What did you do with your 1st gen OB today? - Page 62 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #611 of 612 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:55 PM

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 4th Subie

I bought a '98 Legacy Outback last week for a winter car. It's uncommonly clean for it's age, I live in Pittsburgh, Pa where cars rust quickly but this OB came from Nebraska, I guess they don't use salt there. It has almost zero body rust (one spot above the windshield), but it is covered in horrible hard water stains. The windshield was cracked so I had that replaced, but for the last week I've been polishing the water stains from all the other windows (you could barely see through them), it's taking over an hour a window and lots of elbow grease. I've been using Meguiar's Glass Polishing Compound and 0000 steel wool. Five windows down, three to go.

I'm getting it inspected this Saturday, I know it needs a center exhaust pipe and fuel filler neck to pass, hopefully nothing else. I have a list of other things I want to do to it this year, I'm going to have some fun with this car!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190108_191315.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	443967   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190108_191304.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	593.3 KB
ID:	443969  
airlia101 likes this.

Scott M

1998 Legacy Outback Limited

In the past:
2000 Legacy Wagon
2004 Impreza Outback
2007 Impreza Wagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #612 of 612 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:20 PM

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Since my last post on the 13th, I've had the OB inspected, had the center exhaust pipe replaced (nice and quiet now and Meineke said the exhaust they removed was original!), I've cleaned one more window of the hard water stains, and last night I replaced the leaking fuel filler neck, wasn't too bad of a job. This weekend it's getting 4 new tires and an alignment.

Next will be spark plugs, plug wires, PCV valve, fuel filter, oil pressure sending unit, and alternator belt.

Scott M

1998 Legacy Outback Limited

In the past:
2000 Legacy Wagon
2004 Impreza Outback
2007 Impreza Wagon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: