transmission mount - H6 2003 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Car: Audi A8, 2002 Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
transmission mount - H6 2003

So I've installed a new tranny mount - the old one was indeed broken. While banging various hardware with a rubber mallet under the car the other day I notice how much play there was in the new mount.

I am wondering if I did not tighten the center bolt enough, I have posted photos of a screen grab of Mr Subaru via youtube and a photo my mount. Looks like the rubber washer on my mount is not flush with the surface of the mount.

I think I tightened it as much as I could ???? Could this be the source of my idle vibration - Did I get the wrong mount - it was OEM from subie and correct for year and model.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mr s 1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	450039   Click image for larger version

Name:	mr s 3.jpg
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	450041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190416_133721.JPG
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	450043  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Ok just looked at https://www.oempartsinc.com/oem-part...g2LWdhcw%3D%3D

WTH is Trans Cross-Member Stopper - Subaru (41022AE19A)!!!

Looks like I have it but why the big gap!! One would think it should be flush with the cross member ?

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:32 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA8 View Post
Ok just looked at https://www.oempartsinc.com/oem-part...g2LWdhcw%3D%3D

WTH is Trans Cross-Member Stopper - Subaru (41022AE19A)!!!

Looks like I have it but why the big gap!! One would think it should be flush with the cross member ?
Looks similar to mine. I had the same question some time ago: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...2007-4eat.html
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Yes I just realized that it seemed to be normal. I still have quite a bit of movement if I put a pry bar on cross member so perhaps I have worn engine mounts too. Just that dam vibration at idle - some guy sells an insert where this bolt goes to supposedly reduce the vibration but its hard to believe that Subaru would design the engine to vibrate like this.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA8 View Post
hard to believe that Subaru would design the engine to vibrate like this.
your hunch is correct, they don't do that off the showroom floor.

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:15 PM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Did you install a good trans mount? The center bushing should bottom out on the transmission cradle. If not, then the bolt is too long or the mount is too narrow when compared with a correct sized mount.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:56 PM

Do you mean that castle-nut looking washer should be up against the crossmember?

I thought there should be a gap. That's the way it is on mine, and I thought it was confirmed in this post. Did I misunderstand, or perhaps the 2003 H6 is different.

(Of course, the gap in the OP's case, might be too large . . .)
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:45 PM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Subaru used the same transmission mount for the 4EAT and 5EAT transmissions. Every one I've put in, that rubber/metal bushing rest against the cradle when the center nut is tightened. When there's a gap, that's when you know the mount is weak because the compressed rubber allows for the center bolt to drop further through the cradle.

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
Subaru used the same transmission mount for the 4EAT and 5EAT transmissions. Every one I've put in, that rubber/metal bushing rest against the cradle when the center nut is tightened. When there's a gap, that's when you know the mount is weak because the compressed rubber allows for the center bolt to drop further through the cradle.
Do you mean the bushing should be resting up (snug against) the rear crossmember in the attached diagram? Wouldn't that restrict, if not totally prevent, movement of the transmission tail section?

I don't recall seeing any of those bushings up against the crossmember, but I'll have to look more closely now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tranny mount.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	450277  
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:17 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
I have to disagree. Only because I now make transmission inserts for every automatic transmission (and some manuals) for every Subaru produced world wide since 1992. There are 5 differnt void shapes for all ATs (including all CVT) and 1 that is specific to the 6MT diesel.

The design of the mount is the same. The cushions and the size of the void are different. The 4EAT void is wider that the 5EAT.

The center bolt is a safety bolt to limit the movement. It acts as a stop.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: