The 2019 Subaru Ascent is Made for Americans and Their American Stuff - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildogck View Post
It's gonna ping like a b*tch. But then all Subi motors do.
Mal pulls timing like a beast on 87 octane and he's got the old 3.0.

Kaylee couldn't seem to care what octane she gets fed, but a NA EJ25 isn't all that picky on many things but coolant, tstats, and spark plugs in my 100K miles of ownership.

Have you considered the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

Ours:
2002 Outback wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean no more: "Mal" 136,000 and counting.
Cloth interior swap. HIR1 high beam upgrade.
2006 Outback 2.5i wagon: "Professor Sprout" 97,000 and counting.
HIR1 high beam upgrade.

Family fleet:
2006 Outback XT Limited. 109,000 and bone stock.

Previous:
1996 Outback wagon "Solstice", totaled at 115,000.
2003 Outback wagon"Kaylee", sold at 167,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 05:55 AM

Car: 2017 3.6R Limited with EyeSight
The actual reason we bought the 3.6R bases Outbacks was exactly so the we didnt need higher than 87 octane.

Gas prices will go up again and high-octane fuel always costs significantly more.

It would be really cool they if eventually have a decent hybrid version of the car. However, given that they have such a hard time getting the electronics of the dashboard and the stuff right… I also would wait a few years before I purchased one of those.

I love the concept of this new car, I just know you need to wait three years to buy one.

I’m not saying that Subaru won’t make it right in the case of anything major, but what they deem as the smaller stuff, like the infotainment center, might never get fixed [as happened with the 2013/2014MY Outback]. ( People always say things like go get yourself a Garmin, but the real point is that when you spend 40,000 bucks for a car that should work without an issue or the manufacture should put out updates.)

post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
on the official listings they list it as seating for 7 or 8. (today and in the past).

and it looks like 7= 2 captains chairs on the 2nd row as is always in the show cars.

8 seats = bench on the 2nd row. as per:

https://www.consumerreports.org/suvs...uv-sized-hole/

(and I thought there maybe some narrow insert hooked onto the captains chairs such that would be used for a child or baby seat.)
Optional except the touring edition. Subarus official site in (brackets) states captians chairs only for the Touring eddition.
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traildogck View Post
It's gonna ping like a b*tch. But then all Subi motors do.
Mine never did. But my 4.7L Toyota does. Basically can only run 91octane in it. 276hp. The new generation DIT engines seem pretty good so far with other makers. The early ones had carbon issues but the new ones seem to have it figured out.
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 02:35 PM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMaryland View Post
I’m not saying that Subaru won’t make it right in the case of anything major, but what they deem as the smaller stuff, like the infotainment center, might never get fixed ......the real point is that when you spend 40,000 bucks for a car that should work without an issue or the manufacture should put out updates.)
And that ought to be rule for mechanical issues as well - such as head gaskets.
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnre View Post
And that ought to be rule for mechanical issues as well - such as head gaskets.
Funny enough, that's what happened with the last short block replacement we had on the 2.5 (FB). Seems that the dealer didn't think a few gallons of coolant disappearing over the period of 3/4 of a year was anything to be concerned about.

Much of the issues with the mechanical stuff being repaired is the dealer network. The smaller stuff is certainly a Subaru issue.

Still, I'll wait a few years and see if I can con my wife into an Ascent. Once they have the bugs ironed out of the 2.4 Turbo....
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 03:39 PM

Looking at the Consumer Reports link above, I'm just going to reiterate, even though the Subaru die hards (and I've own three myself) don't like it:

- If Subaru wants to compete in this space, the Ascent better have a kick-a-s-s infotainment center. The models that it's listed as competing with will slaughter Subaru in that regard. They need to step it up, and then they need to support it well.

Many manufacturers are using the same core system across the board, in order to get a better general support. Plus, they are using the same core systems for 4-5 years...

Subaru will lose alot of potential sales if they don't step up to the plate. People who by an Ascent will be different that most of the historically hard core Subie owners....
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 03:48 PM

The infotainment in a 8 -7 pass today is a tablet connected via cell phone data link, or more costly vehicle data / wifi plan. My kids at 8 and 5 were on their ipads doing different things during our big road trip this summer. Daughter found a couple of library books kindle download she read, My son was doing starfall learning activites, netflix Mr Gadget.

My daughter was also using google earth to figure out the names of mountian peaks we could see from the car. That and finding the top ma pa pie shops for quick detour leg stretch breaks.

All things built in systems cannot touch. Including basic gps dash systems.
The biggie I see in the Ascent are the usb charge ports and door pockets to stow tablets etc.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 04:56 PM

Car: Lawn ornament XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMaryland View Post
- If Subaru wants to compete in this space, the Ascent better have a kick-a-s-s infotainment center.
I'm with subiesailor on this one- power ports, storage pockets, and cup-holders adaptable to mounts.

A car like this is going to serve a family longer than most technology is going to stay current. The car needs a radio with an amplifier and some speakers, a line input and a digital media player wouldn't hurt. It doesn't need a bunch of stuff that's going to go stale in a year, and all the distractions involved in debugging it or dealing with dissatisfied customers. Keep it simple.

All those minivans and SUVs with DVD players in the ceiling look a bit silly now.

Quote:
Subaru will lose alot of potential sales if they don't step up to the plate. People who by an Ascent will be different that most of the historically hard core Subie owners....
When the Outback switched to the big body in 2010 most of the new buyers were people who had never considered a Subaru before. The 2010 infotainment was pretty awful compared to other 2010 cars- and Subaru still got a massive surge in sales.
FLWhite*17 likes this.
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 05:12 PM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasterman View Post
The car needs a radio with an amplifier and some speakers, a line input and a digital media player wouldn't hurt. It doesn't need a bunch of stuff that's going to go stale in a year, and all the distractions involved in debugging it or dealing with dissatisfied customers.
Agree strongly.

But automakers today are like the IBM Corporation of August 12, 1981 - they are going to milk the profit from this stuff until they no longer can do so. And at that point, things will get interesting.

rasterman and FLWhite*17 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: