New guy with an 02 VDC - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 06:34 PM

Car: '03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Oh yea - get and OBD 2 reader so that you can identify what is wrong when the Check Engine light comes on. You can go for the simple readers that you can get for under $50, or go for a setup that will allow you to record everything and play back on your smart phone, tablet, or laptop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2002 Subaru Outback H6 VDC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
anything wrong with the unique factory McIntosh speakers?

can't buy anything better made, people here might buy them so don't throw them out. (or any other McIntosh stuff).

_____
They are starting to get buzzy, especially on the passenger side. The tweeters also have a decent amount of noise in them right now. No matter what, I'll be leaving the McIntosh headunit in because anything else will look out of place in this car.

And, like I said, it looks like rust is starting to form on the undercarriage. I'm not sure if it has been there or if that happened after moving to Florida last year, but I definitely want to get that taken care of.

I'll probably get a set of jack stands and a hydraulic lift because those are things that will be very useful down the line as well for things like oil changes and other repairs.

2002 Subaru Outback H6 3.0L VDC Automatic (91,000)
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pare View Post
Rust at the top rear of the rear wheel wells will not show up from the outside until the rust has progresses enough to bubble the paint - next step after that is a hole showing up. The only way to see what is going on in there is to remove the interior panels.
Do you mean remove the panels in the rear interior of the car, within the cargo area?

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 11:43 AM

Car: '03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yes - that is the only way to get to all of the seams. Same for the doors and rear hatch. There are also some holes to look into the rocker panels that are under the door sill plates.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by saman13 View Post
They are starting to get buzzy, especially on the passenger side. The tweeters also have a decent amount of noise in them right now. No matter what, I'll be leaving the McIntosh headunit in because anything else will look out of place in this car.

And, like I said, it looks like rust is starting to form on the undercarriage. I'm not sure if it has been there or if that happened after moving to Florida last year, but I definitely want to get that taken care of.

I'll probably get a set of jack stands and a hydraulic lift because those are things that will be very useful down the line as well for things like oil changes and other repairs.
with this remember that the head unit and the amp under the front passenger seat go together.

I wonder if your wires are the problem. and should be traced from each speaker to the amp before buying anything.

____

rust underneath,... no pics yet.

but: using a copper wire brush on a power drill is pretty good:
it removes the rust and any black rubbery undercoating but leaves the good grey primer on the good body were there is good body. and then you repaint and reseal what you got. (I did some of this in the past few months)

based on the pics you have posted so far, I would think what you are calling rust, people north of the mason dixon line would consider NOTHING. important to get after, but

when you got fist sized holes in the quarter panels over the rear wheels,...and in the rear door frame. = that is RUST.

where was the car from originally? how long was it there before it got to sunny florida.?

____

other things to add to the maint. list if not changed recently:

a OEM rad cap, a OEM thermostat, and NGK double platinum spark plugs.

___

plenty of good EZ30D, McIntosh, and gen2 rust discussion here though.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

I'll post some pictures of the rust under the car when I get home. I work nights so sorry for the delayed response - I usually post while everyone else is asleep. Like I said, it really doesn't look like much yet, but I'd rather convert it and seal the undercarriage before it gets bad. It doesn't look anything like some pictures I've seen of rusty undercarriages. I just don't want it to be allowed to get close to there.

The car spent its first 13 years of life in Columbia, MO so it saw plenty of snow and salt. It then spent 2 years in North Carolina when I was in school there (saw salt maybe 3 times while there), and finally now Florida. I don't go to the beach much so not really any direct sea spray.

I also must have just gotten used to the sound, but after this discussion and reading up on the sound systems in these cars, when I went back out to my car the audio quality was almost unbearable. The four door speakers are all buzzing/rattling and the tweeters have a lot of static. The rear 6x9 still sounds fine. It's pretty strange to me that these might be blown because I really never turn my music up and I know for a fact that my grandpa wouldn't either. Really any set of aftermarket speakers would be a huge improvement over the sound quality right now. I replaced the speakers on my previous car and it wasn't too bad a job. Crutchfield makes things very easy. I've read through a few threads on the McIntosh sound system and I see that replacement speakers need to be pretty thin. Any speaker that Crutchfield says fits should fit without modification, correct? Anything else to be aware of before attempting a speaker swap? I know @eagleeye you mentioned checking the wires going to the amp first. What should I be looking for with those?

I did notice a sound this morning when starting the car that may have been there for a while and I just hadn't noticed. When first starting the engine, there is a high pitched squealing/whirring sound, but it goes away once I'm driving. Is this something to be concerned about? If so, any threads on addressing it? I'll look through some youtube videos to see if I can find the same sound I'm hearing.

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Ok, pretty easy to find a video showing that the squeak is probably a drive belt or pulley issue. Tomorrow I'll try to ID which one it is. I really don't know the last time the drive belt was replaced so I might just replace the best with a "quiet" belt anyways.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Slow night in the ER so I had plenty of time to do some research, but still have a few questions regarding the sound system.

I will definitely be keeping the McIntosh HU and amp. Both of my front and at least one of my backseat speakers are blown, so I want to do something about that. I read a thread where someone mentioned refoaming the factory speakers so I thought I might do that. Well, then someone said that these McIntosh speakers are actually a real bear to refoam because of the way the tweeters are set up in them so I went back to just wanting to replace the speakers. Then, I read that yet another person had the experience that sometimes it isn't that the foam is shot, just that it has become disconnected from the frame (not sure about nomenclature here) and this can be solved by sticking them back in place.

So, if that is the problem with my speakers, I will try that because that is a free fix. If this can't solve it, then I will probably just order some plug and play coaxial speakers from Crutchfield and that will be that.

I'm not sure how to approach the tweeters though. I'm not sure if they're blown, but I'm definitely not getting high quality sound from them. I get a hissing at all volumes and even when the volume is turned up the sound from them is very low. Maybe a wire issue rather than blown speaker? I'm not sure. I also can't find many threads about people easily replacing these tweeters with aftermarket ones. Crutchfield lists exactly 0 that will fit my car. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I know this is just supposed to be an intro thread, so I might end up posting my questions in the audio section.

Keep those suggestions on how to keep my car in top shape coming! I have a Continental Elite drive belt on its way as well as some rust removal supplies so I will tackle those jobs once I get back from vacation next week. I'm excited to see how this Outback rides on the new set of Pirellis I ordered. I'm having them installed while I'm in Missouri. Thanks everyone for all the help.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
got to ask @botenredwolf about how to source speaker noise in a 2001-2004 VDC McIntosh system.

I would start to look for corrosion on the wire ends and clean them up. (maybe fragile).

and moved thread from new member section to 2000-04.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 11:24 AM

Car: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited || "1SlickVDC" 2001 Outback H6 VDC
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to botenredwolf Send a message via Skype™ to botenredwolf
McIntosh speaker-related issues are almost always because the thin foam rotted out. Paper and foam make a good sounding combination, but it's not so good for long life in a car. Can re-foam them if you're feeling adventurous, otherwise that amplifier is more than capable of driving 4-ohm mains, it'll just get a little warmer if you turn it up. If you replace, be mindful of depth so you can still roll your window down.

cardoc likes this.

Kenwood DMX7704S + iDataLink Maestro, Stock H/K speakers and amplifier, JL 12W6v3 HO Wedge, JL XD1000/5v2 adding some kick. (Not hooked up yet: Hertz Energy component speakers)

botenredwolf lives in the Audio section of this forum and is a MECP Installer

Like my advice? Buy me a drink:
13nPyPmaUQK4Lp6wz6ikGSH7jBSMB2KKdv (BTC)
0x15dc8d61f72b66fd6df726f678706642d9c70bfc (ETH)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: