Headlamp modification (H11 to H9 retrofit) - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 1.67 average.
post #1 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Subaru Outback premium. 2.5 H4
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headlamp modification (H11 to H9 retrofit)

I have owned my 2015 Outback for a few months now. I honestly dont have many complaints about it. I'm going to HATE hearing how much better the 2016's with direct injection are... the ultra tiny clock under the temp controls is so bizarre, its like they added the feature to spite us....and then there's the low beam headlamp performance on the 2.5s......

Night driving with this car is kind of a pain in the ass. I wish the HID option was available for all trims, but it isnt, in fact, it should be standard across the board.
Instead of attempting to install aftermarket HIDs, I read about taking a hi-beam bulb from other auto applications (the H9) and retrofitting it into our low beams.
I will post my experience from this project in this forum as I get results

wxd4000 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
H11 bulbs

So, the H11 bulb is a garden variety low beam bulb with lots of applications. Notice the large abscess or opening in the middle of the connector...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H11 low beam.jpg
Views:	2092
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	107746   Click image for larger version

Name:	h11 plug.jpg
Views:	2109
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	107754  
post #3 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The H9 bulb

The H9 bulb on the other hand, is not as prevalent in application as the H11. This bulb (I believe) I used for cars as a high beam bulb, where the high beam isn't performing double duty as a DTL.

Pay attention to the female port of the bulb, as this is where the modification is required, should you decide to use this bulb as a low beam replacement.

I have circled where (not a very good picture) there is an additional plastic guide, which is NOT on the H11 connector. You will need to file this "guide" away in order for the H11 male connector to work with the H9 bulb.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	H9 bulb 1.jpg
Views:	1900
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	107762   Click image for larger version

Name:	H9 before mod.jpg
Views:	2234
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	107770  
post #4 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
H9 bulb, after mod

Here, I have filed the extra plastic guide away, so that I can connect the bulb in the low-beam socket on the 2015 Outback. Notice also, this bulb (the H9) does NOT have the painted cap like the H11, and most low beam projector bulbs on the market...

I performed a fitment test after my modifcation, and the bulbs indeed fit in the headlamp housing, and they emit light (PASS fitment and function tests).

Tonight, I will perform an effectiveness test, where I aim the low beams at a target (behind a dark building, at a wall or whatnot) with BOTH the H11 bulbs, and the H9 bulbs for a comparison. Feel free to post, and let me know what you think =)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	H9 after mod.jpg
Views:	1644
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	107778  
post #5 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 PM

Car: 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Thanks for posting. I was thinking about the upgrade after reading another thread about it. I'd love to see the result from your experiment.
post #6 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:30 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk78 View Post
Here, I have filed the extra plastic guide away, so that I can connect the bulb in the low-beam socket on the 2015 Outback. Notice also, this bulb (the H9) does NOT have the painted cap like the H11, and most low beam projector bulbs on the market...

I performed a fitment test after my modifcation, and the bulbs indeed fit in the headlamp housing, and they emit light (PASS fitment and function tests).

Tonight, I will perform an effectiveness test, where I aim the low beams at a target (behind a dark building, at a wall or whatnot) with BOTH the H11 bulbs, and the H9 bulbs for a comparison. Feel free to post, and let me know what you think =)
I can't wait to see the results! I did the same bulb swap, but don't have time to post side by side comparisons. The results based on my eye test is that it is noticeably brighter. Are you planning on doing the high beam swap as well?

--
15' Outback 2.5i Limited, Navi & Eyesight
post #7 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
I can't wait to see the results! I did the same bulb swap, but don't have time to post side by side comparisons. The results based on my eye test is that it is noticeably brighter. Are you planning on doing the high beam swap as well?
I was not planning on doing a high bulb swap.....unless I could find a way to deactivate the half power high-beams as the DTL, and use the LED trim as the DTL instead....

Aesthetically, that would be (in my opinion) much better, but I'm not ready to invest the time into that kind of mod yet. The low-beam mod was for safety reasons XD
post #8 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
on looking 35 ft comparison

so, here is a camera shot looking at the car at 35 ft, first the old bulb, then the new bulbs. Its hard to tell, but the new bulb does look a bit brighter in this shot. Notice on the passenger side, the beam reflection is both longer and wider. I believe this effect is somewhat subdued on the driver's side, due to that light's aiming down and inward....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	old bulb front 35ft.jpg
Views:	2059
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	107818   Click image for larger version

Name:	new bulb front 35ft.jpg
Views:	2083
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	107826  
post #9 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
reflection, at 35 ft

Here are a few photos of the light reflecting /shinning on a wall at 35 ft. its easy to see that the new bulbs are brighter, by measuring the length of the brightest section of the light and comparing....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	old bulb wall 35ft.jpg
Views:	1766
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	107834   Click image for larger version

Name:	new bulb wall 35ft.jpg
Views:	1744
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	107842   Click image for larger version

Name:	old bulb wall 35ft measured.jpg
Views:	1652
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	107866   Click image for larger version

Name:	new bulb wall 35ft measured.jpg
Views:	1641
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	107874  
post #10 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The results

Quantitatively, you can look at the photos and tell there is an improvement. I believe the H11 bulb is 1300 lumens, whereas the H9 bulb is 2100 lumens.

Qualitatively, I can see a definite improvement while driving around twisty mountain roads, at night. Before the mod, I used my high-beams significantly to improve the poor visibility from the stock bulbs. Now, my high beams appear to be a compliment to the low beams (as it should be) as opposed to a requirement.

I want to thank everyone that posted in the forums on this topic, which allowed me to research this further and complete the mod. I highly recommend this mod, as opposed to installing HIDs. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: