2015 Outback MPG Thread - Page 163 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 428Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.33 average.
post #1621 of 1751 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 09:49 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1454 View Post
Did you read the articles? It does explain it in there. The last few years cars " stated" numbers have been artificially increasing. Especially in more fuel efficient vehicles. It's creep within the industry as a whole.
I see the opposite..
Quote:
For 2008 models, the EPA updated its testing formula, which brought most vehicles closer in line with our measurements. Now we find that, on average, conventional cars missed their EPA estimates by only about 2 percent in our tests, and hybrids by about 10 percent.
ie. the newer tests reduce the gap.

And my previous 4 cars were turbo.. supposedly even harder to attain EPA.. I never had any trouble.. until I got the OB.

The EPA #'s are supposed to let you cross-shop.. ie. in car X, my driving style gets me 90% of EPA.. so in car Y I should be able to do the same... I've always been ~95% of the highway value as my long-term average.. in the OB I am stuck at 80%... in mpg terms, I would be within 1mpg on previous cars.. in the OB I am 7mpg below.

We also have a 2014 Odyssey.. I can I hit the highway rating at 75-80mph.. no can do in the 2015 OB (2.5i)

All of my statements are w.r.t the 2.5. The 3.6 folks seem to be doing relatively better (vs. their estimates)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1751 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 10:25 AM

Car: 2016 Carbide Gray Limited with Moonroof, Nav, and Eyesight
New 2.5 ltd with 1300 miles. 80 mile trip, 2 lane slow highways,55-60 mph, 33.2 MPG on computer. Return trip at 80 mph on interstate, 27.8 on computer.

Yoda_One and ncJim like this.
post #1623 of 1751 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:58 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium, Eyesight
Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post
The EPA #'s are supposed to let you cross-shop.. ie. in car X, my driving style gets me 90% of EPA.. so in car Y I should be able to do the same...
I'm not sure that is entirely accurate. EPA numbers tell you that the car has verifiable MPG numbers driven per the EPA test parameters which accurately represent real world driving conditions.

Driving style, which is the reason people get different MPG numbers from EPA base and each other in the same car, may affect one car more than another as far as meeting the EPA's tested numbers.

So you can't say that a person's driving style will have the same effect on different cars such as the claim "I got 100% of EPA MPG on my old car but get 80% on the new car". For people not getting the rated MPG on the 2015 Subaru, they may need to adjust their driving style to match those who are meeting or exceeding the MPG numbers in the same car.
Ticmxman likes this.
post #1624 of 1751 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 04:25 PM

Very disappointed

I hear you all about the bad MPG the 2015 2.5i engine is getting. I live in San Diego, mostly 50/50 highway/street driving. San Diego is fairly hilly, I admit, but so far my Outback is averaging ~ 19mpg. I understand that the EPA estimates are taken under some ideal standard conditions, and typically cars don't live up to the advertised value, but 19mpg in combined driving is _way_ below what I would find acceptable based on Subaru's combined estimate of 28 mpg.

Plus: The onboard lifetime mpg calculator is totally wrong. The number it spits out keeps on climbing and climbing every time I check! First it read 25-ish when I got the car off the lot, then steadily rose and now reads 43 point some mpg! *lol* Total software glitch. The tech at the dealer doesn't understand math and I had no luck explaining or asking for a solution to this. Anyone else's onboard computer has the same bug?

M.
post #1625 of 1751 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:17 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH_Outback View Post
I hear you all about the bad MPG the 2015 2.5i engine is getting. I live in San Diego, mostly 50/50 highway/street driving. San Diego is fairly hilly, I admit, but so far my Outback is averaging ~ 19mpg. I understand that the EPA estimates are taken under some ideal standard conditions, and typically cars don't live up to the advertised value, but 19mpg in combined driving is _way_ below what I would find acceptable based on Subaru's combined estimate of 28 mpg.

Plus: The onboard lifetime mpg calculator is totally wrong. The number it spits out keeps on climbing and climbing every time I check! First it read 25-ish when I got the car off the lot, then steadily rose and now reads 43 point some mpg! *lol* Total software glitch. The tech at the dealer doesn't understand math and I had no luck explaining or asking for a solution to this. Anyone else's onboard computer has the same bug?
There is a known bug that the lifetime MPGs appear to start climbing forever once the car reaches 7-9k miles.

Ostensibly the "divisor" reaches a max value.. but total miles does not.. as such the result always increases even if that doesn't reflect reality... exactly what that divisor is, is open to debate (ie. an 8-bit gallon counter would max out in that range)
Yoda_One likes this.
post #1626 of 1751 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:42 PM

Car: 2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH_Outback View Post

M.
OK, so you either have something seriously wrong with yours or you are doing something to cause that. I get 21 average in my 3.6 with 70% city driving. It takes me an hourish each way to go 22 miles. So if you are really getting that poor of mileage you need to take it in for service.
gds, BOXR 6 and MCDawg like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1627 of 1751 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 02:15 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
@1454. If you have over 7000 miles on the Odometer yes there is software problem and the best remedy is to reset the lifetime Eco back to zero. It will work correctly until the next 7500 +/- miles. Also you can have the Dealer adjust the Eco lifetime to be very close to calculated or your make the adjustments yourself but I cannot remember how because it been while since I made the modification.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the soul.
post #1628 of 1751 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 02:35 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlette View Post
Also you can have the Dealer adjust the Eco lifetime to be very close to calculated or your make the adjustments yourself but I cannot remember how because it been while since I made the modification.
Starting with the 2015 Legacy/Outback, adjusting fuel mileage calibration is a dealer-only procedure. The dealer can adjust the fuel mileage calibration for the A/B tripmeters in the instrument cluster, but it appears not to affect the EcoMonitor "lifetime" calculation in the infotainment head unit.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

post #1629 of 1751 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 03:34 AM

Car: Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
Garage
Pretty cool! My latest trip to Paintsville, KY (150 mile round trip) produced 27mpg calculated, and 28.3mpg off the computer! Plenty of twisty roads and hills make it a very fair route to calculate real world millage.

Stultus est sicut stultus facit.

There are Three kinds of people. Those who can count, and those who can't...
post #1630 of 1751 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 08:45 AM

Car: 2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlette View Post
@1454. If you have over 7000 miles on the Odometer yes there is software problem and the best remedy is to reset the lifetime Eco back to zero. It will work correctly until the next 7500 +/- miles. Also you can have the Dealer adjust the Eco lifetime to be very close to calculated or your make the adjustments yourself but I cannot remember how because it been while since I made the modification.
I don't really care too much about the lifetime monitor. I was just saying that mine went wacky at just over 7000. I keep all my numbers on my phone an backed up to Google Drive. Does the dealer adjustment fix the lifetime uptick? Or just make it closer to what I am really seeing? Thanks Rowlette

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: