'05 OB sunfroof won't close - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Car: '03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
'05 OB sunfroof won't close

My friend with the '05 OB is coming by shortly. From what he described on the phone, the air deflector won't move, and the sunroof won't close. Yea - not real explicit!

What should I look for/at when the culprit gets here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:09 PM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good thread here; there are probably others:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ml#post4120170

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Car: '03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
Yea - looked at a bunch of them, but didn't see anything that looked promising!

The car just got here. The drivers side of the front air deflector glass did not rise up like the passenger side when the main glass was first opened, and now when the main glass is moved forward, the passenger side does not come back down.

Unfortunately, I cannot see anything broken at this point ( and I have yet to decipher exactly how the raising/lowering mechanism works).
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

OK - Found something finally.

There is a lever on both sides that has a plastic roller of some sort sticking off towards the outside. On the passenger side, the plastic knob was broken off, and the round steel bar that it was supposed to be on was stuck down in the track, whereas the driver side lever and knob is in an upwards position ( the plastic knob is up in the open air above the track). See the pictures below ( I freed up the lever from being stuck rotated down in the track). Both pictures are taken from the passengers side of the car.

I can make another plastic roller, but I need to know what it the correct position of these 2 levers when the main glass is in the open position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0912.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	452473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0913.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	452475  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Well, while I was in here posting, another friend scoped things out further and got it to close fully. Advise to the car owner now - leave the damned thing closed!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:11 AM

Car: 2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pare View Post
Well, while I was in here posting, another friend scoped things out further and got it to close fully. Advise to the car owner now - leave the damned thing closed!
I've got the same problem and as far as my experience has gone, there are no repair parts. The solution seems to be finding a salvage unit and hope the parts from it will last! Replacing those parts isn't easy either, it seems. Most instructions say you have to remove the headliner to access the tracks which have to be dropped in order for the defective parts to slide out of the track.

I'm holding out hope that someone will come up with a fix but until then I have put a piece of tape over my sunroof control to prevent me or others from trying to open!

Until then, guess it's AC for me!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

In this instance, one of the issues was that the grease in the tracks had gotten solid enough that the piece with those levers took an inordinate amount of force to slide them along, which maybe was the cause of the breakage of the plastic roller. Nothing else seemed to be affected ( like broken or bent).

For the moment, my friend will keep the damned thing shut, until we sometime later have the time to make new rollers ( will replace both, since age is also a possibility of why it broke in the first place). Thankfully, owning a complete machine shop makes that possibility a lot easier than trying to replace the whole mechanism, and less risky - replacing old plastic with old plastic is an invitation to another breakage of the same parts.

When it comes time to make new rollers, I'll post in case someone else needs some.
Evil Soob likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:52 AM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pare View Post
When it comes time to make new rollers, I'll post in case someone else needs some.
I'm in, in case that motivates you to do this more quickly. Mine is used a lot and I want spares now, with summer coming!

Any idea what grease would be best to use here? I see a lot of dust and pet dander buildup in my tracks, and this incident is a reminder that it would be a good idea to clean and re-grease the mechanism as a preventative measure.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:15 AM

Car: 2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
'05 OB sunfroof won't close

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnre View Post
I'm in, in case that motivates you to do this more quickly. Mine is used a lot and I want spares now, with summer coming!

Any idea what grease would be best to use here? I see a lot of dust and pet dander buildup in my tracks, and this incident is a reminder that it would be a good idea to clean and re-grease the mechanism as a preventative measure.

This stuff doesn’t get dry and thick like lithium/sodium soap based greases. Used to get it years ago under the archer label at RadioShack. Isn't as tacky as some GL2 service grade greases, so it doesn’t attract as much dust/dirt.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-21.../dp/B06WLQ251B
johnre likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:35 AM

Car: 2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
I think, in my case, it's a result of UV degradation. the plastic was so brittle it just crumbled. I like the idea of aluminum!

Richard, I'd drive up to Indy and pay generously to get my moonroof working again! I have some friends who work in tool & die shops but I don't have a pattern to work from since my parts disintegrated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: