Dash Battery light on - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvby View Post
Ooof! careful when doing that, that can spike the system. Not recommended with modern cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishers View Post
Yea, the battery acts sort of like a capacitor for your vehicle's electrical system;...
I do get that but never thought of it being an issue if disconnecting the batt cable when running. Voltage was ~14.5 when we measured it several hours ago and the dash light was off. Replacement/reman alternator is here on the bench and we will see how it goes the next few days and install it if necessary. I might keep it and not return since we own three of these vehicles and they are getting older now.

Any recommendations on better or best replacement alternator choices?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:50 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59ctd View Post
. . . Voltage was ~14.5 when we measured it several hours ago and the dash light was off.
As it should be.

Incidentally, the Battery warning light can also be on if the alternator output voltage is high, as when the alternator is generating but isn't being controlled by the regulator. In this case, the bulb brightness will depend on the difference between the (average/pulsed) alternator output voltage and the battery voltage. It's often less bright than when the ignition is at On but the engine isn't started or when the alternator stops generating, and tends to vary noticeably with engine speed.

In either case, when the light is on, a voltmeter can be used to verify what's happening.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
. . . Any recommendations on better or best replacement alternator choices?
One of the problems with "rebuilt" or "remanufactured" alternators is just what is replaced during the process. For example, does the rebuilding factory always replace the regulator with a new one, or is it replaced only if the recycled alternator exhibits a faulty regulator symptom at the factory? Would it test all alternators sufficiently to identify an intermittent regulator? Guess who might end up doing the quality control in that case . . ..

In the past, @eagleeye has recommended newly-built alternators from DB Electrical (https://www.dbelectrical.com/). Not sure what the situation is now, but perhaps this is still an alternative.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:32 PM

Just another thought:

The alternator regulator "senses" the system voltage through fuse #17 (7.5 A) in the engine compartment fuse box. I'm not certain, but if that fuse blows, or develops an intermittent connection, leading to no voltage feedback to the alternator, it's possible that too could cause the alternator to max out. In this case, the high voltage output isn't due to a fault in the alternator. It might be an idea to replace fuse #17 with a new one to be sure the connections between the fuse blades and the fuse box contacts are good.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain OM View Post
One of the problems with "rebuilt" or "remanufactured" alternators is just what is replaced during the process. For example, does the rebuilding factory always replace the regulator with a new one, or is it replaced only if the recycled alternator exhibits a faulty regulator symptom at the factory? Would it test all alternators sufficiently to identify an intermittent regulator? Guess who might end up doing the quality control in that case . . ..

In the past, @eagleeye has recommended newly-built alternators from DB Electrical (https://www.dbelectrical.com/). Not sure what the situation is now, but perhaps this is still an alternative.
similar to the new ones from DB: there is also Maniac in Texes,

and rounding up the real Mitsubishi USA ones. (if that was the factory original in 2009 LGT)

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:12 AM

Car: Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
The brushes in your alternator are probably almost worn out. When this happens sometimes they are making contact and sometimes they are not.

Seagrass

MY11 Outback 3.6R Premium (Daily drive)
MY06 Forester XT 2.5 (Youngest daughter driving)
MY07 Liberty/Legacy 2.5 (Eldest daughter)
MY04 Impreza RS 2.5 (Sold Jan 2019)
MY02 Impreza 2.0 (Son in Law)
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrass View Post
The brushes in your alternator are probably almost worn out. When this happens sometimes they are making contact and sometimes they are not.

Seagrass
Makes sense. What is the expected life of alternator brushes?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Started it up again today and dash battery light is on again. My son and I measured system voltage and it was 11.7. Replacement alternator is in took only ~10 mins for us and it appears the issue is solved now. We have 14.5 volts now. Are modern alternators typically short on life expectancy. In the past I am used to them going for way longer than 66k.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Started it up again today and dash battery light is on again. My son and I measured system voltage and it was 11.7. Replacement alternator is in took only ~10 mins for us and it appears the issue is solved now. We have 14.5 volts now. Are modern alternators typically short on life expectancy. In the past I am used to them going for way longer than 66k.
Probably a random failure rather than a pattern.

Incidentally, when the Battery warning light was on, did the Brake warning light come on as well (if it wasn't already on because the parking brake was being applied)? It should have.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain OM View Post
Probably a random failure rather than a pattern.

Incidentally, when the Battery warning light was on, did the Brake warning light come on as well (if it wasn't already on because the parking brake was being applied)? It should have.
Yes, the brake light was on as well.

plain OM likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: