2002 Subaru outback wagon weird issue - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:49 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetwister007 View Post
First question: YES
Second question: only the interior lights come on with NO clearance lights or tail lights.
Third question:yes all the interior lights light up. But still no tail lights or clearance lights. I only have clearance and taillights with the seperate clearance light switch turned on.

Also,the daytime running lights never seem to turn off.
Day time running lights will only turn off if you pull the parking brake enough for the brake light on the dash to come on.

It seems that the parking light spot on the headlight switch is no good. The lights wouldn't work with the separate switch if fuses were bad. So that tells you the circuit is good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:33 AM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
One - there's a DRL module under the dash. A white box. Unplugging it will kill the DRLs altogether. I had to unplug mine when I went to HID projectors because the DRL module runs the lights at lower voltage, so they are not full on, and the lower voltage output to the lights was screwing with my ballast and igniters.

If you do not have tail lights with the lights switched "on", but have the tail lights with the park switch on, or the headlight switch in the first position for just the ambers on in the front, then you may have a bad switch. Easy to replace and aftermarket works with the Gen 2.

See attached diagrams.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights 1.gif
Views:	18
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	448175   Click image for larger version

Name:	lights 2.gif
Views:	17
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	448177   Click image for larger version

Name:	lights 3.gif
Views:	17
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	448179  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:08 AM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
First question: YES
Second question: only the interior lights come on with NO clearance lights or tail lights.
Third question:yes all the interior lights light up. But still no tail lights or clearance lights. I only have clearance and taillights with the seperate clearance light switch turned on.

Also,the daytime running lights never seem to turn off.
That suggests a bad Parking Light switch on top of the steering column. When it's in the off position, and the headlight switch is used to turn on the parking lights, the power goes from the tail and illumination relay, through the separate parking lights switch to the external bulb wiring. (See the first diagram that @cardoc attached in post #22 above, where the separate Parking Lights switch is shown at the upper left.) There have been cases here of the switch's internal "off" contacts going bad, especially on older cars. There was also a case where the terminal at contact "T" of the switch had overheated and the wire had separated.

Some have found that flipping the Parking Light fuse back and forth repeatedly restores the "off" contacts, at least temporarily. But ultimately, the switch might have to be replaced.

Last edited by plain OM; 03-21-2019 at 05:19 PM. Reason: add
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:10 PM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I think there may be some misunderstanding here.

With the key on, the DRLs come one with the headlight switch in the off position and you will not have clearance lights or tail lights. The DRLs are on all the time the car is on UNLESS you set the park brake.
With the headlight switch in the running light position, the front ambers and the rear tail lights are supposed to come on.
With the headlights on, everything is on.

The DRLs are dimmer than headlights, as I posted prior, because of reduced voltage by the DRL module.

IF the tail lights are not coming on with the light switch in the running light position, then there is an issue with the switch or a relay.

post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Another thing is werid about the the tail lights is when the parking light switch is ON, I noticed the right side tail lights are significantly brighter than the left side. Upon further observation I figured out the cause. The brake light on the right side is ON with the taillight and NOT with the left (meaning both elements of the bulb are in use with the park lights which they shouldn't be). What could cause this?
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Another thing is werid about the the tail lights is when the parking light switch is ON, I noticed the right side tail lights are significantly brighter than the left side. Upon further observation I figured out the cause. The brake light on the right side is ON with the taillight and NOT with the left (meaning both elements of the bulb are in use with the park lights which they shouldn't be). What could cause this?
Take the bulb out and check the contacts on the bottom of the bulb. They like to touch when they get old. If you let it go too long I've had a car come in that all the bulbs were like that and it blew the fuse and the brake switch.

Because of this problem I switched all my rear lights to led

post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprosco91 View Post
Take the bulb out and check the contacts on the bottom of the bulb. They like to touch when they get old. If you let it go too long I've had a car come in that all the bulbs were like that and it blew the fuse and the brake switch.

Because of this problem I switched all my rear lights to led

This is what it looks like.
UPDATE: Still does this with a brand new bulb.
Left side is working properly (tail light element only but it's barely making contact because one of the pigtail contacts is pushed under the center plastic. Is it possible to push the contact back over to its orginal position and make it stay?
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Also getting these error codes.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:41 PM

You may need a new socket since it's doing it with a new bulb.

And I've never seen the 703 code. The evap code could be many things.

post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:43 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
There's four of those bulbs across the back. Check all of them, and the sockets. If the one in the photo is that bad, the others might be getting to that point.

mprosco91 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: