Subaru Outback Forums banner

Blown CVT? Euro Spec 2011

9K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Leka 
#1 ·
Transmission stopped pulling while driving and check engine and other lights went on. Car won't move in Drive or Reverse, engine just revs up and there is a whining sound coming from the transmission. It even whines when in Neutral or Park. OBD tester gives P0700, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304. Is the CVT blown?

#3 ·
Details about the vehicle in question are helpful for those of us who do not possess mystic psychic powers.

#8 ·
With SSM4 I additionally got the following codes (SSM3 description within parenthesis):

P0841 Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit Range/Performance (Secondary Oil Pressure Sensor Performance)
P0965 Pressure Control Solenoid "B" Control Circuit Range/Performance (Forward and Reverse Solenoid Function)

#10 ·
Possibly low ATF, input clutch etc . . .

See attached. Descriptions seem consistent with the symptoms.

Incidentally, do you have access to dealers' Subaru Select Monitor III and Subaru Select Monitor IV, or are you using another tool/program to read those codes, and if so, which?

Attachments

#18 ·
Clearly broken away from another part, yet the broken edge looks as if it's been smoothed to some extent, as if it might have been broken off for some time.

Doesn't look as if there's any threading in the opening, but it's hard to tell from the photos alone.

There's probably a place where there's some sign of where the part broke off.

If the pan is off, I think it should be possible to have someone move the shift lever in the car, while watching the action of the linkage to the valve body. The shift linkage rotates a shaft that goes through the transmission housing to a "manual valve" on the valve body. As the shift lever is moved between R and D, the manual valve shaft should move with it. The valve has to move to the respective R or D positions for hydraulic fluid to be directed to the appropriate clutches to enable forward and reverse operation. The broken piece might be related to the linkage to the valve.

On page 18 of https://atracom.blob.core.windows.net/webinars/import/subaru_lineartronic_cvt_rebuild.pdf, the shaft of the manual valve is seen in the valve body photo, on the right side, about mid-way down. The linkage shaft going off to the right is also visible. (Also, see attached)

Attachments

#20 ·
Indeed!

And looking at those two parts in the photo, I'd say it's the Converter Guide Tube. The flat end of that tube is 180 degrees from where it is attached, whereas the flat end of the Long Guide Tube is at 90 degrees.

Hard to tell from the photo how that piece is fitted to the front of the main case, or its purpose.

Might have to replace the transmission, or find a CVT that's not working and take the part from it, if that's even possible. (As far as I know, parts are not available for the CVT in North America, but perhaps it's different in Europe.

Hope you will keep us informed . . .

#21 ·
Yup, seems to be the Converter Guide Tube. Something to do with the torque converter hydraulics, I guess.

I will be looking for a complete replacement, but even used transmissions are really expensive around here so I might have to import one from the US or Japan.

#22 ·
#25 ·
Well, it looks really fragile, only 4 mm thick where it's broken off and the metal seems like some die-cast toy metal.

Like I wrote earlier, I will be looking for a complete replacement, because it's too expensive to have anything done to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.