EJ22 swap into EJ25D DOHC vehicle - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 5Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You need an EGR equipped intake manifold if you're worried about emissions. Options:
1. buy an EJ22 intake manifold with EGR
2. Or swap the EJ25 wiring harness onto the EJ22 intake manifold - to convert your intake manifold from non-EGR to EGR.

Then once you do either of those, you still don't have EGR in the engine/head, so you have to reroute some vacuum tubes to "trick it". Like this:
Using a NON-EGR engine in Subaru with EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve) - Engine - Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3. Sometimes you can drill and tap for EGR into a non-EGR engine but drilling through a cylinder head isn't something most people are up for.

4. swap the EJ25 heads onto the EJ22 and swap the entire intake manifold too - that would suck for multiple reasons but would "work".

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
@grossgary

are swaps into a 1999 easy with a 2000-2002 EJ251 without EGR?

(see this thread:
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ml#post3350897

how about EG33?

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
are swaps into a 1999 easy with a 2000-2002 EJ251 without EGR?
It's not an EGR issue - it's Phase I or Phase II differences.

Quoting this as an illustration...not to poke fun or be a smart hole...but following the original write up will answer all questions about fitment and what's easy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
Read and reread the section you have a question about - it's probably answered.
1999 engines are listed in the write up. 1999 Legacy/Outback are Phase I and 99 Forester and Impreza RS are Phase II - that's why 1999 legacy/outback are listed and Forester and Impreza are not for swap compatibility. It's only 1999 where Phase I and Phase II engines are available the same year - so it's only 1999 when the distinction matters. Again - just follow this simple outline for easy swaps compatability:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
1996-1999 Legacy and Outbacks
1998 Impreza RS and Forester
So to answer the question - Look through the write up by model and year - or more specifically which Phase engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
how about EG33?
6 cylinder and 4 cylinder have different cylinder numbers and are quite different electronically, definitely not plug and play.

Although I have run a 6 cylinder off of a 4 cylinder ECU before if we are very liberal in our use of the word "run".

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 11:59 PM

Car: 98 Legacy Outback, EJ25D > 1995 EJ22 Swap
Thank you Gary!

I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback that Gary helped step me through getting a swappable engine and had a mechanic swap it.

1) The swap was successful. No check engine light. Car drove. A loss of power getting onto highways on the on ramps (not problematic or dangerous, just more my mom's style of driving them I'm used to) or if I really wanted to do a very pushing-it pass on the highway, but otherwise not noticeable.

2) It's been two years. (For personal reasons, I'm still driving this car.) It did need the engine dropped the year later because internal parts failed (I have to look up what ones - oil loss was the symptom again.) It wasn't due to the swap. It was due to using a used engine, which is always a risk.

3) During that drop they found an old timing belt. It'd been supposedly replaced the first time. Wishing I'd asked for used parts the first time to verify.

4) It recently developed a mildly screechy start. Turned very loud while on a lift to get new tires (why I don't know??). Turned out to be fly wheel between engine and transmission. Mechanic says bolts wiggled loose. He's also seen missing guides cause this (but wasn't in this case.) So worth asking replacer to bolt it in well with the guides.

Those are my lessons learned so far.

I'm having a host of problems now, that I've posted separately. I don't expect they have anything to do with the swap since it's driven fine since the swap until now. I'll post here if they turn out to be related.

Gary, I'd come back a while ago and thanked everyone. You hadn't spotted my post at the time. So I'm glad I found this, so I can say THANK YOU again!

post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 10:43 AM

Car: 2015 Subaru BRZ turbo 1998 Subaru Legacy GT
Okay so my friend is in the end stages of a swap for me and we have run into some problems that I could really use some help with. I was told this is plug and play etc, but so far the power steering lines did not match up and supposedly the PCM had to be swapped out because it was coding the cam signal for a DOHC and the new heads are sohc. Now we still have a no start condition and my friend says the crank sensor is signaling 200 rpms when the car isn't running. He is replacing the cam and crank sensors and hopes it will start. Unfortunately they were already new, so I am wondering if anyone may have some suggestions?
Engine is a 96 SOHC single port ej22e non EGR from outback new chassis is 98 LGT that had a DOHC ej25d with EGR. I can sort out the EGR problem later with an ej22e EGR intake manifold I have. But this no start is dragging this project out and I am concerned the my friend is going to start asking me for more money to fix this even though I have already paid him extra money twice now.
Please help!
We also swapped the transmission over, which necessitated using the old trans cross member to keep the driveshaft from binding up and swapping the clutch mechanism over to the old style. Both of those issues were found after the fact dragging things out. We are both pretty frustrated, and I am now terrified to take this thing back apart for a hybrid build without a full parts car.(at least I'll have a spare trans this way)

-The Turd Wagon
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
Lightbulb

@TurdWagon

post that up on

Ultimate Subaru Message Board

@grossgary is hanging over there, where he is a moderator.

Make sure to include information about the EJ25D car,

and as much about the EJ22 donor car (year, model, trans, )

maybe this section?
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...wrxwrxsti-svx/
TurdWagon likes this.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 10:57 AM

Car: 2015 Subaru BRZ turbo 1998 Subaru Legacy GT
Thanks I'll do that! I also feel really bad about giving him this job that is turning out to be a pain for him and I kind of need the car back soon!

-The Turd Wagon
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Start another thread rather than reply here so this doens't get side tracked - you have a mechanical problem, not a swap problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdWagon View Post
and supposedly the PCM had to be swapped out because it was coding the cam signal for a DOHC and the new heads are sohc. Now we still have a no start condition and my friend says the crank sensor is signaling 200 rpms when the car isn't running. He is replacing the cam and crank sensors and hopes it will start.
He is wrong - there is no need to swap the PCM (ECU/ECM). DOHC and SOHC doesn't matter here. your friend is wrong on that, either he is misdiagnosing the issue (my guess) or the ECU was failed (unlikely but different than an incorrect ECU - if it failed then maybe the new one failed too because of a short or something?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdWagon View Post
He is replacing the cam and crank sensors and hopes it will start.
that's unlikely the issue - you changed them once already, changing them again is unlikely to solve anything.

I'm not going to further diagnose here in this thread because this is swap thread - you have mechanical issues, not swap issues. please start another thread to keep this one usable and helpful.

post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 08:13 PM

Car: 2016 Toyota Tacoma
Just what I was looking for. Need this info for a outback I'm looking at.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 07:22 PM

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5L H4 FI DOHC 16V AWD
This is great. However I have a slightly different variation I haven't seen answered. I have an 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback AT with a bad 2.5L H4 DOHC. Local JDM importer has a great deal on EJ20 2.0L SOHC's ($795) but I cannot figure out if that will be a easy swap for my 2.5L DOHC? The EJ20 DOHC's are $1,145 and I'd rather save the money if I can make it work.

It seems like it would be similar to the EJ22's that I cannot seem to find anywhere near Seattle.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: