K&n upgrade - Page 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:27 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
garbage. check out studies and threads on bobtheoilguy.com, they don't filter much and their "flow" isn't much better than a quality paper element. after my last couple vehicles and messing with intake, ive come to the conclusion that the intake system on MOST cars are designed to allow the maximum amount of air into the system that benefits the engines performance.
+1, even though automakers can be suckered into such nonsense. My '89 IROC Camaro came from the factory with K&N air filters installed.

PRGMC likes this.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:40 AM
Rub

Car: 2016 3.6 Limited with ES
I wouldn't say their filters are garbage. Not at all but I would question their HP claims when you're not running wide open throttle.

If you over oil it you will coat the MAF sensor with oil but if you don't it's a fine filter and it filters better the longer left on.

I have one on a 2003 Civic with 160k on it and the UOAs are all stellar, no accelerated wear numbers, silicon is always low and it gets cleaned every 3 years or so.

Just don't rely on the butt dyno but actual data. The filter is good but recognize the parameters.

post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:43 AM

Car: '17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
K&N is junk, go with AFE or AEM.
jogosub likes this.

2017 Outback Limited 3.6R
- XRT custom tuned (Stage II)
- Takeda Stage II cold air intake
- Magnaflow headerback exhaust
- 19mm rear sway bar
- CKE SSP r/f sway bar bushings (85d)
- SSD strut tower brace
- RS-R lowering springs
- Perrin steering dampener (soon)
- Lamin-X yellow fog lights
- Rally Armor mud flaps
- C&C Car Worx window deflectors
- Subaru moonroof deflector
- STI pedal kit
- Motegi MR133s (18x8.5)
- 15% tinted windows
- Tuxmat floor mats
- blue interior LEDs
post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:02 AM

Car: 2017 2.5 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRGMC View Post
The problem with oiled filters like the K&N is that consumers using it are over-oiling it.
I've never seen an over oiled paper filter, whether installed by a pro or an amateur.
rasterman and ammcinnis like this.
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:20 AM

Car: 2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
The entire debate about how "pure" the air is that goes in to the engine needs to be kept in perspective. Maybe you can make the intake air in to this HEPA-grade, pollen-free, pure gas, but.. one foot later we are dumping soot filled, dirty EGR gas and oil saturated PCV vapors right back in to the intake manifold.

All of this stuff gets baked on because the engine ends up being DI or TDI and as soon as this witches brew hits the intake valve stems it forms an ever-increasing layer of carbon, crud and oil.

The only thing that you have kept out is bugs.

If you want to keep the intake air cleaner then we would be talking about EGR particulate filters, PCV oil catcher bottles or even deletes of the EGR or PCV systems.
----------------
Regulators talk about how auto makers need to design more efficient engines. Yet their rulemaking has saddled us with systems that do the exact opposite.

Greetings from the leading factory authorized interocitor service center of the Milky Way galaxy for the last three millennia. If you are in the Orion arm stop by to see the latest models. Now with interdimensional mutate capabilities!

Sol system, third primary planet. (Excuse our mess! Just ignore the bipedal life forms, their extinction is under way).
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:38 AM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishers View Post
If you want to keep the intake air cleaner then we would be talking about EGR particulate filters, PCV oil catcher bottles or even deletes of the EGR or PCV systems.
Which is why Frankie has custom routed dual catch cans. This motor retains all of the factor "emissions" components. It removes oil on either side of PCV operation and ... It has glitter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15281233725240.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	430911  

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:25 PM

Car: 2005 3.0 R n totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelipke View Post
I've never seen an over oiled paper filter, whether installed by a pro or an amateur.
I put an "over-oiled" K&N filter (straight out of the shipping box) in my VW Jetta TDI and I had to have the MAF cleaned after several miles of driving - back in 2006.
I sold that car within one year or less! Traded it for Forester and the Subaru dealer didn't even keep it on their used car lot referencing to numerous malfunction repairs that they would have to do, if they would have kept it and sold it themselves.
They have wholesaled it to local a VW dealer.

Quidquid agis, prudenter agas et respice finem.
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:51 PM

Car: 2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildogck View Post
Which is why Frankie has custom routed dual catch cans. This motor retains all of the factor "emissions" components. It removes oil on either side of PCV operation and ... It has glitter.
I was thinking of throwing a catchcan setup on the WRX soon, even though i already have close to 1/4mil miles.

did you fabricate it or start with a kit?
post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:12 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mallard View Post
I was thinking of throwing a catchcan setup on the WRX soon, even though i already have close to 1/4mil miles.

did you fabricate it or start with a kit?
1st off, AIG, Crawford, KillerB, Radium Engineering ... they all make self draining , dual stage Air Oil Seperators. They are very expensive, over $300

I didn't make mine from scratch, although you could. I bought 2 catch cans. The 1st was a baffled AVO and it was expensive at the time $140. I though one can would catch all the vapor. It was be fore I understood the system. I have since found simple Cusco cans for $35. $35 is pretty cheap for a can with fittings. It would cost maybe $20 to replicate from the home depot plumbing section.

3" PVC tube
(2) end caps
brass fittings

You could do it that way.

Anyway with (2) cans, purchased or made, the real key is the plumbing. Radium Engineering conveniently posts a diagram on their website showing hows their's works. It's dual stage, for both sides of PCV operation. I just spit each operation to a separate can.

Both of mine have drain ports to remove, the "removed oil". The closed throttle (idle) side collect far more oil than throttling.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:55 PM

Car: 2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
so something like this is an okay starting point these days?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076BKV7JF/

traildogck likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: