Another post on adding Bluetooth/ aux/ newer head unit into a 2005 obxt - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another post on adding Bluetooth/ aux/ newer head unit into a 2005 obxt

Donít come and yell that I didnít read and search old threads, I did.

Iím not mechanically inclined or comfortable with soldering. My issue is that theyíre sooooo many different posts on how to change and what to change to get aux or Bluetooth that I just get so overwhelmed and anxious that I canít process it all and close all the tabs if that makes sense.

If can someone can just tell me or post the easiest, hopefully cheap, way for me to listen to my iPhone XS in my 2005 obxt in a broken down manner, Iíd appreciate it sooooo much !

I rather not spend the $$$ on a jdm double din head unit. I have an American outback so I canít use the grom method. No chance in **** i feel comfortable with soldering with the jazzy mod.

I think the easiest way is to swap a 07+ head unit in with aux. any help? ? Part numbers? Guide?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:51 PM

Car: 2006 Outback 2.5i Auto
I'm getting reasonable quality sound from a Bluetooth to FM transmitter device, stuck in the cigarette lighter socket. No changes to the head unit or any DIY work required.

Using this: https://www.amazon.com/Just-Wireless...dp/B077QQHY54/

It only just fits between the cover flap and the dash, so you might find a cigarette lighter socket extension or similar.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:31 PM

Car: 2005 Outback 2.5i, Auto Transmission, 270k+
Quote:
Originally Posted by swithunf View Post
Don’t come and yell that I didn’t read and search old threads, I did.

I’m not mechanically inclined or comfortable with soldering. My issue is that they’re sooooo many different posts on how to change and what to change to get aux or Bluetooth that I just get so overwhelmed and anxious that I can’t process it all and close all the tabs if that makes sense.

If can someone can just tell me or post the easiest, hopefully cheap, way for me to listen to my iPhone XS in my 2005 obxt in a broken down manner, I’d appreciate it sooooo much !

I rather not spend the $$$ on a jdm double din head unit. I have an American outback so I can’t use the grom method. No chance in **** i feel comfortable with soldering with the jazzy mod.

I think the easiest way is to swap a 07+ head unit in with aux. any help? ? Part numbers? Guide?
Slow down, deep breath in, hold it, exhale slowly...

You didn't mention any specific threads, and whether or not you checked any over at legacygt.com, so I don't know if you came across this or not:

Subaru Legacy / Liberty / Outback BL BP OEM HU Transplant

<edit> Which model radio do you have (single CD, six-CD, etc)? The Jazzy website lists products that are compatible with six and single-CD radios, and according to the instructions, all you are doing is unplugging a ribbon cable, plugging into the adapter, and then plugging *that* cable back into the radio.

If you can give us more info about what specific factory head unit you have, we might be able to help a little better (pulling the H/U out and finding the *exact* model number would be a huge help!)

2005 2.5i, automatic
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:41 PM

Car: 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2003 Audi TTq, 2019 Renegade Ltd
The most straightforward way would either be the Jazzy adapter, or swapping in a newer p204UH headunit and getting a Grom Bluetooth module.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
The most straightforward way would either be the Jazzy adapter, or swapping in a newer p204UH headunit and getting a Grom Bluetooth module.
I thought Grom was an option for non_US models only(?).

2005 2.5i, automatic
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:25 PM

Car: 05 LL Bean
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoti View Post
I thought Grom was an option for non_US models only(?).
Don't think so.

I have a 2005 LLBean that a previous owner transplanted a 2007 unit and added a Grom bluetooth adapter. Unless I'm missing something, using the bluetooth is awkward at best.

Whoever installed the Grom unit pulled the mike, a 3.5 socket and two usb sockets in the cubby above the HU. I sent an email to grom asking for an explanation of what all these did and received a canned response saying adapters were available for my particular model. That helped a lot. I downloaded all the pertinent manuals but here iswhat I have to do to use my LG phone hands free:

To answer a call
Select "Aux"
Dig my phone off my belt and press "send"
Then press "End" on the phone

To call out,
Select "Aux"
Dig my phone off my belt and punch the number and press "send"

Yes I could use a holder for the phone and sometimes do. Then I walk away leaving the phone in the car.

It works so much easier in my wife's VW Tiguan. If I'm missing something someone please let me know because Grom apparently doesn't care since I'm not in the market to buy anything.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisinsc View Post
Don't think so.

I have a 2005 LLBean that a previous owner transplanted a 2007 unit and added a Grom bluetooth adapter. Unless I'm missing something, using the bluetooth is awkward at best.

Whoever installed the Grom unit pulled the mike, a 3.5 socket and two usb sockets in the cubby above the HU. I sent an email to grom asking for an explanation of what all these did and received a canned response saying adapters were available for my particular model. That helped a lot. I downloaded all the pertinent manuals but here iswhat I have to do to use my LG phone hands free:

To answer a call
Select "Aux"
Dig my phone off my belt and press "send"

To call out,
Select "Aux"
Dig my phone off my belt and punch the number and press "send"

Yes I could use a holder for the phone and sometimes do. Then I walk away leaving the phone in the car.

It works so much easier in my wife's VW Tiguan. If I'm missing something someone please let me know because Grom apparently doesn't care since I'm not in the market to buy anything.
Huh-

Grom needs to update/change their website, then. Everything I found referred to "Non-US Models".

Thanks for the info!

2005 2.5i, automatic
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:40 AM

Car: 05 LL Bean
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoti View Post
Huh-

Grom needs to update/change their website, then. Everything I found referred to "Non-US Models".

Thanks for the info!
The HU has to be 07 or later as it needs the "Aux" selection. See here for availablr kits https://gromaudio.com/store/all-sub08.html
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:43 AM

Car: '17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
I thought the Aux in would p&p with the older units?

'17 3.6R Touring BBP
'04 Foz XS
'01 Bean Wagon
'00 OBW
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:36 PM

Car: 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2003 Audi TTq, 2019 Renegade Ltd
No, the only way to add any kind of auxiliary input to the early head units is through soldering or some kind of transmitter module, it doesn't have a provision for any other kind of inputs (at least nothing easy)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: