2012 CVT shutters when shifting gears or idling - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By seagrass
  • 1 Post By OBDad

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 CVT shutters when shifting gears or idling

Hello guys,

I have had minor shutters when changing gears (like shifting from park to reverse) and also just idling at a stop light, Iím not sure if itís the CVT or torque converter, but its gotten worse over the last year. The rpms will drop from 700 to 500 for a second or two, it has never stalled on me but it did sound close. Itís a 2012 with 94k original miles on it, but is still covered under Subaruís extended 100k warranty? Should I call SOA?

I do remember in 2013 my mechanic replaced the CVT fluid with ATF (I guess the older models w/o CVT use this?) at only 30k miles, and there were some shakes and noises that wore off on their own, which is weird, I didnít think anything of it, and now itís starting to have issues with the shutters where it sounds like itís almost about to stall out. Could this be a possibility?

I just had a drain and fill done with the appropriate CVT fluid, but after so many miles of driving with the wrong transmission fluid it really doesnít feel any different. It sounds smoother but itís the shutters when shifting gears or idling with city driving that make me a little nervous.

-Patrick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:32 AM

Car: Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
From memory the dropping in revs when coming to a stop is one of the reasons Subaru extended the warranty to 100k miles so I suggest you contact SOA fairly soon so that you can hopefully be covered under warranty.

If it was me I am not sure I would be mentioning that the CVT had the wrong fluid as this would potentially voice the warranty. Let SOA determine the cause of the problem, they are the experts.

Seagrass

slidog likes this.

MY11 Outback 3.6R Premium (Daily drive)
MY06 Forester XT 2.5 (Youngest daughter driving)
MY07 Liberty/Legacy 2.5 (Eldest daughter)
MY04 Impreza RS 2.5 (Sold Jan 2019)
MY02 Impreza 2.0 (Son in Law)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:00 PM

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
Assuming you didn't address the error until now? So it survived 64,000 miles with the incorrect fluid. Wow. Probably because it was only a single drain and fill then, which would have replaced about 1/3 of the total fluid in the transmission.

That said, chances are extremely high that your transmission is toast due to this error. https://www.picknbuy24.com/column_349.html

Did you just recently realize he used the wrong fluid back in 2013? Quite frankly this should hit your mechanic's liability insurance, not Subaru's warranty program.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for responding, means a lot.

Spoke with the mechanic, found the receipt from 2014 as I save all of mine, and she explained to me the Subaru HP ATF was for power steering only. They just inspect CVTs. She said it sounded like it might be a torque converter issue but will of course have to inspect and drive it around.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:01 PM

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidog View Post
Thanks for responding, means a lot.

Spoke with the mechanic, found the receipt from 2014 as I save all of mine, and she explained to me the Subaru HP ATF was for power steering only. They just inspect CVTs. She said it sounded like it might be a torque converter issue but will of course have to inspect and drive it around.
Aah, phew! That is great news! Yes, the power steering does take ATF.

I’d agree with her about the torque converter as prime suspect, followed by valve body as second.

Either way you are covered under the extended warranty. If your mechanic is not at a Subaru dealership don’t spend money on her right now. Instead, call SOA, log a ticket, and bring the case number in hand to a dealership.

Anecdotal evidence on this forum points to less pain at dealerships for issues like these if you’ve already alerted SOA and they are watching the case.
slidog likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBDad View Post
Aah, phew! That is great news! Yes, the power steering does take ATF.

Iíd agree with her about the torque converter as prime suspect, followed by valve body as second.

Either way you are covered under the extended warranty. If your mechanic is not at a Subaru dealership donít spend money on her right now. Instead, call SOA, log a ticket, and bring the case number in hand to a dealership.

Anecdotal evidence on this forum points to less pain at dealerships for issues like these if youíve already alerted SOA and they are watching the case.

Aaaah, phew! That is great
Heck yeah sigh of relief! Ok I'll be in touch with SOA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: