measure the hitch before you cut. Locating the notch is easy because it is centered around where the connector pin goes. I used a straight edge and sharpie to mark and tin snips and they cut through that soft black plastic like butter. The plastic is soft enough that you could also use a box cutter and score it a bunch of times, but the snips are easier.

gangstead is offline  
post #84 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA, USA
Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium
Posts: 61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alright, I got my hitch and installed it today. It went pretty well and I'm VERY pleased with the results. I wrote up the install with pictures on my blog. Rather than duplicate the work, I'll point you there.

Subaru Outback Hitch Install | DigitalNigel

I would recommend using my method which is a mix of the Subaru and Torklift instructions. It is (in my opinion) easier and gives you much better access.

Anyway, like I said, the install went well, and the results are GORGEOUS (as far as hitches go). I'm really pleased I put down the extra money for this one, rather than any of the other hitches that sit lower.

Enjoy the photos, and enjoy installing your new hitch!

Nigel
nigelvh is offline  
post #85 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Registered User
 
armith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northeastern OH
Car: '15 Outback 2.5i Ltd PZEV w/ Eyesight, Crystal Black Silica
Posts: 195
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
got some side view shots. I'd be interested to see the clearance for the draw bar pin.. From the front only shots it looks like certain types of drawbar pins would interfere with the chain hookups.

Maybe tape measure shot to show the ground clearance from ground to bottom of hitch?
armith is offline  
post #86 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia
Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
Posts: 457
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelvh View Post
Alright, I got my hitch and installed it today. It went pretty well and I'm VERY pleased with the results. I wrote up the install with pictures on my blog. Rather than duplicate the work, I'll point you there.

Subaru Outback Hitch Install | DigitalNigel

I would recommend using my method which is a mix of the Subaru and Torklift instructions. It is (in my opinion) easier and gives you much better access.

Anyway, like I said, the install went well, and the results are GORGEOUS (as far as hitches go). I'm really pleased I put down the extra money for this one, rather than any of the other hitches that sit lower.

Enjoy the photos, and enjoy installing your new hitch!

Nigel
Just so I understand correctly. You cut a hole in the heat shield for the bolt then sandwich the shield between the hitch and the frame. Is this right?
vtmecheng is offline  
post #87 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Registered User
 
DieselOx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Car: 2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
Posts: 530
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmecheng View Post
Just so I understand correctly. You cut a hole in the heat shield for the bolt then sandwich the shield between the hitch and the frame. Is this right?
No, the heat shield rests below the hitch, sitting flat against the lower, exposed face. The screws to install the heat shield barely still bite, but once the hitch is up tight, they're long enough. Tricky to make sure the holes are aligned in the hitch before tightening the hitch enough to actually put the heat shield screws in.

(this is for a hidden/draw-tite/u-haul, but the tork lift looks the same at the mounting point).

car history: 1969 toyota corona 1970 honda 600 car 1978 dodge p/u slant-6 1978 saab 99 EMS 1967 & 1968 volvo 122 1976 bmw 2002 1968 & 1967 plymouth valiant slant-6 1995 vw golf 1997 honda odyssey 1998 mazda p/u 2005 subaru outback 2003 dodge diesel p/u 4x4 2000 vw golf TDI 2012 subaru outback (RIP)
DieselOx is offline  
post #88 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA, USA
Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium
Posts: 61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
vtmecheng: Yes, the heat shield gets sandwiched between the hitch and the frame. DieselOx is correct about the other hitches, but the instructions for the Torklift say to leave the heat shield in place. It ends up bending the heat shield a little bit (the flap that comes down next to the spare tire well gets pushed over against the spare tire well.)

armith: I'll grab a couple shots in just a minute. From my recollection, I think any standard pin should fit fine, perhaps if you're using a large locking one it might be an issue.
nigelvh is offline  
post #89 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA, USA
Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium
Posts: 61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alright, I updated the post with some new photos at the bottom. I got a photo of how the heat shield is between the hitch and the frame and how it gets bent. Then I got a couple photos with the measuring tape of some dimensions. How far from the ground, how far from the end of the receiver to the safety chain loops, and clearance from the bottom of the bumper to the safety chain loops. These also show the pin hole relative to the safety chain loops.
nigelvh is offline  
post #90 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Car: 2012 Outback 3.6R
Posts: 26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelvh View Post
Alright, I got my hitch and installed it today. It went pretty well and I'm VERY pleased with the results. ...
Nigel
Nice job on the bumper cut out. How did you get the curved corners so nice? Can you get such a tight curve with tin snips? I hesitate to try it freehand since I only get one shot at it.

pdxman1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome