Interior dash lighting - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Interior dash lighting

Simple one, can someone take a pic of their dash cluster and hvac controls at night with the back lighting on? I'm thinking some bulbs are out because all I've got is the gauge cluster, the red or green light for the vent selector button, the blue AC button (if it's on), and the stereo display. Thinking there's got to be a few more, like the fan speed, etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:18 AM

Car: '98 Outback
I can tell you without the photo that the fan speed has its own bulb. I had to replace mine. It's accessible with a bit of disassembly, pretty straightforward.

It's likely some gauge cluster lamps are out too. And the backlights for the pushbutton functions under that (fog lamps, rear def, cruise).

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:01 PM

Car: 2006 WRX Wagon
I can tell you that the gauge cluster (speedo, tach, etc) bulbs are very dim, even when the adjuster is at full brightness. I opted to replace them (not all - will detail later) with LEDs - did not regret it at all!

The fuel light and Airbag light stay 'constant on (illuminated)' if you put LEDs in them - no idea why - just leave the factory bulbs in those.

The rest, that I can recall, have no issues with LEDs. The visibility difference is incredible and I wish I had done this sooner.

These are the bulbs for the main portions of the gauge cluster.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186P1MUW/

These are the bulbs for the smaller/individual items (parking brake, CEL, Oil, etc).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018LUL2WK/

Here is the overhead cabin light.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076Q63T9C/

1 order of each and you'll be set. Of note, removing the original small bulbs was annoying - you have to pry/wedge them out (I used the point of a knife).
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Gauge cluster lights are working, more wondering what in the center stack should maybe have a bulb/light and doesn't. Thanks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:12 PM

Car: 2006 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Gauge cluster lights are working, more wondering what in the center stack should maybe have a bulb/light and doesn't. Thanks.
I've not tackled that, so I can't help there.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:06 PM

If you're still looking for it, here's my center stack.I replaced some bulbs a few years ago and I think the hardest part is making sure you don't break any plastic clips or brackets related to the hot/cold slider cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	449649  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! Yeah, got a few bulbs out . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: