Headlamp modification (H11 to H9 retrofit) - Page 15 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 1.67 average.
post #141 of 147 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:09 PM

Car: 2018 Outback Premium 2.5L w/ Eyesight & moonroof (Crimson)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OK, here's something I haven't seen addressed in this thread. I have a 2018 2.5 Premium Outback, and several months ago, I read this thread and bought the Phillips H9 bulbs. Today, I finally got around to doing the mods (removing the extra plastic tab and trimming the top metal tab). Then I go to insert the first one, and it won't fit in the bulb opening. I compare the ones in the OB now with the new H9s and they are completely different at the base. The OEM ones are much smaller in diameter and the red rubber seal is further down in the socket. Even the part that attaches to the wiring harness is different. WTH? I thought the OB came with H11s, but these don't look like H11s... What the heck are these, and what higher lumen bulbs can I replace them with?

In the pics the OEM bulbs are on the left, the Phillips H9s on the right.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_155447.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	449707   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_155459.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	449709  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 147 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:24 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieGrl View Post
I thought the OB came with H11s, but these don't look like H11s... What the heck are these ...
The 2019 Owners Manual says H11 is still original equipment (halogen low beams only). Are you sure that's the low-beam lamp you pulled? Per the OM, OE halogen high beams are HB3.

SubieGrl likes this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #143 of 147 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:20 PM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
I'm pretty sure the HB3 is a variant of the venerable 9005 high beam bulb. I believe SubiGrl pulled the wrong lamp.

All bulbs are marked on their bases. Check what you have removed.
SubieGrl likes this.

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
post #144 of 147 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammcinnis View Post
Are you sure that's the low-beam lamp you pulled? Per the OM, OE halogen high beams are HB3.
Ah...that's it. Duh. LOL I was in a bit of a rush and just pulled the first one I saw, not thinking about the fact that there is more than one on each side. I haven't replaced headlight bulbs before, so...rookie mistake! Oh well. I'd rather look stupid than have wasted $40 on the wrong bulbs! (I bought 2 pairs.)

Thank you for the assist!
post #145 of 147 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:18 PM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
The fact that you are even in there giving it a shot speaks volumes! Keep at it.
SubieGrl likes this.

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
post #146 of 147 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:49 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieGrl View Post
I haven't replaced headlight bulbs before, so...rookie mistake!
We all started out knowing nothing, so we've all been there. And after 60+ years of wrenching on cars, motorcycles, and airplanes I'm still learning.
SubieGrl likes this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #147 of 147 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post
The fact that you are even in there giving it a shot speaks volumes! Keep at it.
Thanks, that's nice to hear. A few months ago, I managed to replace all my interior bulbs with LEDS without much trouble (blew one fuse during the process, but otherwise it went smoothly). And I did the mod to have the center console plugs always hot.

This is the first car I've done any mods on... Next, I need to install the JDM wheel arches I bought... Wish me luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: