Engine Stalls, Won't Start, After Fuel-Up - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited || "1SlickVDC" 2001 Outback H6 VDC
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to botenredwolf Send a message via Skype™ to botenredwolf
Yeah it's in at the service center right now, but they likely won't get to it for a few days...

*grumble grumble whine*

Tex: I tried flood mode, checked all electrical bits relating to pump. I've also filled up at this station at least a hundred times, it's the one next to my repair shop, so I fill up after closing up some days. What's weird is I didn't hear the whining of the fuel pump, the high pitched noise you hear right at the beginning of this clip and when you turn the key to pos 2:

Coulda been that there was snow and activity/general noise everywhere, too, but still something I thought I noticed.

Kenwood DMX7704S + iDataLink Maestro, Stock H/K speakers and amplifier. (Not hooked up yet: Hertz Energy component speakers, JL 12W6v3 HO Wedge, JL XD1000/5v2)

botenredwolf lives in the Audio section of this forum and is a MECP Installer

Like my advice? Buy me a drink:
13nPyPmaUQK4Lp6wz6ikGSH7jBSMB2KKdv (BTC)
0x15dc8d61f72b66fd6df726f678706642d9c70bfc (ETH)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:17 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by botenredwolf View Post
Being part of the pump assembly, wouldn't it have smelled like gas in the car if a seal popped? I remember seeing a few threads about the gaskets on the pump/assembly, but I swear there was also reference to smell.
Here's the thread on the subject: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...g-problem.html.

No smell, at least, not necessarily. The cap and seal are part of the fuel pump assembly inside the fuel tank (see cardoc's photo above). When the pump runs, as has been mentioned, instead of the pump pushing fuel out into the fuel line to the engine, the fuel just flows out through the seal back into the same tank space.

If there's no sound for about 2 seconds from the pump (in a quiet area) when the ignition is turned to On (but engine not started), then it could be a pump motor failure or an electrical problem and the pump isn't getting power.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to botenredwolf Send a message via Skype™ to botenredwolf
Okay, got a call back finally. Turns out it was contamination. A bunch of "black tar-like" shyte in the sample they pulled.

The **** is it? Where'd it come from? Should I be contacting the fueling stations management?

Kenwood DMX7704S + iDataLink Maestro, Stock H/K speakers and amplifier. (Not hooked up yet: Hertz Energy component speakers, JL 12W6v3 HO Wedge, JL XD1000/5v2)

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:43 PM

Car: '13 2.5 Premium
If the gas is what's contaminated, then the station, its supplier, the wholesaler, ..., all the way to the refiner will want to know about it so they can track down where it came from. They might even want a sample of whatever came from your tank.

About 5-6 years ago, a local station got a fuel delivery - turns out that diesel had been pumped into the tanker truck by mistake. The gas station chain ended up buying a lot of new engines. But since most cars didn't make it out of the parking lot, they were able to shut the pumps down quickly enough to keep damage to a minimum.

Keep track of receipts, you might end up reimbursed if it was contaminated fuel and not something else from the vehicle fuel system that caused it.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:54 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
yeah, keep the old fuel filter if possible. and copies of the repair paperwork.

again, check the local Nextdoor forums for other 'victims' nearby. Call the station, maybe any State weights and measures type agancy that oversees fuel retailers. Even a local TV 'consumer advocate' - they may have received calls from other victims.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:08 PM

I see you are in Madison:

https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/Programs_...aboratory.aspx

>>>
To file a fuel quality complaint please call
(608) 224-4942 or email
[email protected].
<<<

Wouldn't be the first time mistakes were made:

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/g...7c9e8c275.html
botenredwolf likes this.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. I sent them an e-mail, so we'll see. The car won't even be done until late today or sometime tomorrow, but I've no idea how long something like this would take to get looked into/resolved/etc.

Bollocks, my luck with this car some days though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasMatthew View Post
I see you are in Madison:

https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/Programs_...aboratory.aspx

>>>
To file a fuel quality complaint please call
(608) 224-4942 or email
[email protected].
<<<

Wouldn't be the first time mistakes were made:

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/g...7c9e8c275.html

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botenredwolf View Post
Thanks. I sent them an e-mail, so we'll see. The car won't even be done until late today or sometime tomorrow, but I've no idea how long something like this would take to get looked into/resolved/etc.

Bollocks, my luck with this car some days though.
Fortunately, you said it was a BP station. They would have some pretty tight controls on their fuel. They'll have records what which truck refueled which station, and when. Turnover at a gas station is actually pretty fast. It's possible they had a delivery just before you got there, or while you were there, and that stirred up something.

But >> " A bunch of "black tar-like" shyte << ?

Not sure what it is, or where it came from. Some fuels will get various types of winter additives, maybe this stuff got in there when the additives were mixed in? I dunno. But fuel manufacturers really do care about their product.

Of course, it might be something that's been in your fuel system for a long time until it finally worked its way loose.

Starting this in motion is a good step. At least someone at a lab will be looking at whatever it is your shop found.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, time will tell. Hopefully if DATCP needs a sample, They'll have some left over at Subaru to hand off.

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 03:25 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
possible I guess the actual nozzle had something inside it. Someone dropped it on the ground on a piece of chewing gum or something.

long ago, a discount fuel retailer in Fort Worth had to buy some engines, the tanker delivered fuel contaminated with sodium hydroxide!

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: