I didn't know I needed this. . . (rear diff cover with cooling fins) - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I didn't know I needed this. . . (rear diff cover with cooling fins)

This was underneath an 03 Legacy SE wagon I sold recently. Never saw a cover like that on a Subaru. . . not even a WRX.

They're usually really boring and look like this:

Guess I'm gonna have to start buying more Legacies!

(probably don't need it, it just appeals to the l337 auto nerd in me)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

lockmedicben AT gmail

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:25 AM

Car: 2005 3.0 R n totaled
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You can always add one (on some models) for extreme racing applications/conditions...

http://www.cuscousainc.com/downloads...tial_cover.pdf

Quidquid agis, prudenter agas et respice finem.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:29 AM

Car: 2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
Send a message via Yahoo to priyadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockmedic View Post

This was underneath an 03 Legacy SE wagon I sold recently. Never saw a cover like that on a Subaru. . . not even a WRX.
Actually, I noticed that the temperature in the rear differential in both my Subaru's is about 20F higher than the temperature in wheel bearings. Therefore, putting fins in the rear differential makes sense in providing more dissipation of heat.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Absolutely. . . I've just never seen an OEM finned rear diff cover. . . let alone on a lowly Legacy wagon. This is the sort of thing I'd expect to see on an STi. . . and apparently it's an aftermarket item there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

lockmedicben AT gmail

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockmedic View Post
Absolutely. . . I've just never seen an OEM finned rear diff cover. . . let alone on a lowly Legacy wagon. This is the sort of thing I'd expect to see on an STi. . . and apparently it's an aftermarket item there.
possibly a issue of one or more of the following.

"customer wants car back ASAP, and is wiling to pay whatever the cost is, (even if no other cheaper typical alternatives are offered or explored)."

someone looked up the gear ratio, and pulled that part new or used.

or someone delivered the race part on the shelf, vs. the plain jane that was next to it.

like if someone ordered a 351 Windsor engine, and got a 351 Modified race engine. ....as they were just all sitting together.

Maybe you should have pulled that "thing" off there, and swapped on a plain jane.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

I probably would have but customer was on his way for the car, I only jacked it up to swap wheels. If I would have noticed it on the way in I might have swapped it for an 'upgraded' H6 outback VLSD and shelved the nice finned one.

I need to get with the new owner in a few days anyway, might see if he wants to trade. Older missionary couple, sorta doubt they're the type to pull the front axles and turn it into a drift tank and thus benefit from a finned rear diff cover.

Posted the same pic to the definitive source for all weird things Subaru: NASIOC. . . well, them and @rkrenicki. We'll see if anyone else has seen one.

lockmedicben AT gmail

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:46 AM

Car: 2004 Outback H6 Sedan, 1996 Legacy Outback H4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Perrin makes (made?) a finned cover for the R160 series of diffs, but I haven't seen that one before... Where is the fill plug? On the upper right side?

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:51 AM

Car: Outback 2006 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
Just checked my 2006 3.0 - it has a finned rear cover to the diff, not as extensive as shown above but still.....
It's stock (as far as I know).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1695.JPG
Views:	874
Size:	791.1 KB
ID:	184546   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1694.JPG
Views:	1574
Size:	754.9 KB
ID:	184554  

Nikinikitembonosorembooohmamuchigummagummaguchi
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 10:03 AM

Car: 2004 Outback H6 Sedan, 1996 Legacy Outback H4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well, turns out that it is OEM. I found one for sale here from a 2002 Legacy L: 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 Subaru Legacy Rear End Carrier Pumpkin Differential | eBay

According to Opposedforces.com it was on 2000-2002 Legacy L and Legacy Brighton only. The part number is 38300AC130.

That explains why I havent come across it, as I focus on 2003-2004 and only GT or Outback for earlier years.
eagleeye and Subaruhouse like this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
I just found this notation on Off Road subarus:

OffRoo'd FAQ - Off Road - Ultimate Subaru Message Board

..." '00 and newer Subaru Foresters and Legacys are available with 4.44 R-160s (open or viscous LSD), with rumors pointing to the finned rear cover being a clue to the identity of the LSD differentials. "...

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: