2. 2 1/4" drop 10" length
3. 3 1/2" drop 10" length
4. 5 3/4" drop 10" length
5. 7 3/4" drop 9" length
and so on

2" Hitch ball
diameter 3/4 or 1 inch
shank length 1 15/16, 2 9/16,

I don't know what all these means. I want a trailer hitch for bike rack mostly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:57 PM

Car: '13 2.5 Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hitch type = 2" receiver. There is a 2" square opening for plugging in a bike rack or other accessory.

Round tube or rectangular describes the look of the hitch itself. Personal preference.

Ball mount = what plugs into the receiver when you want to tow. One end fits into the hitch, the other end has the ball bolted onto it. the draw bars, or ball mounts, have different shapes that accommodate different height cars and trailers so they match up.

Ball = UHaul trailers use 2" balls. These bolt onto the draw bars.

Shank length is the length of the treaded part of the ball. It needs to be long enough to fit through the drawbar.

For a bike rack, all you need is a hitch.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasMatthew View Post
hitch type = 2" receiver. There is a 2" square opening for plugging in a bike rack or other accessory.

Round tube or rectangular describes the look of the hitch itself. Personal preference.

Ball mount = what plugs into the receiver when you want to tow. One end fits into the hitch, the other end has the ball bolted onto it. the draw bars, or ball mounts, have different shapes that accommodate different height cars and trailers so they match up.

Ball = UHaul trailers use 2" balls. These bolt onto the draw bars.

Shank length is the length of the treaded part of the ball. It needs to be long enough to fit through the drawbar.

For a bike rack, all you need is a hitch.
I see. I just need hitch and can buy the rest if I plan to tow something later.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:48 AM

Car: '13 2.5 Premium
yes. the ball and drawbar are what you need to physically connect the trailer to the hitch, you only need that for towing

the wiring adapter is a simple diy if you decide to leave it inside the trunk, like i do.

it can also be added later, but you will need it for towing. might as well add it when you get the hitch though, it's not expensive.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:36 AM

Car: Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi, Tow IV Package
Unless they have been proven to change their ways, stay far far away from U Haul for a wiring harness. They use Scotchlock connectors instead of using a T harness. I wouldn't have them install a receiver either, but I also have not seen one fall off yet. I just don't trust anyone that gives me a vacant stare when I ask what they torqued down the bolts to. For a bike rack it should be more than enough for your needs though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:46 PM

Car: 2019 Outback 2.5 Limited w ES. Tungsten.
U-Haul definitely had good pricing on hitches. But when I went to the store, they knew nothing about them. The people at desk were there to rent out trailers. What type of hitch and who would actually do the install, I do not know. Definitely left with no confidence.

I went to another place that handles sale and install of all sort of truck accessories as well as hitches. They had done many Subarus - In fact dealer salesman suggested I go there! Less than half the price of an OE hitch for a Curt installed. I only use it for bikes so no electrical.

OE is 1.25", so that is what I bought. In retrospect, I wish I had got a 2". Not much difference in price. 2" would likely keep the rack more stable.

One other thing, get a hitch and bike rack that fit together well. I have two racks. One is a bit loose (Reese), so I use the other heavier one (Sportrack) for long trips.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:46 AM

Car: 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited
One way to tighten an attachment (bike rack, ball mount, utility tray, etc.) is to use an anti-rattle stabilizer clip. Or what I have done in the past is to drill and tap a hole in one side of the receiver's tube. That way you can run a bolt through and a lock nut to put sideways pressure on the attachment. The tube wall thickness is usually sufficient for a bike rack. Better yet is to weld a bolt over the hole to increase the amount of metal that the bolt can grab hold of for pulling a trailer or utility tray.

Also be careful of U-Haul's website showing what your Subaru can to. I have 3/4 ton truck with a 12,000 lb. tow rating which means that I could haul anything that U-Haul rents. Surprisingly I ran the same matrix for my Outback - which showed the same trailers!

2017 Outback Limited 2.5i
2011 Forester X Limited
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:26 AM

Car: 2014 Outback 3.6R
Do not, do not allow u haul to wire your hitch. They will remove tail light and snap connectors into existing wires.

You can buy a kit, aprox. $ 30.00 that will plug in to the fitting behind the cargo tie down on the drivers side of your OB.

2014 Outback 3.6R
Primative guards
19 mm Rear Sway Bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: