MSRP/INVOICE/PURCHASE PRICE thread - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 4243Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 3.23 average.
post #21 of 6695 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 09:31 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Could one get the quote from Grand In Chicago and get a local dealer to match? I've seen several dealers claim they will meet or beat any other quote or give you X.

X being cash, promo items, free oil changes after purchase, etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 6695 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Eyesight/Blind Spot Monitoring/Lift Gate
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcavin View Post
You pay taxes in the state the vehicle is registered in, not where it is purchased.
I was not aware of this, but that's good to know. Thank you!

I have contacted Grand to see about a price!

post #23 of 6695 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 AM

Car: 2016 Subaru Outback Limited w/ Eyesight
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahead View Post
Could one get the quote from Grand In Chicago and get a local dealer to match? I've seen several dealers claim they will meet or beat any other quote or give you X.

X being cash, promo items, free oil changes after purchase, etc.
None of the local dealer in my area were able to match Grand Subaru's pricing. The local dealers in my town were not even willing to do VIP pricing.
As far as alternate incentives go, you are unlikely to see any cash incentives being offered on a new model year car. Same with promo items. Free oil changes for life and extended warranty could be offered, but hardly offset the $ 2000 cost savings ( or more) on the purchase price.
Then again, money vs service is a subjective call. I reckoned I'd value the cost savings over the service I could get in my area and will give my business to the dealer in Chicago.
post #24 of 6695 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:57 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Another Reference Point

I purchased a new 2015 Legacy 2.5 Premium this week from a "volume" dealer located about 600 miles from home. The car was already in the Subaru pipeline, with VIN assigned, but it won't be delivered for another month or so. Pricing was as follows (cash sale, no trade-in):

MSRP $25,254
Invoice $23,590
Actual Sale Price $22,650 plus $389 "dealer handling" = $23,039

The bottom-line price is $2215 (9.1%) below MSRP and $551 (2.4%) below Invoice.

The volume dealer's pricing formula was pretty easy to figure out: (Invoice less 4%) plus $389. I didn't haggle over the "dealer handling" fee because the bottom line price is all that really matters, and in this case it was more than $1200 below the "best" price quoted by any of my three local dealers. Due to the vagaries of the tax laws in my resident state, I will also save an additional $250 in sales tax buying from an out-of-state dealer.

I would have preferred to buy from a local dealer, but $1200+ was just too much for me to leave on the table.
post #25 of 6695 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 11:19 AM

Car: 2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
Quote:
Originally Posted by athiker View Post

I believe I have also read some VIP rules verbiage stating to get the 2% you are
not supposed to go in first and negotiate and then pull on the 2% trump card.
I don't know about VIP, but that's very common with
"friends & family" types of discount arrangements.

Why? Because the high discount relies on cutting-out
salespersons' commissions. They do this by crediting
the transaction to the sales manager, fleet sales guy,
or someone else on salary rather than commission.

If the customer first interacts with a "normal" salesdroid
and burns-up his time with test drives, tire kicking, and
negotiations, the dealership can't very well tell him to
"get lost" and give the sale to someone else.

... Ain't it a shame to work for nothin' on Sunday

Looby

All-time favorite boxers (chronological order):
2013 Subaru Legacy ...…... 2.5L H4
2011 Subaru Outback ...…. 2.5L H4
2003 Honda Goldwing ...… 1.8L H6
1960 Porsche 356B S90 …. 1.6L H4
1942 Muhammed Ali ...…... 6'3" H2
post #26 of 6695 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammcinnis View Post
I purchased a new 2015 Legacy 2.5 Premium this week from a "volume" dealer located about 600 miles from home. The car was already in the Subaru pipeline, with VIN assigned, but it won't be delivered for another month or so. Pricing was as follows:

MSRP $25,254
Invoice $23,590
Actual Sale Price $22,650 plus $389 "dealer handling" = $23,039

The bottom-line price is $2215 (8.8%) below MSRP and $551 (2.3%) below Invoice.

The volume dealer's pricing formula was pretty easy to figure out: (Invoice less 4%) plus $389. I didn't haggle over the "dealer handling" fee because the bottom line price is all that really matters, and in this case it was more than $1200 below the "best" price quoted by any of my three local dealers. Due to the vagaries of the tax laws in my resident state, I will also save an additional $250 in sales tax buying from an out-of-state dealer.

I would have preferred to buy from a local dealer, but $1200 was just too much for me to leave on the table.

HOLY s h i t that is an AMAZING DEAL! My God - I plan on putting 3k down so at that price I'd be driving away with a 20k car payment.

What is your location or the location of the "volume" dealer?

I made the mistake of going through the build your own Outback on the Subaru.com page and linked it to Hodges Dealership. Of course they emailed me immediately but I told them my story that I'm a VIP member eligiable in October to use the discount.

All I want is the 2.5i Premium with 5 to 6 added accessories (wheel locks, weather mats, back seat cover, bumper cover, rear cargo and the tray - $350 max). This was the email I got for the quote - which I'll discount for now since it does not even factor in my VIP. He suggested a certain package with the dimming rear view mirror with compass (..zzzzzz not needed by me; which of course jacked the MSRP).

email:
David,

Thank you for submitting an Internet inquiry for the 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium in Carbide Gray Metallic/Slate Black Cloth. We are part of the Costco and Sam's Club auto programs. If you are a member of either, we can offer discounted pricing on the 2015 Outback of $100 over dealer invoice.

We have a car estimated to arrive on 07/07/2014 with all of factory-added accessories you specified plus a couple additional items: Cargo Net behind the rear seat, Cargo Net at the tailgate, Auto-Dimming Mirror with Compass, Rear Bumper Cover, All Weather Floor Mats, Wheel Locks, and Rear Seat Back Protector. The MSRP is $28,946 and a dealer invoice of $26,663. Therefore, the Costco/Sam's Club price will be $26,763 which is a discount of $1,733 from MSRP. This price does not include licensing, fees, and tax.

Let me know if you have any questions about the vehicle. There is significant interest in the 2015 Outback and some customers are already reserving our incoming cars. If you are interested in this car and are ready to purchase it, I highly suggest placing a $250 deposit to hold the car for you for three business days after it arrives. Please note that I am not in the office on Tuesdays.
post #27 of 6695 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:25 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgod View Post

What is your location or the location of the "volume" dealer?
First, I want to be sure you understand that the prices I posted were for a 2015 Legacy, not an Outback. My wife and I had a hard time choosing between Legacy and Outback, but we finally decided that for us the additional utility of the Outback wasn't worth the additional cost and the slight compromises in size, agility, fuel economy, etc. However, I expect that the pricing available from our "volume" dealer on 2015 Outbacks will be similar to our Legacy.

The dealer is located in Colorado. (Check your PMs for more detail.)

This dealer does a lot of Internet sales, and as of today they show 72 2015 Legacies and 25 2015 Outbacks in their uncommitted order pipeline. You can take delivery of the car at their location, or they can ship it direct to your door for $400 to $1000 extra. My experience with them (so far) has been highly professional, with none of the typical car sales BS. Their primary Internet sales contact has been really good about responding promptly and fully to my requests for price quotes on several different configurations. Do your homework first.

This dealer may not be a reasonable match for you geographically, but the good news for buyers is that there are several volume dealers in the country who are already discounting 2015 models well below invoice price.

I hope this helps.
post #28 of 6695 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 01:49 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Eyesight/Blind Spot Monitoring/Lift Gate
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post
I'm about to place an order this weekend.

2.5i Premium with EyeSight + Blind-Spot Detection & Rear Cross-Traffic Alert + Power Rear Gate and a trailer hitch.

Prices (before tax/fees)
Invoice: $28,069.00
MSRP: $29,139
My Negotiated Price (AAA discount): $28,218.00
Got a quote from grand in Chicago that is wayyy less!! $26809.
post #29 of 6695 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Grand quoted me $30,548 for a 2.5 limited with Moonroof, Nav, and Eyesight plus remote start and seatback protector. Dealer fee and temp license of $216 on top of that.

That price includes destination charges. They also offered to reimburse me $200 for airfare.

What an awesome place. A shame is a 33 hour drive.
post #30 of 6695 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 03:47 PM

Car: 2015 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALLMEAMMO View Post
Grand quoted me $30,548 for a 2.5 limited with Moonroof, Nav, and Eyesight plus remote start and seatback protector. Dealer fee and temp license of $216 on top of that.

That price includes destination charges. They also offered to reimburse me $200 for airfare.

What an awesome place. A shame is a 33 hour drive.
This is pretty incredible, especially including the airfare. How are taxes handled for out of state buyers?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: