FWD/AWD/Cruise Control issues 96 Legacy Outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrew Claus

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FWD/AWD/Cruise Control issues 96 Legacy Outback

Hey Have a pristine condition 96 Legacy Outback 2.5L with 80k on it... The only issues I that seem to come up are electrical.. Looking for any suggestions help

#1 It has (but won't) currently switch back to FWD when I'm putting in the fuse. I put the fuse in and maybe a month later it randomly started working and recently when it snowed heavy I pulled the fuse out to put it in AWD. Now that snow season is pretty much over I want to put it back into FWD for some gas milage but its just not working.... Any suggestions? -- tried different fuse, wasn't blown---

#2 I've read the manual pretty throughly and even had the previous owner fiddle with it but I just can't get the cruise control to work. first step press in the cruise control button next to ignition, then set the speed with the handle on the steering wheel column right???

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:02 PM

Car: '98 Outback
When I got my '98, the cruise didn't work and I found the problem in the contacts in the switch on the steering wheel. A squirt of WD-40 fixed it. I tested it first, it wasn't random.

I was under the impression the fuse trick was for temporary use while towing, etc. I've never done it.

1 Lucky Texan likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 03:45 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
you aren't saving any measurable amount of fuel with FWD mode. All the same parts add weight to the car and are still turning when the car moves. Not saying you don't have some intermittent problem with the Duty C Solenoid but, the fuse is for mixing-in the donut spare or other non-identical tire.

all 4 tires ARE identical right?

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:36 PM

Car: 1996 Legacy Outback 2.2, 5sp
Garage
Mine is a 5speed, and cruise did not work when I bought it. Did some digging and found on the clutch pedal arm a round "landing pad' for a button that tells the system the clutch is NOT pressed, which allows the cruise to be set. The landing pad was missing, so the system never "saw" the clutch pedal arm being fully released.

Replaced it with a gizmo from my bench, works perfectly now.

Stock, original '96 Outback
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:51 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Clean the contacts in the FWD fuse holder and on the fuse itself. have a peak first - do they look dirty or corroded?

Does it have torque bind? when the car is driven in a parking lot with the steering wheel turned to full lock does it feel like it's braking or slowing down?

What he said, typically the FWD fuse doesn't help anything at all because you're still carrying hundreds of pounds of weight and all the drivetrain components are still rotating.

If you see mpg increases it's probably incidental and not related to FWD - this is a rather common and incorrect correlation...

1. you can get better gas mileage with summer blend gas.

2. winter has a zillion inefficiencies for driving - driving in snow itself isn't helpful, studded tires, snow tires, chains, slower/more cautious driving on grades or over all, less coasting at higher speeds on snowy roads, slow winter/snow traffic, worse traffic due to schools being in sessions, increased electrical loads due to HVAC, defrost, heated seats, heated steering wheels, windshield wipers, and increased idling - even people who don't "warm up their car before they drive" often do a little scraping while the car is idling.

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:52 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
when you press the cruise control button do any lights come on or nothing? if nothing happens i'd wonder if it's the switch. if the light comes on and nothing happens i'd check the vacuum lines in the engine bay for the cruise control. make sure they're connected and not leaking.

has this vehicle ever had the engine or transmission removed for work or replacement?

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: