abs code 56-G NO abs warning light - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
abs code 56-G NO abs warning light

Hi,
I am having a problem with my 2001 subaru outback wagon. After driving for about 15 minutes, brakes are holding and getting hot, the steering wheel vibrates and is stopping on it's own when in neutral going down hill. Not only is it killing my gas but the brakes smell and the wheels get hot. The brake pedal is all the way up and hard to press. During driving like this for a little while all of a sudden the brakes free up and it's fine, brake pedal goes down, and everything is freed up and smooth. While still driving the brakes will start to grab again, problem resumes etc. I went to mavis to have it looked at for something else and asked them to look at the problem. After changing all brakes, rotars, calipers, hoses, master cylinder, pcv brake switch, brake system flush, and some kind of brake junction that has 4 brake lines going to it, and brake flush, I still have this problem. I brought the car back and they can't figure it out. They put it on a reader and found a code "56-G sensor open or short to ground" but there is no warning light for abs. When I start the car the usual lights in dash come on and go away like they should, but I never see the ABS light come on with the others, is that normal? If anyone knows what I should do next please tell me. I have seen other similar problems on forums, but not quite like mine. Will subaru charge me for putting their code reader on the car? Also I can't seem to find dashlights to replace burned out ones, and help there? Thanks everyone, I know this was a long post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
when you turn the key to on without a start you should see "ABS" on the left side of the cluster in amber,
and it should just go off after like 2 seconds.

(I just cranked my 4 cylinder car to see the function)

do you have a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder.?

VDC 6 cylinders maybe slightly different.

the factory service manuals archive on SLI maybe helpful:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.ph...-Model-USDM-EU

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply, really I appreciate it..I have a 4 cylinder.. very common white wagon I seem to see a lot..I went outside and turned the car on and you were correct to ABS light does come on and go off right away.. I guess I wasn't looking at that area.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:52 PM

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean
Can you clear the code and see if it comes back?

The diagnosis for this code suggests it could be the cause of your braking issue. I will try to post it here later. If I'm reading it correctly though I think you will need to replace the hydraulic unit.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, I googled the hydraulic unit... I can't post a link to it but the one I see has a wire harness and 4 metal brake lines to it and looks a lot like the last part mavis replaced but they showed it to me taken out of the vehicle and I don't remember if there was a wire harness connection on it...my code reader didn't even show a code but I will check again..so I don't know if I can clear it. I hope that makes sense thanks again for helping everyone.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

just bumping.

but I think you should be out looking for threads about grounding a pin on the white connector under the steering wheel and counting the flashes.

(yes like a neanderthal,...vs. the 2005-2009 people that can just make the cluster give the codes with a few secret steps)

I wonder if you have a baked sensor that is shorting and working on its own. (like from a red hot wheel bearing or a brake being seized)

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply again.. If you have a link to the thread I would like to look at it. I don't know what connector you are talking about, or what is supposed to flash or even what the flashes would mean..my wife and I bought this car cheap because our other car died and we needed another asap. We have had the car since february and we noticed today while vacuuming there was rodent poop under the seat. I pulled out the dirty center console and there was a butt load of tabs from soda cans and more rodent poop. I pulled out the change drawer and the shifter guess what? More rodent poop. I have to pull out the radio and all that area to see if there was any chewed wires but so far I have seen nothing like that. I do see that G sensor, the black round plastic part with a couple of wires going to it, if that went bad, could that have anything to do with it? I also looked under the hood for broken or chewed wires and found none..the last bit of info is that I did notice the shields on the front tires that are rotted off could that be an issue? Bleh so frustrating.. thanks again for all the help.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plagued View Post
Thanks for the reply again.. If you have a link to the thread I would like to look at it. I don't know what connector you are talking about, or what is supposed to flash or even what the flashes would mean..my wife and I bought this car cheap because our other car died and we needed another asap. We have had the car since february and we noticed today while vacuuming there was rodent poop under the seat. I pulled out the dirty center console and there was a butt load of tabs from soda cans and more rodent poop. I pulled out the change drawer and the shifter guess what? More rodent poop. I have to pull out the radio and all that area to see if there was any chewed wires but so far I have seen nothing like that. I do see that G sensor, the black round plastic part with a couple of wires going to it, if that went bad, could that have anything to do with it? I also looked under the hood for broken or chewed wires and found none..the last bit of info is that I did notice the shields on the front tires that are rotted off could that be an issue? Bleh so frustrating.. thanks again for all the help.
might also be on the tone ring. (too much rust/ brake dust / slime)

or in the electrical system too.

my search of looking for a good old description of how to ground and use the white connector under the steering column failed. ( found one for a 1999 though....similar but may not be correct for a 2000 -04)

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I wil look into this a bit more, but everything I have read so far indicates the ABS light will come on if the tone ring is bad.. my ABS light never comes on.. does the light always come on for a bad tone ring? If so then I would assume my tone rings are OK. If the ABS light does not always come on for a bad tone ring, then maybe that is my problem. I am pretty sure the 99 is not the same as 2000 and up as my haynes repair manual shows 2000-2009. If you have any other ideas as well I will consider all. Thank you.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plagued View Post
Thank you, I wil look into this a bit more, but everything I have read so far indicates the ABS light will come on if the tone ring is bad.. my ABS light never comes on.. does the light always come on for a bad tone ring? If so then I would assume my tone rings are OK. If the ABS light does not always come on for a bad tone ring, then maybe that is my problem. I am pretty sure the 99 is not the same as 2000 and up as my haynes repair manual shows 2000-2009. If you have any other ideas as well I will consider all. Thank you.
on a gm truck I had it coming on from too much rusty slime/ brake dust on the tone ring.
dry pavement, summer day, typical slowing down,

no lights on the dash just a activating like it was on slippery pavement. I did not buy any parts just had someone do a typical clean up job while it was on a lift for some other work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: