Headlamp modification (H11 to H9 retrofit) - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 1.67 average.
post #11 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 01:11 AM

Car: Satin White 2015 Outback Limited 2.5i with #23, PP5, Remote start, Body Side Molding, Security Shock Sensor, behind seat cargo net, wheel lock kit.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks! Excellent information and great photos with details. Have been following several discussions about the H11 to H9 as well as the 9005 to 9011 modificaitons since reading the Daniel Stern email in another thread. Now this is definitely one of the first mods I will be doing - once my car finally arrives.......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 08:15 AM

Car: Mommas Car: 17 OB Touring 3.6R
Thanks for taking the time to post the photos. I agree this was an easy 30 minute mod with a low price of entry. I changed the one's on my wife's car the first day it came home.

For those still in the market, I found the H9's to be best priced at Amazon and the 9011's to be best priced from PepBoys on Ebay, both sets were standard phillips bulbs.

post #13 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 12:32 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Limited w/EyeSight
Garage
Did anyone do this mod to the fog lamps? kind of concerned with running a 65-watt bulb in place of a 55 watt, I think i would be ok but i dont want to mess up any wires by pulling too much current.

Im taking about changing H11 fog to H9 H9 bulb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 01:43 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolby View Post
Did anyone do this mod to the fog lamps? kind of concerned with running a 65-watt bulb in place of a 55 watt, I think i would be ok but i dont want to mess up any wires by pulling too much current.

I have. No problems so far. Now I don't normally use my fog lamps, but I wanted the extra light in the event that I needed it.

--
15' Outback 2.5i Limited, Navi & Eyesight
post #15 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Cheesehead

Thanks for this helpful thread.....I plan on trying this
post #16 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 06:52 PM

Car: 2011 outback 2.5i limited cvt
i wonder how much heat buildup the headlight housing is subjected to due to the increased lumens. since its not an hid bulb it will run hotter in the housing. curious of long term affect on plastic if it could melt it.
post #17 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 08:46 PM

Car: Mommas Car: 17 OB Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog81 View Post
i wonder how much heat buildup the headlight housing is subjected to due to the increased lumens. since its not an hid bulb it will run hotter in the housing. curious of long term affect on plastic if it could melt it.
My Opinion: If Daniel Stern approves (which he does), you're golden. He is THE authority on automotive lighting . (period)
KYBubblehead likes this.
post #18 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 01:57 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog81 View Post
i wonder how much heat buildup the headlight housing is subjected to due to the increased lumens.
Lumens are not the issue. It's the total power dissipation. 65 watts (H9) vs. 55 watts (H11) isn't much of an increase ... only about 18%.
post #19 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 01:05 PM

Car: 2016 OB 2.5 Limited Crystal White w/Eyesight; 2016 OB 2.5i Limited Ice Silver w/Eyesight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolby View Post
Apparently Daniel Stearn doesn't think it is safe for fog lamps.
(Posted by Lorenzo)
Quoting the email from Daniel Stearn:
I emailed Daniel Stern from Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply about upgrading the (halogen) lighting for 5th gen Outbacks and here is what he shared with me. This is probably the same info for 4th gen's. Reprinted with his permission:

Your low beams take a 1350-lumen H11 bulb. You can easily, safely, and effectively replace this with a 2100-lumen H9 bulb, which you ought to be able to find locally by seeking the high beam bulb for a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. Use a good brand (GE, Philips, Osram-Sylvania) and stick to colorless clear bulbs, not any kind of "whiter light" bulb such as the Sylvania Silver Star scam. Can also get online, H9 bulb .You may need to shave a small ridge of plastic off the H9 bulb's connector so that the H11 socket will snap on. Other than that, it's a direct swap. The only disadvantage is shorter low beam bulb life — the H11 is optimised for very long life with relatively modest light output, while the H9 is optimised for very high output with relatively short life. Note that the H9 swap is not universal; it works well in projector-type low beams but is not safe in most reflector-type low beams or in fog lamps of any type.

post #20 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 01:22 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoguy View Post
Note that the H9 swap is not universal; it works well in projector-type low beams but is not safe in most reflector-type low beams or in fog lamps of any type.
This is probably because the H11 has an integral shield at the end of the lamp bulb, while the H9 does not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: