05 OBXT new turbo/take a hit? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By idosubaru
  • 2 Post By JmP6889928

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 OBXT new turbo/take a hit?

Hi, new to the forum but have creeped for a while, and now I have a big question worth asking here. About a year ago I bought my obxt without knowing enough about them.. I know, that was my first mistake. I regret it.. to a degree. but have loved driving it!

When I bought it I knew it had a new turbo but did not know it was a crappy after market turbo. not sure of the brand just know that after a year it is now leaking oil from the turbo. I knew enough at the point of sale to ask about the health of the engine and if it had been compromised. After driving it for around 10k with regular oil changes the engine is still rock solid. idles perfectly, never had a hiccup.

It had 123k at point of sale and is the limited model(don't think that makes a whole lot of difference but, hey..)

Here is the history of what my (previous) mechanic has done to the car:
checked/replaced all fluids immediately performed an all around inspection
replaced front struts. and cv axles
nothing but regular oil changes until 2 months ago
started to smell some oil smoke
turbo oil return line changed out
intercooler gasket changed
still smoke here and there
found out the mechanic had put regular oil in twice(first two oil changes) even as i asked for synthetic
changed that oil out and informed me that would not be harmful as I got oil changed every 3k
now upon bringing it to the new mechanic after many hours of trying to replace turbo gaskets he has found oil leaking from the metal on metal connection on the turbo.

sooo, I have not been driving it to ensure the turbo doesn't fail and cash out the engine.. but with a move coming up Idk what to do. I have posted it up locally with full disclosure of what is going on, and have started researching alternatives to the OEM turbo. The BNR evo3 16g looks like a much better option, but it sounds like I will need a tune? Maybe additional components?

I really do love this car but getting around is a priority right now. The big question still remains should I sell for cheap or replace the turbo then sell?

Any input on the situation would be greatly appreciated. Although the car is fun it has provided more anxiety than transport lately

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:42 AM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yeah, just be done and sell it cheap - PM me.

OEM turbo.

If you had the original, rebuild it with a melet CHRA. I don't know if that's a good idea to rebuild an aftermarket housing though, i don't spend much time with turbo's and generally avoid them. Maybe you can buy a used OEM one and rebuild it?

if you're ditching the car i wouldn't waste time on cheap options or upgrades. fix it right and enjoy it or move on. those cars have good resale value so it's worth doing it right, this isn't a rusted out, base model, devalued subaru.

jttt likes this.

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

hmm wont let me pm you until I have 15 posts.. Anyways If I keep it I think my plan would be to replace the turbo with a bnr replace the up pipe with a cat-less one, bypass the oil line and get it tuned. all of which about meeting what it would cost to do just the OEM turbo if my math is right

I talked to Bryan from BNR today and was able to get the answer for questions I had, which turned into part of me wanting to see this through correctly.

right now the problem Im having with selling it is I am in a small town and have not had many good bites on it, I am moving to a much larger city soon but would need to get the car there, which is why I am thinking of fixing it right, driving it there and selling it to somebody who understands the value of the car and getting more money out of it(factoring in the upgrade cost) than I would selling it as is. Does that make sense? or does this seem like a foolish idea?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:47 AM

Car: 2005 LGT 2.6 5EAT Sedan
Where is it leaking oil from? Are you sure it's the turbo and not the inner axle boot split and slinging grease on the exhaust? I can help with the turbo if you want. Look me up under the same name on legacygt.com and see what you find. Here's a few I've done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom VF40 Red.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	452435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom VF40 (2).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	452437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom VF46 Black and Silver.jpg
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	452439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom VF46 Black 2.jpg
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	452441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom VF46 Black 1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	452443  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom VF40.jpg
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	452445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom VF40 VHT Flat Orange.jpg
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	452447  
1 Lucky Texan and seagrass like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: