The 2019 Subaru Ascent is Made for Americans and Their American Stuff - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 03:54 AM

Car: 2017 3.6R Limited with EyeSight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Neat car.

I’m loving the design and look of the car.

Of course, one of the first questions I have is: what is Subaru doing for the Infotanment Center, and will it be kept up to date? Unlike the shambles that are tne systems in the last two models of Outback / Legacy, and others?

If Subaru plans on getting into what is effectively the minivan market, they are going to need to actually give some real consideration to the fine details for that infotainment system. Honda and Toyota crush them in this area, and the lack of updates is a serious issue.

In my case I dont think I’d even consider purchasing an Acent with a new engine design for three years.

After the 2013MY 2.5L FB engine issue, where the PZEV engines where burning oil at an alarming rate, and people went through multiple engines; we went through three (3) of them and it was far from painless getting Subaru to fix our Legacy with that new engine...

Looks like a great car, but I’d stay away until it’s been out for a few years; Subaru has a habit of issues with new engines and a poor record of keeping the infortainment center updated.

Oh, and dont get me started at not being able to turn off Starlink’s ability to send telemetry to Subaru...

Love the concept, but im sure it falls into the “wait until its been out forma few years” category.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 07:38 AM

Car: 2014 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghp View Post
It is tuned for 87 for the Ascent
Wonder what kindda numbers it would throw down tuned for premium?

post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Suburu View Post
Wonder what kindda numbers it would throw down tuned for premium?

I will be surprised if it comes tuned for 87 octane. Other automakers have went that route without too much success. Especially with direct injection engines. Just too much carbon build up and eventual engine issues.
JamesBond likes this.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 03:54 AM

So the touring trim which I really like regarding the tech features and ventilated seats etc has one major fail. Minivan captains chairs only in the 2nd row! WTF!!! So I cant seat 5 and pack the back full of gear? Which is exactly what I do with my Sequoia and my Outback. Which I would probably sell both and get a Ascent Touring if it had the 8pass seat layout.

Im truly amazed Subaru thought the touring trim should only be offered in the van format with captians chairs.

Grrrr
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdog433 View Post
Wonder if the 2.4 Turbo will be the engine used in the 2020 Outback re-design! That beats the 3.6R numbers and probably has a wall of torque behind it from 1500-2000 RPMs on up. That would be interesting.
I would think that the H-6 is gone in the next gen Outback, because of the expense of keeping it around for just one model.

But I'd like to know if they left enough room in the Ascent (and in the new global platform) for possible retrofit of an H-6.

The 2.4 turbo is a new engine, so it either it can be developed later for more power, or maybe complemented with a hybrid setup. Whatever, I'm an H-6 fan, and can't quite imagine a turbo 4 being quite as smooth or satisfying, no matter what the specs say on paper. But we'll know more when there are Ascents available to drive.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28dug View Post
I will be surprised if it comes tuned for 87 octane. Other automakers have went that route without too much success. Especially with direct injection engines. Just too much carbon build up and eventual engine issues.
The 2.0 XT Forester has been able to run 87+ since it came out in 2014.
rasterman likes this.

Have you considered the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

Ours:
2002 Outback wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean no more: "Mal" 136,000 and counting.
Cloth interior swap. HIR1 high beam upgrade.
2006 Outback 2.5i wagon: "Professor Sprout" 97,000 and counting.
HIR1 high beam upgrade.

Family fleet:
2006 Outback XT Limited. 109,000 and bone stock.

Previous:
1996 Outback wagon "Solstice", totaled at 115,000.
2003 Outback wagon"Kaylee", sold at 167,000.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 04:36 PM

Car: 2019 Ascent Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDFTW View Post
The 2.0 XT Forester has been able to run 87+ since it came out in 2014.
"Able" I think that could be said for most turbo 4s who's owner's manuals recommend higher octane fuel.
Usually the manual says you may experience ping and reduced power if running 87 octane. I think it might be more about emissions.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 04:37 PM

Car: 2019 Ascent Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghp View Post
It is tuned for 87 for the Ascent
Source?
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
So the touring trim which I really like regarding the tech features and ventilated seats etc has one major fail. Minivan captains chairs only in the 2nd row! WTF!!! So I cant seat 5 and pack the back full of gear? Which is exactly what I do with my Sequoia and my Outback. Which I would probably sell both and get a Ascent Touring if it had the 8pass seat layout.

Im truly amazed Subaru thought the touring trim should only be offered in the van format with captians chairs.

Grrrr
on the official listings they list it as seating for 7 or 8. (today and in the past).

and it looks like 7= 2 captains chairs on the 2nd row as is always in the show cars.

8 seats = bench on the 2nd row. as per:

https://www.consumerreports.org/suvs...uv-sized-hole/

(and I thought there maybe some narrow insert hooked onto the captains chairs such that would be used for a child or baby seat.)

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 04:58 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
"Able" I think that could be said for most turbo 4s who's owner's manuals recommend higher octane fuel.
Usually the manual says you may experience ping and reduced power if running 87 octane. I think it might be more about emissions.
It's gonna ping like a b*tch. But then all Subi motors do.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: