Factory Radio issues Gen 3 2.5l - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Factory Radio issues Gen 3 2.5l

I recently had a problem in my 07 OB with the radio modes not changing. It will toggle between FM-1 FM-2 and AM but if i were to switch to AUX, CD, or SAT nothing happens. I use AUX all the time and then one day it just stopped. I thought it was a bad radio so i simply ordered a new factory radio off Ebay. It was only 49 dollars and i thought it would be a really easy fix. I installed this new radio yesterday and before putting it all back together i checked to be sure it worked. and wouldn't you know it. The SAME problem. everything but the mode toggle works. It switched FM and AM just fine. Its unlikely the same exact problem was happening with the radio. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this? I dont want to move to an aftermarket radio as it looks cheesy to me, Id like to keep things stock. Help me out anyway you can! I would be interested in knowing the details of the wiring harness and maybe some diagrams of routes and purpose, or color codes. I want AUX to work before my road trip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:00 PM

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i
I don't know a lot about the radios but I do know that you cannot switch to AUX if it does not detect an AUX cord and you cannot switch to SAT unless it detects that you have it plugged in to the radio.
I would assume it's the same for CD as well.

That being said, do you use SAT? If you do not have the package then the button will not do anything.

So, have you tried checking your AUX cord and jack? Maybe try a different cord and wiggle it around.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHHAX View Post
I don't know a lot about the radios but I do know that you cannot switch to AUX if it does not detect an AUX cord and you cannot switch to SAT unless it detects that you have it plugged in to the radio.
I would assume it's the same for CD as well.

That being said, do you use SAT? If you do not have the package then the button will not do anything.

So, have you tried checking your AUX cord and jack? Maybe try a different cord and wiggle it around.
I was just about to post to ask for some help for the same problem on my 2008 Outback Base model 97k miles. Hopefully we can get this resolved.

I don't think CD mode works either, but I honestly don't have any cds to test with...

I thought about the radio not detecting the AUX signal, so i tried providing an input signal, but was unable to get response when pushing any of the buttons. I will try a few more cords, but then I'm not sure if it is the aux port that could be bad.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:47 PM

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc1010 View Post
I was just about to post to ask for some help for the same problem on my 2008 Outback Base model 97k miles. Hopefully we can get this resolved.

I don't think CD mode works either, but I honestly don't have any cds to test with...

I thought about the radio not detecting the AUX signal, so i tried providing an input signal, but was unable to get response when pushing any of the buttons. I will try a few more cords, but then I'm not sure if it is the aux port that could be bad.

I have heard, that the AUX port can go bad. (Specifically the switch?) not sure.

But for both of you I would try and see if you can get a CD in there, that way we can determine if the issue is just related to AUX input.

I've heard on some other models that if you just pop the aux connector box out (Not sure if its as easy as that, I think it is) the wiring harness could be loose.

I hope this kind of helps, I haven't had the issue before.

Also, I don't know if it has issue with 2.5 mm jacks, it probably does, so make sure you're still using a 3.5mm.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM

Car: 2008 Outback H6 LL Bean , 94 Ford Aerostar
I have that radio on my car but where is the 3.5mm audio input located???
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
I have that radio on my car but where is the 3.5mm audio input located???
Would be in the center console if you have it from the factory.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:46 PM

Car: 2008 Outback H6 LL Bean , 94 Ford Aerostar
Would be in the center console if you have it from the factory.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Cannot find it, there is a small D shaped tab on the plastic cover over the transmission selector but I removed it and it's just a hole nothing else. Is this where it should be??? I have the 5 CD player if that makes any difference.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:44 PM
goz

Car: 2015 Outback Limited 3.6R
I can't help with your search for the aux in, but the small plastic cover by the shift lever lets your access the shift lock release button. If your shift lever is ever stuck in park, you take off that cover, push the button, and it should release the interlock so you can shift.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: