What did you do with your 1st gen OB today? - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 613 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 11:34 AM

Car: 15 2.5i Limited Ice Silver / 06 2.5i 5MT Atlantic Blue-Silver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You have an interesting take on the interpretation of the question "What did you DO to your 1st gen OB today?"

00 Limited 4EAT SOLD
08 2.5i 4EAT SOLD
97 5MT SOLD
06 2.5i 5MT BBS WHITELINE FSB/RSB GROUP N MOUNTS 04 KYB STRUTS
15 2.5i Limited CVT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 613 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 01:01 PM

Car: 1998 Outback lifted Limited on 28s
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsquat View Post
You have an interesting take on the interpretation of the question "What did you DO to your 1st gen OB today?"
Sorry, forgot to finish that I replaced my drivers side steering rack boot and discovered my axle boot is trashed. Also did an undercarriage look over to see what other damages I did.

1998 Legacy Outback Limited 5mt
de-badged & stickered.... tinted windows.... painted woodgrain trim.... hard-wired Alpine 9851 w/ XM.... Cobra cb.... Swaybar DELETE.... KartBoy short shifter.... Group A t.b. spacer + Bypass mod.... GrimmSpeed thermal spacers.... HighGuys 3 inch lift.... KYB Forester struts and springs.... 215/70/16s.... Big Ol' Honkin' Bumper.... 300Ws of pro comp lighting.... + more to come!
post #13 of 613 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 AM

Car: 1995 legacy LS wagon automatic
recommendation for new struts/shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsquat View Post
It came! I installed it in about an hour. The picture shows it mounted in the middle position, but I settled on the softest position (closest to the end) because it didn't overpower the front as much. I can't imagine using the stiffest setting without installing a bigger front sway. Even in the middle position, the front felt too light.

Edit 9/15/11: After getting used to the "soft" setting, I found myself wanting even less roll, so I moved it back to the middle. Now that I think about it, one of the things that surprised me initially with this car was how heavy the front felt in corners. Now I'm embracing the lighter front end feel I was used to in my Accord. I wouldn't be surprised if I go the the stiffest setting on the sway before too long!

Edit to the edit 9/16/11: Yup, it took only one day for me to put it on the 25mm setting. It's amazing how much difference it makes! The whole car feels so much more solid, and it corners likes it's on rails! Best bang-for-your-buck mod for this gen of Outbacks.

I also installed the STi pitch mount, and that makes a nice improvement in acceleration off the line. I'm thinking about installing the matching transmission mount (in an effort to eliminate the lashing in the tranny when letting off the gas), but I think it would add more noise and vibration than I want.
Hi Gotsquat,
Is there a recommendation for a good replacement for the struts/ shocks?

Are there any other suppliers for upgraded rear sway bars?

Do you have a lead for replacement bushing suppllies? ive found some polyurethane ones online- havent ordered yet at: Subaru Legacy (1995 - 1999) Urethane Bushings -- PowerflexUSA Online Store

Thanks for any help,
Scott
P.S.- gotsquat, watch out that you don't use more amps than your alternator can put out, all those lights, wipers, fan, rear defrost etc really add up. Each 50 watt bulb burns off 5 amps more or less.
post #14 of 613 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:15 AM

Car: 1995 legacy LS wagon automatic
Hi, what is "OB" meaning?
scot
post #15 of 613 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
Outback.

Have you considered the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

Ours:
2002 Outback wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean no more: "Mal" 136,000 and counting.
Cloth interior swap. HIR1 high beam upgrade.
2006 Outback 2.5i wagon: "Professor Sprout" 97,000 and counting.
HIR1 high beam upgrade.

Family fleet:
2006 Outback XT Limited. 109,000 and bone stock.

Previous:
1996 Outback wagon "Solstice", totaled at 115,000.
2003 Outback wagon"Kaylee", sold at 167,000.
post #16 of 613 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 AM

Car: 15 2.5i Limited Ice Silver / 06 2.5i 5MT Atlantic Blue-Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott subehuman View Post
Hi Gotsquat,
Is there a recommendation for a good replacement for the struts/ shocks?

Are there any other suppliers for upgraded rear sway bars?

Do you have a lead for replacement bushing suppllies? ive found some polyurethane ones online- havent ordered yet at: Subaru Legacy (1995 - 1999) Urethane Bushings -- PowerflexUSA Online Store

Thanks for any help,
Scott
P.S.- gotsquat, watch out that you don't use more amps than your alternator can put out, all those lights, wipers, fan, rear defrost etc really add up. Each 50 watt bulb burns off 5 amps more or less.
I used KYB GR-2 struts and they work great.

I don't know of any other good sources for RSB, but I didn't look real hard since the Rallitek was such a great deal (comes with new endlinks and bushings).

Haven't tackled any of the other bushings, but it looks like that's a good source.

I only use the driving lights when I really need it and never with the stock fogs at the same time. It just looked cool to take a picture of it!

00 Limited 4EAT SOLD
08 2.5i 4EAT SOLD
97 5MT SOLD
06 2.5i 5MT BBS WHITELINE FSB/RSB GROUP N MOUNTS 04 KYB STRUTS
15 2.5i Limited CVT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 613 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 05:36 PM

Few most recent things i got done..
-lowered on 03 wrx wagon struts/springs in rear and eibach lowering springs w/03 wagon shocks up front.
-Cleared the front sidemarkers, through in v-led 92smt switchbacks(white running and turns orange for blinkers)
-JDM headlights
-JDM grill
-v-led 6k HID high beams(already had 3k hid fogs, 6k lows, 6k reverse hids w/ reverse override switch) -all v-led, 92smt led running/stop bulbs, orange 7W highpower led bulbs in rear turn signals, led liscense plate bulbs
-pioneer 4300 deck, JL audio speakers, amp and sub....it pumps now!
-Compustar 1mile autostart w/ alarm system w/ 2way lcd screen remote
-tinted the rear tails
-higher output alternator(110 or 115amps vs stock 85amps)
-ralliltek 22mm adjustable RSB
-removed roof rails and had my shop paint roof gloss black(will throw rails back on when winter comes so i can put my dual angle inno snowboard rack up top) roof rails were sanded and painted gloss black aswell

thought this was worth mentioning, subaru ftw

post #18 of 613 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 08:32 PM

Work in progress, New light bar, Fog lights PIAA, new crossbars, tinting windows.

To Do:
- Install new wheels
-buy new tires
- maybe throw some hella's driving lights
-change the stock headlights bulbs into HID
post #19 of 613 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 11:23 AM

Car: 1997 OBW w/213,000 miles
Gave the wife's 97 a pair of $ilver$tars over the weekend, will restore the lenses this coming weekend. She already notices the difference at night... But she has the habit of ALWAYS driving with the headlights on...i hope she gets at least a year out of 'em...
post #20 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 PM

Car: '97 Outback Wagon 2.5 5-speed I saved from junkyard!
I had to install a new water temperature sensor for the emission system. The old one threw a code, and it intermittently went into an over-rich condition like the engine was cold, even when it was hot. Of course, it couldn't be a simple fix like most normal cars; this required removal of the intake manifold to get to the sensor. Grrr...
All better now, though.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
............Bob Seger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: