Infotainment system software updates and coding - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 1.89 average.
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2009 Outback 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fnlyfnd
Infotainment system software updates and coding

I want to dedicate this thread to the sole purpose of hacking/coding/upgrading/updating the infotainment system from a software standpoint. I want to start a dedicated thread now since the Outback is a couple months into sales. This topic is already starting to be talked about in other threads. We have all experienced a lot of quirky things, and some non-functional elements with the OEM system. Hopefully this thread will become a sticky and we can really get some momentum around this.

The sourcecode is availble here: Licence Information . This website is found under the "info" screen within the infotainment system.

Threads related are here:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...-eq-whack.html

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...s-premium.html

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...tive-apps.html

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ine-proof.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

saved for future awesomeness

post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

saving under very ambitious potential outcomes
post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 09:11 AM

Car: 1987 GL, 1995 Legacy Wagon, 2004 Outback, 2015 Outback
I had started a thread about the differences between the base and the premium infotainment systems here: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...m-limited.html

I haven't downloaded the source code (GPL licensed! who would have thunk it!) but I wonder if that is the code for the base or premium models. Or maybe there are a bunch of <ifdef> tags depending on which system it is compiled for.

But what I would be interested in is whether I could flash my base unit with a hacked version of the software that includes some of the premium features. Although I as I point out in that thread, there really aren't too many features missing in the base unit.

If anything, it would suck if any hacks only load on the premium hardware.
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 10:14 PM

Would love if someone could figure out a parking brake bypass for the infotainment system... Have an amazing wife that would love that to watch movies on during long trips...
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 10:21 PM

I would be thrilled if I could use my USB, without it rereading it every time the car starts. It's fine once it is read, but the starting over at the beginning of the folder order very time is horrible. It just happens that it takes about the length of time to read as it takes me to drive to work. I can deal with every other quirk, but this is maddening!
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 10:41 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayner View Post
I would be thrilled if I could use my USB, without it rereading it every time the car starts. It's fine once it is read, but the starting over at the beginning of the folder order very time is horrible. It just happens that it takes about the length of time to read as it takes me to drive to work. I can deal with every other quirk, but this is maddening!
+1 on that...

I've been trying to see if I couldn't burn audio on to a DVD (to get more files on) vs. USB to see if the delays would be any less, but after trying multiple formats (on a DRD-RW) I was unable to find anything which the drive could read (would have expected it hard for them to get a mechanism which only read CDs.. thought we might get data/mp3 DVDs for free.. but I guess not..)
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 02:15 AM

Car: 2015 outback ordered 8/10, vin 9/22, eta 9/29, ARRIVED
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004 View Post
I haven't downloaded the source code (GPL licensed! who would have thunk it!) but I wonder if that is the code for the base or premium models. Or maybe there are a bunch of <ifdef> tags depending on which system it is compiled for.
Where can we find the source code?
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post
+1 on that...

I've been trying to see if I couldn't burn audio on to a DVD (to get more files on) vs. USB to see if the delays would be any less, but after trying multiple formats (on a DRD-RW) I was unable to find anything which the drive could read (would have expected it hard for them to get a mechanism which only read CDs.. thought we might get data/mp3 DVDs for free.. but I guess not..)
The one-and-only audio CD I've tried to play (commercial, not burned) required several tries before it would read it. I hope this is not a bad sign...
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miahill9 View Post
Where can we find the source code?
Read the very first post...or isn't that it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: