steering wheel and body shake? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2005 OB XT Limited M/T
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
steering wheel and body shake?

I have a 2005 ob xt limited m/t after around 65 mph the car has an aggressive intermittent shake and shutter to it the shake feels like kinda like a missing wheel weight but it is not after having all the wheels balanced has anyone else had similar issues or found repairs to this problem could there be half shafts or drive axles out of balance?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 04:18 PM

Car: 13' Red Venetian Pearl Outback 2.5i Limited w/Nav & Eyesight
I had similar thing happen to my 05 OB 2.5i LTD....

I just got it repaired for "rusted rotors" as well as torn axel boots and worn rear control arm bushings...

I have heard other folks on this forum explain that rust between the hub assembly and the rotor could be enough to cause these types of issues...

For me the car didn't shake too much as much as I felt a high-frequency vibration through the steering wheel at 65+...

Now that I had the rotors replaced and all the work, so far so good and my steering is tighter, but it always is for the first week after an oil change... which I also got done... If you can explain that phenomenon, let me know.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:17 AM

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
A stuck caliper can also cause this type of shake as the brakes heat up. Also worn ball joints or tie rod ends can cause similar issues. But stuck caliper is most likely. My '06 has a rubber sleeve on the lower slider pins (both front and rear)your '05 should be the same. With age, these sleeves will loosen up and cause the pins to bind in the bore. If enough braking force is applied, the caliper will be stuck with the inside pad against the back of the rotor. Another indicator of this problem would be higher than expected pedal effort for the resulting braking recieved. The sleeves come in the pin boot kit (all rubber parts only, no pins or bolts).

My other car is a Subaru.... Come to think of it, so is my other other car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 07:33 AM

Have you run over any potholes recently? It may be a bent rim. You can bring you car to a tire place and have them take a look at all the wheels and see if any of them are bent. Someimes you can't tell just by looking at them.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 PM

I had a similar problem even with new tires, a four wheel alignment and balancing. Finally, the folks at the tire store (who did the alignment and balancing) put the front wheels on a load balancing machine. it is a computer that costs about $10G and the guy at the tire store says finds the occasional problem when a tire and the rim have manufacturing defects that make them impossible to balance in conventional ways because they have built in loads in odd places. He said this problem shows up in less than 1% of situations, but they were able to move the tire on the rim and get rid of the vibration. I was amazed. Never heard of such a thing before.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 09:33 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petethecat View Post
I had a similar problem even with new tires, a four wheel alignment and balancing. Finally, the folks at the tire store (who did the alignment and balancing) put the front wheels on a load balancing machine. it is a computer that costs about $10G and the guy at the tire store says finds the occasional problem when a tire and the rim have manufacturing defects that make them impossible to balance in conventional ways because they have built in loads in odd places. He said this problem shows up in less than 1% of situations, but they were able to move the tire on the rim and get rid of the vibration. I was amazed. Never heard of such a thing before.
I had the same thing done with my tires and wheels on the way to eventually diagnosing...Bad inner tie-rod ends. But obviously, and wheel balance issues would set up the harmonic situation, where the tie-rods would exhibit their wear symtoms.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: