waiting list for airbag recall? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2014 Subaru Outback, MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
waiting list for airbag recall?

I recently got the letter for the Takata passenger airbag recall for my 2014 Outback. When I called the dealer nearby, they said that they'd put me on a waiting list. They wouldn't tell me how long I was likely to wait, but they did say that they didn't have any replacement airbags in stock right now.

Has anyone been able to get an airbag right away, or do most/all Subaru dealers have waiting lists?

On a related note, I called a Toyota dealer to see if I could have the same Takata passenger air bag recall work done for my wife's 2012 Corolla. They gave me a 9:45 am appointment the same day to do the work.

I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to try calling 5 or 6 Subaru dealers to see if any of them have the airbag in stock.

Thanks,

John F
Montclair, NJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:07 AM

Car: 2014 Outback Premium 2.5i
I purchased a used 2014 on 2/18, which was after the recall had been expanded to include the 2014s but before the recall letters had been sent out. I was able to get a same-day appointment on 2/25 to have the recall work done (I waited a week as I was also getting some keys cut and wanted to do the key programming in the same dealer visit).

Subsequently, last week I was trying to get an appointment (at a different dealer) to get some unrelated work done and they were quoting appointments many weeks down the road. Service manager said that they're swamped with the airbag recall work now.

It's definitely worth calling around, especially as the limiting factor is often parts supply.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:28 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
call them back, tell them you're bringing your 'death trap' car in and it can wait on their lot and you'll be happy to safely drive a loaner with safe airbags until they fix your car.

bet you get a time for your appointment. If not, call SOA.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:43 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Premium, silver
My dealer did give me an appointment for today for my wifes "11 Impreza, couldn't do it and the next available date is August.

In my mind that means they are really, really trying hard to not book too many warranty recalls in a week, so as to keep making money on repairs. I understand that up to a point, but August ?. 5 mos. is too long and I will be calling back to complain.

SB

Lives on Long Island, NY
Works in Brooklyn, NY
Avid cyclist.

Past:
'01 Forester
'03 Outback
'11 Forester

Current:
'11 Impreza Outback Sport
'17 Outback Premium
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:03 PM

Car: 2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
I got an appointment 2 months out when I got my letter. Mine goes in Friday...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2014 Subaru Outback, MT
Thanks elborak & Lucky Texan for the suggestion to call around. I called around, and I found a dealer that said "when do you want to come in?" So now I have an appointment for April 16th to get the Takata passenger air bag replaced in my 2014 Outback. They could have done sooner but that's the first day I'll have enough time. Morristown NJ - hooray! Wayne, NJ - Bronx cheer.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:25 PM

Car: 2012 Outback - 2005 Outback XT
It's parts availability as much as anything. That's always been the case with the Takata recalls. So calling around won't make much difference.
Our dealer will call us back to schedule the appointment once the parts come in for our 2012.
It was the same deal for both of my 2005s.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:49 PM
gls

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
We have a 2013 Outback, and the dealer took about 3 weeks to replace the passenger airbag. We made the appointment the day we received the recall notice.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:02 AM

Car: 2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
Garage
Honda would not let us drive the vehicle with an airbag recall. They offered a loaner vehicle. That is what Subaru should be doing for people who have to "wait" months.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:27 AM

The takata airbag recalls have been an issue for several manufacturers. There almost 30 million vehicles affected in the US alone... There is no magic warehouse filled with Keebler elves making replacement airbags 24/7... it takes time to manufacture and distribute the replacement parts needed for all of the affected cars.. some cars have 1, some have 2 airbags that need replacement. Also, there are different color trims that need to be produced.

I currently work at a Mercedes dealer, we have been dealing with the Takata issues for a few years and have been handling them in phases...

Letters went out to affected owners about 3-4 years ago informing them of the recall. We began receiving replacement airbags about 1-2 years ago. If your are doing the math, that is about 1-2 years clients were waiting anxiously for replacement parts to be available since they were made aware of the issue...

Clients began getting letters stating parts were available for based on the age of the vehicle and the geographical area of where the vehicle was purchased or registered (phases).. I would typically see a new phase of cars every 1-2 months.

We started with all of the oldest affected cars first and have been gradually working the newer vehicles. We still have some newer model cars whose “phase” is not up yet and still shows their recall as “pending” on the vin report. That means we can’t even order parts for it yet..

Try not to take your frustration out on the dealers, we want to do the recalls. It can be a couple hundred $ warranty repair. I personally try to write up as many as I can, but we are still at the mercy of the manufacturer/distribution centers supplying us with the airbags. Plus we are competing we all of the other dealers trying to keep their inventory stocked.

As of today, some airbags we have in stock, some need to be ordered which can take anywhere from a few days or a few weeks.

One last thing... if your airbag or SRS light is on, please do not wait until you do the recall and assume it is going to be fixed. 99% of the time, an airbag or SRS light has nothing to do with the Takata airbag recall. Most dealers are not even going to replace the airbag if there is a current code in the SRS system, it must be fixed or diagnosed first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: