2001 H6 VDC or not ? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face 2001 H6 VDC or not ?

Hello !

I'm a first time Subaru owner and my first post on your (and now mine ) forums, my boss finally convinced me to give up on my beloved Mopars and get a Subaru for the winter

I just gave a deposit on a 2001 Outback Wagon H6 and I will have the car next weekend
The first thing I checked when I did a test drive was for VDC tags on the sides and there was none and since it's a 2001 there are no VDC off switch inside
However that car was repainted with a urethane based paint and they did a good job, the typical canadian rust holes in the rear fenders were fixed too

car is loaded, dual sunroof, leather heating seats etc
vin check on several places including carfax say the car is a VDC
since the car was repainted it's possible it is and the tags were not put back OR it could be just a H6 "base" and they share the same trim number in the vin ? the seventh digit is a 9, I know a LL Bean would be 0 there

checking several websites like Edmunds some of them show that 2001 had a H6 base model that was not LL BEAN or VDC while other only mention LL Bean and VDC for that year and since Canada also has a long tradition of having different trim level than USA or special edition cars that makes thing even more complicated

I won't know until I have the car but I'm very curious if I scored a better than expected deal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

also the vin plate in the engine bay mention the following model BHEBYCE option code COTW trim code 010

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
does it have a McIntosh labeled audio system in the dash, or any remains of it, like a "mcintosh" labeled base speaker in the passenger side of the hatch?

Canadians got leather clad H6 Limiteds without the LLBean labels.

(edmunds I don't think has notations for Canadians).

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:00 PM

Car: '02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
We won't know if you got a good deal or not without knowing the price of the car.

There are also several things to check in addition to the sleuthing you have done so far.

1st things 1st though
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
does it have a McIntosh labeled audio system in the dash, or any remains of it, like a "mcintosh" labeled base speaker in the passenger side of the hatch?

Canadians got leather clad H6 Limiteds without the LLBean labels.

(edmunds I don't think has notations for Canadians).
there was a label on the driver door but it was unreadable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxterfan67 View Post
We won't know if you got a good deal or not without knowing the price of the car.

There are also several things to check in addition to the sleuthing you have done so far.

1st things 1st though
not my first car and I'm not a noob except on Subaru ... car owner and doing most of my mechanical works since 1986 I worked a few times on the 2004 Outback of my boss

I checked a lot of things and I expect a few unwelcomed surprises when I will start to work on it , it needs 4 good snow tires and they are mandatory over here in Quebec

let just say that I got that car for $1.X K canadian X beeing lower than $300 214K km
winshdield is cracked , 1 rust hole in the passeger side rear door interior
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

the only picture I took of the interior
I don't remember what the radio looked like
I remember trying the climate control and that A/C doesn't work (for a winter car anyway not too usefull)
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainB View Post

not my first car and I'm not a noob except on Subaru ... car owner and doing most of my mechanical works since 1986 I worked a few times on the 2004 Outback of my boss

I checked a lot of things and I expect a few unwelcomed surprises when I will start to work on it , it needs 4 good snow tires and they are mandatory over here in Quebec

let just say that I got that car for $1.X K canadian X beeing lower than $300 214K km

Oh no worries. No assumptions on your used car savvy.

If you bought ANY H6 Subaru in running condition for that much it's a deal.

The engine alone is worth more than that, even at that mileage, as long as it doesn't run hot.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainB View Post

I got a label in the drivers door of my 2.5 car,....and it is also unreadable, ....it was put there by the dealer 30,000 or so miles in when the gauge cluster died and the dealer put in a new one putting the correct miles in. paper stick on label in the drivers door jam, and they wrote it with a sharpie,...but that faded.

Get a windsheild from another subaru with leather seats from 2000-2004, or you have to look for one with the heated wiper park in it. (winter package= all weather package is what they called it in the cloth seat ones as a option,...but it was included in the leather limiteds H4 or H6)

here is a pretty good write up of the US sold 2001s
2001 Subaru Outback options, prices, all currrent and older Subarus Outbacks Foresters Imprezas Bajas
boxterfan67 likes this.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

the label is on the outside of the driver's door just above the cladding if you zoom a lot on the picture you could guess where it is, on the upper left of the Outback logo

in my to do list next week : oil change, coolant flush, shooting the underside with oil and general check
I may have a Canadian limited H6 I found on a canadian site 2 H6 listed for 2001 , limited and limited VDC no LL Bean
maybe because we don't have LL Bean stores over here and some trade marks issues ????
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:00 PM

From the pic of the interior, it looks just like mine. Is there a raised relief of the LL Bean logo on the front seatbacks? It's pretty large, you can't miss it. Still doesn't establish a pedigree one way or another, but it may help for identification purposes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: