Trying to save 01 Outback - Engine and Tranny Swap - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeC5

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trying to save 01 Outback - Engine and Tranny Swap

Hello, I'm really jumping in head first here, this is my first post so please bare with me.

I have been researching for about 2 months on this and I have had multiple shops give me conflicting information, I myself have found conflicting information online, so of course, I turn to the forums (and for the record, I have scoured the forums in search of these answers already). All I am hoping for is some sort of a consensus, not looking for perfection. Ideally someone has done this before (fingers crossed).

I have a 2001 Outback that blew a motor and transmission due to a botched head gasket job and botched transmission rebuild. You definitely get what you pay for (I had a private guy do it, friend of a friend kinda deal due to my financial situation at the time). The rest of the car is in fantastic condition and I would love to save it.

I also have a 2008 Forester X that I bought stupid cheap (to drive on an emergency basis after I lost the 01). Basically, that car is a metal deathtrap due to rust, however, the engine and transmission seems to be in perfectly fine condition.

Now that I can afford to properly address them, I want to know if it is possible to swap the 2008 Forester engine and transmission into the 2001 Outback.

The placard inside the engine bay for the Forester is missing, but this is what I know for both cars.

2001 Outback Engine: EJ251AXAWL
2001 Outback Transmission: TZ1A4ZCCBA
2001 Outback VIN# 4S3BH686X17638942

2008 Forester Engine: EJ25
2008 Forester Transmission: M000T20171
2008 Forester VIN# JF1SG63618H732695

Thanks all for the help, I've hit roadblock after roadblock trying to figure this out and this is basically my last move.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:27 AM

Car: 2002 Outback
After a bit of research, it appears the swap you propose is possible although I'm not that familiar with 2008 models. If I were doing it, I would keep the intake manifold, fuel injectors, sensors, etc. from the '01 OB and use on the new long block from the Forester. This should get you past most of the differences in mass air flow, etc. I'm sure the '08 engine has more going on in terms of oxygen sensors and how many/where the cat converters are. But I would expect the '01 exhaust (including Y-pipe) would bolt right up to the '08 block without any issues. I would expect the transmission, as long as it is a 4EAT, will still work but you may want to look close at the electrical connectors and make sure they are the same and can plug into the existing '01 harness. You might also try asking over at NASIOC as they seem to do a lot of engine swapping over there. I found this summary of EJ 2.5 L engines on Wiki that may be useful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ25

BiggFella Tilghman likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:19 AM

Car: 2002 Outback 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC5 View Post
After a bit of research, it appears the swap you propose is possible although I'm not that familiar with 2008 models. If I were doing it, I would keep the intake manifold, fuel injectors, sensors, etc. from the '01 OB and use on the new long block from the Forester. This should get you past most of the differences in mass air flow, etc. I'm sure the '08 engine has more going on in terms of oxygen sensors and how many/where the cat converters are. But I would expect the '01 exhaust (including Y-pipe) would bolt right up to the '08 block without any issues. I would expect the transmission, as long as it is a 4EAT, will still work but you may want to look close at the electrical connectors and make sure they are the same and can plug into the existing '01 harness. You might also try asking over at NASIOC as they seem to do a lot of engine swapping over there. I found this summary of EJ 2.5 L engines on Wiki that may be useful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ25
Appreciate that wiki link

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 11:02 AM

The newer motor will have some variable valve adjustments that the older one in your 01 won't have. It might still work just without the ability to use different cam profiles based on RPM, For transmission you may need to grab the rear diff from the forster as well, the final drive may be different and mixing transes and diffs with different final drives could lead to some issues with the center diff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: