Sleeper vdc - Page 42 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
post #411 of 727 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This car has come a long way. From its beginnings in Boston to the heat of Central Texas, its traveled a lot of miles. It flipped 191k this week while I was running 100 mph. People can't believe how old it is. People wouldn't believe this was possible. "Professional" builders and tuners only saw instant failure. "You'll blow the motor", "The computer won't run it", "You'll fail".

And?

I wasn't concerned for the engine. The EZ30 is a tough son of a bitch. Its an aircraft engine put on 4 wheels and a cage wrapped around it. I knew the engine could take it. My concern was the management. Sure, I could have put the engine in anything else. I could have done the norm and just modified an STI. Where's the fun in that? Instead I have a top of the line Subaru Outback VDC with all the systems working that puts out, at the date of this post, 286 WHP. Go anywhere and get there faster. That's what some of us want. That's what some of us get. As long as we don't listen to the negative hype and bullshit spewed from the mouths of internet junkies that believe everything they read without actually researching what they've read.

So far, the ones who worked on my ECM are spread out in different countries, all communicating via e-mail, texting, WhatsApp, etc.. Each have varying levels of expertise and experience. A couple of them haven't even communicated with the others at all, but had access to the work at hand. What started out as an impossible venture has become a great accomplishment to these people. Each one has a piece of this car in them. They stepped outside the box they were in and extended their efforts to make it work. Everyone learned something from this. A lot of beliefs changed.

Tim at Raptor had first responded to me that he didn't think it would work with this car. After looking at several builders of turbos and superchargers, I kept at him. Because he makes a great product and he's always working to improve on it, I wanted to know who he knew could possibly help out.

Tuners were contacted all over the world. No one wanted to touch it. They believed the ECM was not capable of running the engine. Months of emails to people who purported knowledge and skill in Subaru, Nissan and Mitsubishi ECM tuning and engine building would either have a negative response or none at all. "Delete - Trash". Don't need you.

Here comes Ed from XRT. He believes he can make it work and is willing to try. Off we go. 3 reflashes that worked and my car is in the works for good. Ed worked long hours on this ROM and treated it as if it was his own car. I liked that. I treat every customer's car I touch as its my own and I expect it from others. Its a quality that's hard to find but it shows where the heart is. Weeks go by, issues pop up, Ed is still there, patient, Tim is biting his nails and I keep telling them, it'll work. Maxed out the tune as far as possible and left the car leaning out above 5500 rpm until someone figured out what to do about the MAP sensor issue.

10 months later, here's another Ed from Fast Performance Tuning (I still chuckle. If these two Eds ever get together in the same room, you may think they're twins. Not by looks, but in the way they work and take responsibility for what they do. I'd bet once they start talking to each other, the conversation may not end.) Ed has an idea that no one thought about up to his entry in this chore. Change the MAP sensor. Duh. Why the **** didn't we think of it prior? Because all the cars have always been tuned with OEM equipment. But this is speed density and the voltage is the key. Rescaling the OEM sensor was out of the question, so from Ed #2, change the sensor, problem solved. Well, close. I still think the ECM is criss crossing absolute and relative pressures and the values are off (I have another ECM on standby). But, its enough to "Tune this thing", as Ed puts it. He put a lot of hours into this ECM also.

We all got input from different people this last year concerning its programming. It would seem its been a worldwide venture. US, Australia, Nederlands, Barbados, S. Africa, Canada and different engineers in varying countries in Europe.

It seems this car wants to make people work. Don't come at it with preconceived notions that it can be tamed easily or you'll just trick it. No. It toys with you. Makes you think you're in control of it, then BAM, "Who's your daddy?". Not that way, try again. Headaches, cuts, bruises, high blood pressure, late nights with pencil and paper, research, math, math and more math. So many equations working at once. And its not just the engine. I'm still working towards drivetrain components that will hold the engine and trans in the car. It wants to jump out and go. (Look closely at the video, you'll see. When the car lifts, the engine keeps lifting. It needs the car to keep up. Its like the dog that pulls on the leash. Come one!!! Lets go!!)

But it still drives normal. Smooth. I don't take it at high speeds all the time. Its a cruiser. Its comfortable and sounds great. It has an excellent stereo system and the AC is perfect. The ride is perfect. And when the itch comes to take it to the limit, its ready. When I'm driving down the expressway and that kid in the Mustang 5.0 slows for a double take and taunts, all I do is floor it and watch it in the mirror as I leave it behind. You know what I'm talking about, but its not just that a wagon just outran a plastic Ford. Its the instant rumble, the push back in the seat, the feel of the car accelerating and the small rise in blood pressure that gives you what you want. Its the heartbeat of the engine racing with yours.

That's why you build it. That's why you work at it. That's why you drive it. Its you and you become a part of it.

I can't thank these guys enough, really. Ed, Ed, Tim, guys from the RR forum I haven't met, the few tuners that stepped in to help where they could from outside the immediate circle and locals that kept cheering me on.

Thank You

We'll see if we can push it further. I still have a delivery from Tim I'm waiting on. Not sure exactly what its going to accomplish, but he says I'll like it. Its only a couple weeks behind. (hint, hint Tim )

BigVinnie likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #412 of 727 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 01:04 AM

Car: 2000 Outback 5MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ha, is that a Chevrolet small block shoved in a Porsche?

post #413 of 727 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsthatmoo View Post
Ha, is that a Chevrolet small block shoved in a Porsche?
Yes it is. A small 427/600HP (Tom corrected me today, he just had it redone on his trip to Ohio)

Tom, the designer and owner of the car is a GM fanatic. He's been building cars for a loonng time. He's currently working, slowly, on a Willis Coupe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1601.JPG
Views:	5195
Size:	889.2 KB
ID:	56042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1606.JPG
Views:	5140
Size:	665.9 KB
ID:	56050  

post #414 of 727 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dyno Tuning

Ran it on the dyno to try to tune timing. We got it topped out at 291.75 WHP but the ECM keeps retarding timing every time it was added. It would start at 4500ish then go nuts at 6600, retarding up to -14.5. Not what we expected, but hey, its still an original. Gonna do some figurin' and see what comes of it.

I had a thought to go hotter plugs. Say, #7.

post #415 of 727 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Going through all the logs again, here is a graph of the run that hit 291.75.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	291.75 graph_Rev12F.jpg
Views:	4966
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	56553   Click image for larger version

Name:	292 graph from Ed.png
Views:	4962
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	56561  

post #416 of 727 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
what a beast!

wonder if the torque could shifted to lower rpm?

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #417 of 727 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Fuel and timing changes that were made on the dyno would change the curve. The low end torque is still higher than a stock WRX or OBXT.

I was looking at the logging data, and I need to get the fuel down to 11:1 under boost above 4000k rpm. If the "knocking" issue is pinpointed to keep the ECM from pulling the timing, I should be able to hit 300+ at 11:1 with 9-10 psi boost and intake temps below 110F by 6500 rpm. The knock correction is holding it back. If it is knocking, its because the 12/13:1 fuel is doing it.

I've had an idea that the ECM is seeing 2 psi lower relative than what it actually is, which means when it should be adding fuel for 8 or 9 psi boost, its actually only running for 6 or 7 leaning the actual trims out. Normal driving as of late has produced 18 mpg, so the fuel map isn't off for cruising. Its the boosted map that's the issue. There is room for the injectors to run more fuel at high rpm. In the 291HP log, the duty cycle was at 76.5% @ 67-6800 rpm.

I am going to swap and reflash the "extra" ECM and see if the replacement ECM sees the same pressures as the original. The replacement ECM is out of another 01 H6. That may not be until Sunday.

post #418 of 727 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 10:05 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
Fuel and timing changes that were made on the dyno would change the curve. The low end torque is still higher than a stock WRX or OBXT.

I was looking at the logging data, and I need to get the fuel down to 11:1 under boost above 4000k rpm. If the "knocking" issue is pinpointed to keep the ECM from pulling the timing, I should be able to hit 300+ at 11:1 with 9-10 psi boost and intake temps below 110F by 6500 rpm. The knock correction is holding it back. If it is knocking, its because the 12/13:1 fuel is doing it.

I've had an idea that the ECM is seeing 2 psi lower relative than what it actually is, which means when it should be adding fuel for 8 or 9 psi boost, its actually only running for 6 or 7 leaning the actual trims out. Normal driving as of late has produced 18 mpg, so the fuel map isn't off for cruising. Its the boosted map that's the issue. There is room for the injectors to run more fuel at high rpm. In the 291HP log, the duty cycle was at 76.5% @ 67-6800 rpm.

I am going to swap and reflash the "extra" ECM and see if the replacement ECM sees the same pressures as the original. The replacement ECM is out of another 01 H6. That may not be until Sunday.
if I understand correctly, one possible path to pursue, would be to electronically 'invert' the pressure signal, then re-scale it. Then the curve should enrich as rpms/boost go up. - I think. Might be a fiddly way to do it - but should work.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #419 of 727 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 08:25 PM

Car: 1995 2.2 Auto Legacy Sedan
What an awesome ride. This machine is very impressive. You really have to see it to believe it. So much fun to ride in and you make it so easy for the laymen like me to understand. Y'all should be very proud of what you have accomplished. Congratulations.

2001 Outback H6 LL Bean
1995 2.2 Auto Legacy LS Sedan
Austin, Texas
post #420 of 727 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Lucky Texan View Post
if I understand correctly, one possible path to pursue, would be to electronically 'invert' the pressure signal, then re-scale it. Then the curve should enrich as rpms/boost go up. - I think. Might be a fiddly way to do it - but should work.
The circuit for the BARO is the problem. Somewhere along the lines of reflashing it or just coinkidink, its getting the values reversed. The only repair that I know of is a replacement. I have one in my toolbox.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: