Official Information on the Outback Stop Sale/ Recall - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Car: 2006 wrx
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Official Information on the Outback Stop Sale/ Recall

Hi Everyone,

I hope this doesn't freak any owners or potential owners out. I am posting this to clear up a lot of the speculation I am starting to see. I feel real information can alleviate frustration, hyperbole and panic.

I thought I would share the official info we received from SOA about the stop sale/ recall on certain 2016/17 (I know, we can even order the 17s yet) Outbacks and Legacys.

The recall is for a steering column that may not have been manufactured to specifications. Subaru found an indication that there may be a potential issue and is taking care of it before it can become a real problem.

The Stop Sale is because it is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle covered by a recall until the recall is repaired/ remedied.

Note that a having a VIN on the list below does not necessarily mean that it has one of the defective steering columns. Only certain cars have it and the lot number on the steering column has to be checked to know for certain.

----Dealership Notice from Subaru of America----

IMMEDIATE STOP SALE ORDER – NEW RECALL CAMPAIGN WTD-65

We regret to inform you that an immediate stop sale order must be placed on
certain 2016 and 2017 model year Legacy and Outback vehicles.

Subaru of America, Inc. has determined that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists on these vehicles. Recall code WTD-65 will be assigned to this recall campaign.
This affects certain vehicles within the VIN ranges listed below. Please note that not all vehicles
within the VIN ranges are affected.

Your Region/Distributor will provide you with a detailed list of affected new unsold inventory units [that is for dealers, for customers that already own their cars, you can log into your My Subaru account. SOA will be notifying owners directly via first class mail. The service department at your local dealer may be overwhelmed with inquiries on this, so please be patience with them.]Until you receive your list, any vehicle in inventory within the VIN ranges below must not be
test-driven or sold.

Models Potentially Affected VIN Range (last 8 digits)

2016 Legacy -- From G3045004 to G3059641

2016 Outback -- From G3307507 to G3346346

2017 Legacy -- From H3002001 to H3002024

2017 Outback -- From H3200001 to H3200048

Description of the Safety Defect and Safety Hazard

The steering column in affected vehicles may not have been manufactured to specification. This
could allow the steering column to disengage. If this were to happen while driving, the driver would lose the ability to steer the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

To remedy this condition, it is necessary to inspect the lot number of the steering column. If the vehicle contains a steering column with one of the affected lot numbers, the steering column must
be replaced.

If you have any of the affected models in inventory, please ensure that your sales and service staff
are immediately notified that the unit(s) are un-saleable until the recall campaign is completed and
the claim is submitted.

Please be advised that it is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor
vehicle covered by a recall under a sale or lease until the defect is remedied. Therefore, any
Authorized Subaru Retailer failing to perform the applicable service procedures to correct
all affected vehicles in their inventory prior to the vehicle being placed in service may be
subject to civil penalties of up to $6,000 per violation (i.e., for each vehicle), as provided in
49 CFR §578.6 and will also be in breach of the Subaru Dealer Agreement.

Repair Parts and Instructions
We are in the process of obtaining repair parts. The WTD-65 repair procedure bulletin will be
posted in the near future.

Owner Notification
Subaru will notify affected vehicle owners by first class mail as soon as possible. Dealers will be
advised in advance of owner notification.

----END Dealership Notice END----

-JMart

1454, noflash and Cedelchef like this.

Last edited by HeubergerMotors; 05-10-2016 at 04:22 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Rub

Car: 2016 3.6 Limited with ES
Thanks for posting that.

So other than the steering column possibly coming off in my hands, I'm good to go? The stop sale didn't say we shouldn't drive until the inspection is performed.

post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 04:37 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Someone from the industry...at least
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 04:55 PM

Car: Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm amused by this wording, "This could allow the steering column to disengage. If this were to happen while driving, the driver would lose the ability to steer the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash." Yeh, I'd say greatly increasing the risk of a crash. Almost guaranteeing it. I never take the ability to steer for granted when trying to avoid a crash or just every day driving.

I bet they'll have it sorted out in no time. Better than GM who waited years before deciding to let us know about the ignition problem that greatly increased the risk of a crash.

Onyx rules supreme now
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the update very helpful. So as a potential owner doens't freak me out, but does seem like my dealer could have looked at the Lot number today to determine if the car is affected. Waiting patiently but if no update tomorrow will move on.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:02 PM
Rub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan99 View Post
Waiting patiently but if no update tomorrow will move on.
You also jump up and down screaming at the microwave, "Hurry, Hurry!"?

Seriously, if a dealer posts here they don't enough info today to perform the inspection you're going to call that a irrevocable reflection on Subaru in general and move on to another car brand tomorrow morning? WTF? Did I read your intentions correctly?
ammcinnis likes this.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:03 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 3.6R
I wonder what the "lot number" is? Tell me where to look and what numbers to be aware of and I'll go out in my garage and check it now. My car is within the affected serial number range and yes, I'm about to head out on a road trip with it tomorrow.
Cedelchef and dugan99 like this.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Rub

My VIN does not fall into that range but instead precedes it. My car has a mid Jan 2016 manufacture date.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
You also jump up and down screaming at the microwave, "Hurry, Hurry!"?

Seriously, if a dealer posts here they don't enough info today to perform the inspection you're going to call that a irrevocable reflection on Subaru in general and move on to another car brand tomorrow morning? WTF? Did I read your intentions correctly?
That is not what was posted. What I read is that in order to see if a particular car is affected someone needs to look at the Lot number on the steering column, I don't think that should take 2 days. I didn't say I would move on from Subaru, I said I would move on. First step will be to determine if my dealer has another option that is not affected, 2nd step will be to contact other dealers in the area. If I can not buy a car withing a couple days from Subaru, yes I will move on to another car. We need car now, not in a few days or weeks.

Yes it is a reflection on Subaru in general, we had other options on Saturday and choose Subaru, but was pretty close tie. So in that case if the difference is the other manufacturer can deliver a car and Subaru can't then yes I will go with the other option.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 06:48 PM

Car: 2016 3.6R Outback; tungsten metallic with E/S and every option. I also have a Samsung Note 8 smartphone for trouble-free Bluetooth functionality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
My VIN does not fall into that range but instead precedes it. My car has a mid Jan 2016 manufacture date.

Yeah, this looks to be very new VINs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: