Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I also do this and keep the old extra one in the car for an emergency spare

OldBay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:39 AM

Car: 2001 outback H6 3.0 VDC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had a similar issue, turned out to be a faulty relay. In case the new bulb won't work

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntherrex View Post
I had a similar issue, turned out to be a faulty relay. In case the new bulb won't work
How did you know your relay was bad?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:48 AM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Not a relay.

The 2002 Outback has two relays associated with the headlights. One relay powers the headlight bulbs (i.e., low and high beam bulbs) on the left side, the other relay powers the two headlight bulbs on the right side. Consequently, if a relay is bad, both bulbs on one side that it powers will not work.

In the current case, both right side bulbs work, and on the left side the low beam works, so both relays are working.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

This is what mine had in it. Now I know why it never worked lol. Cant see a wattage on the label.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Just discovered a werid quirk... I replaced the high beam bulb and now when when I start the car with the headlight switch in the OFF position they actually stay OFF until I turn the on via the turn signal lever. But after doing that and replacing the defective pigtail sockets and bulbs I still have no park lights via the turn signal lever
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetwister007 View Post
Just discovered a werid quirk... I replaced the high beam bulb and now when when I start the car with the headlight switch in the OFF position they actually stay OFF until I turn the on via the turn signal lever.
What am I missing -- is this a problem, or just and introduction to . . .

Quote:
But after doing that and replacing the defective pigtail sockets and bulbs I still have no park lights via the turn signal lever
With the ignition Off, if the separate Parking Lights switch on top of the steering column is flipped to On, do the exterior parking lights come on?

With the Parking Lights switch on top of the steering column is Off, the ignition is On, and the headlight switch is turned to either the first (parking lights) or second (headlights) position, do the interior lights for the dashboard controls (switches etc) come on, while the exterior parking lights still remain off?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain OM View Post
What am I missing -- is this a problem, or just and introduction to . . .

With the ignition Off, if the separate Parking Lights switch on top of the steering column is flipped to On, do the exterior parking lights come on?

With the Parking Lights switch on top of the steering column is Off, the ignition is On, and the headlight switch is turned to either the first (parking lights) or second (headlights) position, do the interior lights for the dashboard controls (switches etc) come on, while the exterior parking lights still remain off?
Yes to both of those questions. I thought replacing those things might of fixed the problem. That is what I meant by both statements.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Yes to both of those questions. I thought replacing those things might of fixed the problem. That is what I meant by both statements.
DRL = low beam lights on low power.

high beams need to be turned on by twisting the stalk, and shoving it forward.

_______

parking lights, = the switch on top of the steering column, the only ones that work without the key (very hard to drain a battery on such a old subaru, as everything but these goes off with the key,... people hit this switch with sleaves, watches, etc. and then post here about why these lights don't go out, = "virgin switch threads" )

___

marker lights, = twisting the stalk one notch, these go off when you turn the key to off.

_____

most of the above is in the owners manual,

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
So, do I have this right? The exterior parking lights work when the separate Parking Lights switch is flipped to on, but when that switch is Off, the parking lights do not work when the headlight switch is turned to either the first or second "on" position, and in the latter case, even though the interior dashboard control lighting does work.

In that case, the most likely problem is the Parking Lights switch on top of the steering column. When it's Off, and the headlight switch is turned on, the power for the interior dashboard controls and the exterior parking lights comes from the tail & illumination relay. The power for the dashboard controls goes more or less directly to the control wiring, and because the controls light up, we know the relay works. But the power for the parking lights in this scenario goes through the "Parking Lights" switch on the steering column, even when it's Off!

The switch has two sets of contacts. On set is for when the ignition is off, and the Parking Lights switch is flipped to On to turn on the external parking lights. This we know works. The other set is closed when the switch is Off, and connects the power from the relay to the parking lights wiring harness. Because the parking lights wiring is good (because it's the same in all cases), and the relay works, about the only thing left is those "off" contacts in the Parking Lights switch. This has been seen before. Sometimes flipping the switch on and off repeatedly might restore the contact connections, but it's equally if not more likely the switch will have to be removed, and if the contacts cannot be exposed and refurbished, the switch will have to be replaced.

There's a small chance that the wire coming from the relay to the switch is bad. In one case the wire's connection to the switch had overheated, and the wire had separated from the switch, but that's an unusual situation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: