'03 VDC 1/3/5 misfire - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:06 PM

Car: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to botenredwolf Send a message via Skype™ to botenredwolf
What about the cat on that bank?

Kenwood DMX7704S + iDataLink Maestro, Stock H/K speakers and amplifier, JL 12W6v3 HO Wedge, JL XD1000/5v2 adding some kick. (Not hooked up yet: Hertz Energy component speakers)

botenredwolf lives in the Audio section of this forum and is a MECP Installer

Like my advice? Buy me a drink:
13nPyPmaUQK4Lp6wz6ikGSH7jBSMB2KKdv (BTC)
0x15dc8d61f72b66fd6df726f678706642d9c70bfc (ETH)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:28 AM

Car: 2001 outback H6 3.0 VDC
am I correct in thinking all the badly firing cilinders are on one side of the engine? maybe the cables to the coils are bad, plugs are in oil or your cams skipped a link?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by guntherrex View Post
am I correct in thinking all the badly firing cilinders are on one side of the engine? maybe the cables to the coils are bad, plugs are in oil or your cams skipped a link?
here is the firing order. looking back at older threads shows the myriad of problems associated with misfires along one side of EZ30 engines. (fuel, spark,...head gaskets )

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by idosubaru View Post
Given it's all 3 cylinders I'd be looking into timing and carbon build up.

Carbon build up - how much carbon did you see inside the valve covers? I'm not sure how to further test this.

Timing - again I'm not sure how to diagnose the chain/tensioner but maybe your scanner can read the cam sensor or other appropriate signals to tell chain operation.

Make sure all your grounds are good although in my experience they run perfectly fine with multiple disconnected grounds dangling/rusted/severed.
No carbon at all. Cleanest i have ever seen.

Grounds are good. All were cleaned and tested while it was apart.

It may end up being timing. Trying to get the oxygen sensors out to pressure test the cats, someone torqued them down pretty good.

2003 Outback H6 LLBean
1999 Legacy Outback SUS
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:27 AM

Car: 2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean
My exhaust cam jumped a tooth and caused a 1,3,5 misfire (bank 1, passenger side, if I recall correctly). I was able to accurately diagnose it using a leakdown test. The compression test was a slight indicator, bank 1 had 140 psi avg and bank 2 had 155 psi avg (stone cold). During leakdown, I had 80% leakage out the exhaust at TDC, but only 3% about 15* past TDC (exhaust valves closing late). Luckily one tooth off on timing doesn't seem to cause a piston/valve collision event as these are interference engines. I find that it's much easier to get to the coil packs and spark plugs from underneath the car. Good luck!
1 Lucky Texan likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:45 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
vacuum or intake manifold leak when warm????

does it stumble or miss when idling? if so, maybe selectively feeding in some propane from a handheld unlit torch around the intake mani and vacuum lines would help ?

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: