Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums - View Single Post - Clutch slipping, need upgrade advice
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
aerosaaber

Car: 06 wrx wagon
Clutch slipping, need upgrade advice

2001 USDM outback wagon 2.5L 115k miles on original clutch (as far as I know)
Recently, I was on an "excursion" into some deep snow, ice, muddy stuff and got the clutch smoking a bit at one point.
Since then I've had a "squeal" type sound occasionally with letting the clutch out, and most recently (wed and friday last week) the clutch pedal stuck to the floor and the clutch seemed to be stuck engaged. Both times I was in the process of shifting "quickly" and the clutch was let out too fast (due to a failing pedal cover that I ripped off completely when I realized why my foot slipped off the pedal).

Once in this state, with the engine still running I couldn't select any gears, when I attempted 2nd or reverse the gears would grind. Working the clutch pedal yielded no change but it also felt as though the pedal wasn't connected to anything at all. After turning the engine off I could select gears and after pumping the clutch pedal a few times it would return to it's normal feel.

I have now noticed the clutch is definitely slipping at higher rpm's (3-4k) but the car seems to be driveable for now.

I'm hoping to upgrade from OEM spec.
Here's the patrs list I've compiled
Exedy stage 1 organic clutch kit are about $350
OEM flywheel I've found for $100
Lightened flywheel $200-400
new slave cylinder
stainless steel braided clutch line

What is everyone's opinion on the "tranquil" thing? http://www.pdmusa.com/Applications/applications.html

I haven't decided if I'm going to tackle this job myself or not. That may depend on when/if the clutch fails completely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome