Airbag Recall - Page 17 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #161 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:13 PM

Car: 2014 Outback Premium 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It was "airbag recall NOW?!!!"

Though what the National Organization for Women has to do with airbag recalls escapes me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:46 PM

Car: 2014 Outback 2.5 Premium w/Sunroof
Is it SOP for the dealer to give you a loaner while it's in for the recall?

Not that big a deal as I have a motorcycle, just hate having to gear up to ride to work in the rain.

Wayne aka "CigarSki"
South Jersey
2014 Outback Premium, 2.5 CVT w/sunroof, Carbide Gray
2010 Kawasaki ZG1400 Concours 14, KTRC/ABS
post #163 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSikorski View Post
Is it SOP for the dealer to give you a loaner while it's in for the recall?

Not that big a deal as I have a motorcycle, just hate having to gear up to ride to work in the rain.

It's under a 2 hour job, so yes you can get the loaner or just wait.
post #164 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:02 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
the long-term loans were early on, before they had the parts. Dunno if that's an issue anymore.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #165 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:06 AM

Car: 2014 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
Checked my '14' Outback in this morning at 7:30 am (8am appointment) and new air bag inflator replacement and free multipoint inspection was complete at 9am. Service advisor told me tech didn't have to R&R the dash for the repair..., IMO job well done.

Service preformed at:

LaFontaine Subaru
Commerce Township, MI.
WSikorski likes this.
post #166 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oringinaltwotone View Post
It's under a 2 hour job, so yes you can get the loaner or just wait.
Not all dealerships are equal in terms of loaners. My last dealership (West Houston Subaru) is the worst. Don't reserve and don't guarantee. In two years, I have gotten one loaner. SOA direction to provide is ignored by this dealer. I am using a new Houston dealership now. Further drive but a good start so far. Did my fuel recall in less than 30 minutes, arrival to the moment I got back in driver seat. IF I need an airbag in the future, will go there. Superior Subaru.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #167 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:56 PM

Car: 2013 3.6R Limited
Tough to get a loaner vehicle at the dealership I typically use as well. Usually told "there are none available" even when making an appointment a week or so out. Glad I DIY most of my own repairs and rely on the dealership only for recall work. My 2013 3.6R was built in April 2013 so it turns six years old next month. It has been a very solid vehicle thus far at 47,300 miles (acquired at 25,500 miles in November 2015).
post #168 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:53 PM

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
As I like to say: Not my side...

Just had my 2013 2.5 in for the recall and a boat-load of other work got the dreaded "christmas tree" lights on the dash, found it to be some oil sensor that failed.

So, full aggressive fluid flush: differentials, CVT, power steering, brake, oil/filter with BG-MOA additive, coolant. New belt for all accessories, brake service, tie rods, valve cover leaks, fuel system flush, spark plugs, all filters, clean battery tray and battery posts/clamps (new Oddesy Extreme installed) load balance / rotate tires. Full safety inspection and a few other odds and ends.

I was given a rental loaner (Enterprise) Kia Soul (no hamsters rocking to music though).
post #169 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:48 PM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
So, call me naive.... A year or two ago I checked up on the Takata airbag issue to see if my '14 was impacted. When I saw that only up to 2012 or 2013 vehicles were on the list, I *assumed* (that always gets me into trouble...) rather incorrectly that:

1) Takata must have resolved their manufacturing issue with PSAN inflators internally before 2014, so it would be a non-issue forever.

2) Maybe my airbags inflator was manufactured by some other company so again, this would be a non-issue.

Guess I was wrong! Yes, I'm disappointed. But I know accelerated stress testing can't determine all possible failure mechanisms. Modeling is great, but some potential reliability issues escape detection. We live and learn. At least we have a consumer agency tasked with figuring these things out, and forcing manufacturers to take action to keep us safe.

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
post #170 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post
So, call me naive.... A year or two ago I checked up on the Takata airbag issue to see if my '14 was impacted. When I saw that only up to 2012 or 2013 vehicles were on the list, I *assumed* (that always gets me into trouble...) rather incorrectly that:

1) Takata must have resolved their manufacturing issue with PSAN inflators internally before 2014, so it would be a non-issue forever.

2) Maybe my airbags inflator was manufactured by some other company so again, this would be a non-issue.

Guess I was wrong! Yes, I'm disappointed. But I know accelerated stress testing can't determine all possible failure mechanisms. Modeling is great, but some potential reliability issues escape detection. We live and learn. At least we have a consumer agency tasked with figuring these things out, and forcing manufacturers to take action to keep us safe.

But wait aren't you livid and outraged? Subaru is trying to kill one of your passengers.

z28dug likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: