Idiot 5eat and 3.0 questions - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Idiot 5eat and 3.0 questions

Ok im going to try to keep this short but if anyone that owns a 2005 to 2006 ll bean awncer this one quick question. So when you go in to manual or sport mode when you go to shift down does then engine rev match between gears or does it kinda just drop in into a lower gear?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 12:08 PM

Car: Lawn ornament XT
I don't think it's different between the XT and the 3.0- but no, no revmatch. The transmission controller won't allow a shift that would take you beyond the rev limiter, but it also won't rev the engine to match.

I'm not certain, but I think they added this as a feature in 2008 but I'm not sure which versions of the car got it.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 01:33 PM

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
My 2008 does rev match, but it won't let you shift down when you'd be near or past the rev limiter.

Haven't driven an older Gen 3 with the 5EAT so I'm not sure about them. It looks like rasterman is correct, though, and this was added in 2008.

RIP Outback: 2008 3.0R LL Bean "Senior Citizen Gold" 99,150 miles

Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasterman View Post
I don't think it's different between the XT and the 3.0- but no, no revmatch. The transmission controller won't allow a shift that would take you beyond the rev limiter, but it also won't rev the engine to match.

I'm not certain, but I think they added this as a feature in 2008 but I'm not sure which versions of the car got it.
ok thanks for the info I wouldn't ever think of a situation when going beyond 7 grand rpm is needed but what I was thinking was either down gearing when coming to a red light or dropping a gear on the high way (lets say 5th to 4th) to be higher in the power band, when doing either of those how does the car react? is it smooth or very harsh and jerky?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:52 PM

Car: 2005 3.0 LL Bean Wagon
My 05 doesn't rev match. That being said, the kickdown isn't nearly as rough as in a lot of other automatic trasmission cars I've driven.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post
My 05 doesn't rev match. That being said, the kickdown isn't nearly as rough as in a lot of other automatic trasmission cars I've driven.
Any chance you could get a video of the tach or somehow to show how much you're jerked when down shifting at 2 -3k rpm if you could do that you would be my hero!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 PM

Car: 2005 Outback 3.0R
I can't say I've experienced anything like you're describing when downshifting in my 05 3.0R.

This is my fourth Subaru: 2005 Outback 3.0R 5EAT - 261,500km/162,500mi
JDM 3.0R engine installed w/72,345km @ 231,950km
NGK PLFR6A-11 plugs installed gapped to 0.7mm

Old engine tuned by Ed @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Before = 183WHP @ 6849RPM/170ft-lbs @ 4238RPM
After Ed = 195WHP @ 5756RPM/197ft-lbs @ 4861RPM, +7% HP, +16% torque

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:48 PM

Car: Lawn ornament XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riom4 View Post
Any chance you could get a video of the tach or somehow to show how much you're jerked when down shifting at 2 -3k rpm if you could do that you would be my hero!
downshifting from 2-3k isn't worth a video, it's that smooth. at 4500 & up? yeah that'll be a bump, but still not bad.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 09:47 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
My 5EAT isn't perfect. But is about the d*mn finest "slush box" I have ever driven or owned. I could NEVER drive this car as comfortably OR spririted with an MT...no way, not in an urban setting. This 5EAT is the t*ts.

It has some TQ flubs and downshifting harshness(WOW, that is harsh/strong...I'm so critical. But seriously, drive some other crap out there...you'll feel blessed, truly)

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traildogck View Post
My 5EAT isn't perfect. But is about the d*mn finest "slush box" I have ever driven or owned. I could NEVER drive this car as comfortably OR spririted with an MT...no way, not in an urban setting. This 5EAT is the t*ts.

It has some TQ flubs and downshifting harshness(WOW, that is harsh/strong...I'm so critical. But seriously, drive some other crap out there...you'll feel blessed, truly)
With the proper tune, it would

West_Minist

|
|

Viciously Tuned, Driven Hard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: