05 2.0XT build - JDM EJ20Y swap, XRT stg2+, on-going mods - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2003 Audi TTq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 2.0XT build - JDM EJ20Y swap, XRT stg2+, on-going mods

My poor Outback has been sitting idle for almost 2 months, low compression on #2 meant yet another EJ had bitten the dust. I thought about my options:

1) Get whatever I could get for the car and buy an appliance
2) Rebuild the stock engine
3) Pick up a running swap

I searched used Volts for about a week, but never got myself to eat the money and go beige. Then, the more I researched the more I realized any solid EJ25 rebuild would cost $3-$4k, and that's essentially stock internals with forged pistons, a VF52, and a downpipe (along with incidentals). Solid, but I don't know, maybe too easy? I have a problem with cars as I don't do practical or easy, so that brought me to choice #3, find a runner that went beyond the crappy USDM pistons, tune, and VF40. I also decided I wanted a 2.0 for better mileage, and higher compression for better off-boost driving and spool. This led me to Google, research, and a few weeks of obsessing over what I should get. I knew Subarus in the rest of the world got better and more trick parts, and I also knew that I had thought more than once about ditching the 5EAT for a manual, so that led me to stupidity.

I settled on a JDM engine, the EJ20X or EJ20Y out of the 2.0GT Legacy (or Liberty, when Australia had that setup for a few years) - 9.5:1 compression with forged crown pistons, twin-scroll turbo, dual AVCS (intake and exhaust). The X is for the automatic and comes with a VF38/44, and the Y is the manual and comes with a TD04HLA. Apparently that VF is even more unreliable than our VF40, but in a twist the HLA is both reliable and the largest TD04 Subaru used. The twin-scroll setup is completely specific to the Legacy, so none of the gaskets, downpipes, or anything are compatible or interchangable with the Impreza.

After looking at a bunch of $1200-$1600 engines or engine/trans setups I got more creative; eBay has this wonderful thing called a "worldwide" search, and after looking up a bunch of nerdy Japanese car and Subaru terms I found myself looking at a 35k, 2008 JDM Spec-B front clip, complete with the rear subframe, diff, driveshaft, and all four halfshafts. Basically, its a complete Spec-B drivetrain and suspension swap. There was a best offer and I thought "What the ****, I'll give it a shot," so I offered $2000 and finally went to bed. I more or less forgot about it until the next afternoon, my phone buzzed and I saw it was a notification from eBay: Auction Won! I freaked for a few minutes, this was both exciting and crazy.

After another few minutes of realizing I had just bought half a car from Hong Kong and had to ship it, import it, and essentially rebuild my Outback, I calmed down. Twin-scroll turbo. Aluminum suspension parts. Bigger brakes. A 6spd manual. It hit me hard, it was going to be a much bigger deal than my last project of the clutch on my TT, but it was also going to be more bad-ass; that was maintenance, this was a legit project. On a station wagon. High school me might not approve lol. The importation wasn't too bad, both the seller in Hong Kong and CTL (import company) in New York helped with paperwork. I explained right away I was a total noob and am positive that helped my experience, but it was obvious both companies were professional and reputable. After a month the clip was sitting in a warehouse a half-hour away, waiting to be picked up, and I used uShip.com to get residential delivery for $290 instead of the $470 a freight rep quoted me. (see second reference thread at bottom).

Finding a downpipe was fun, but after some grinding I joined Buyee, a Japanese auction broker, and ordered a used HKS downpipe for $450, and after some back-and-forth communication I had it within 3 days of payment. I've collected other parts, might grab a few more, and started working on this Saturday. Half of that first day was organizing, cleaning, and doing little stuff to the clip like removing the fenderliners, airbox, and making sure the clip was free of the pallet when lifted. I had forgot all my jackstands so only the back-half of the clip is supported, but I grabbed my other two at Easter yesterday. Today I plan to get it totally on stands, remove the bellypan, take apart the suspension, and prep the engine as much as possible for the swap. Updates to follow...

Delivery:

My unwrapped present, note all the Spec-B aluminum suspension parts

Hoisting the front before I realized I didn't have more jackstands, I need at least 4 more than the four I have now.

This is exciting, theoretically if I swap over the ECU, body computers, and anything else specific to the Spec-B I could have SI Drive in my 2005, but that's after I install the front LSD in the trans. I really should buy a transmission jack...

I didn't realize I was going to get the F/R brake setup but I did, hello built-in brake upgrade, the clip even has SS lines!

Gratuitous parts shot! HKS 3" downpipe, STi front LSD and engine mounts, rear diff mounts, a new turbo inlet, EJ20X ECU (in case I keep the 5EAT), topfeed TGVs for a delete (not sure if I'll worry about that now), gaskets, air pump delete. I figure since the car will be apart I might as well take care of things now, I'm planning pitch and trans mounts, an STi master cylinder, rear sway braces, maybe a GV/GR steering rack, and whatever anyone else has suggestions for. Eventually I plan on an upgraded DIY TMIC, I might save the topfeeds until then.

Reference threads:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...unishment-blog
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...m-(an-anecdote)

Mad Mallard and Stripe like this.

EJ20Y swap/iWire harness/XRT-tuned - TGV deletes/STi pinks/DW65c/HKS downpipe - Spec-B brakes/Hawk HPS - Gorilla flaps/OSRAM Fogbreakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:13 PM

Exciting project. Good luck.

post #3 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:56 PM

Car: Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
Garage
What kind of front LSD are you installing? FWIW, I'm pretty sure ROW Spec Bs got an STI Torsten style rear. I don't believe the US ones got that but I could be wrong.

My other Subarus are Subarus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You'll have to pry my frameless windows from my cold dead hands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:56 PM

Car: 2000 OBW, 2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
O_o sweet, moar pics~
post #5 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:24 PM

Car: 2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Oh, this is cool.
post #6 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:28 PM

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited
Nice. Glad to see someone on here tackling a big project like this. Plan it all out and be systematic. Write up a plan and what the goals are. The "while I'm at its" will kill a project. I come from a Datsun Z background and have done many engine swaps over the years including going from Carbs to Full standalone ecu with turbo setups. Make a plan and stick to it as much as you can.
post #7 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:39 PM

Subdcribed

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

2005 outback XT purchased 108k

seems stock untouched, taking care of maintenance then suspension and brakes.. then the fun stuff.. allot to learn allot to read
post #8 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:24 PM

Car: 2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
This thread has already made me seriously second guess my direction for my rebuild. But it's too late now.

Looking forward to watching this.

2009 radio swap with

Constant power to auxiliary 12V plugs mod

Electrical problems such as rear wiper not working, tailgate lock stop working properly, radio reception suddenly terrible or tail light/backup lights not working or fuses blowing? Check the tailgate wiring.
post #9 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 PM

I just noticed the AT to MT conversion part. I guess that's easier with the DBW? Did it come with the whole pedal cluster?

Also there is a pretty good octane discrepancy from JDM to USDM. What's the plan there? Are the sensors different or just the tune?

USDM spec B would lunch the motor because their solution tonrev limiting was fuel cut. Lots of motors died. That's not a thing either? Also there are end gap piston ring issues of that vintage 257 motor, is this the same? Or is it a 2-liter? I might have missed that part

Edit total derp. EJ20 was clear in the first post.
post #10 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:57 PM

Car: 2000 OBW, 2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isis View Post

Also there is a pretty good octane discrepancy from JDM to USDM.

only 2~3 RON, if its 93 octane AKI.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: