2015 ease of maintenance? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2015 ease of maintenance?

We just ordered our first Subaru - 2015 2.5i premium outback. While it's in transit I have time to consider buying the 3yr maintenance plan. I'm a vehicle DIY'er so I initially turned it down but it does seem to be a good (not great) plan financially speaking.

I was wondering how easy maintenance is on 2015 2.5 outbacks? Are there easily accessible jacking points with a quality floor jack? Do you have to remove plastic shrouding to get to them or any other common service parts? How about points to place jack stands for all 4-up tire rotations? Oil changes seem easy with the filter location. Do you have to remove any plastic shrouding to get to the oil plug? How easy are the diffs to drain and fill? Cabin filter acces? Air filter access?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 05:50 PM

Easy to jack up all 4 sides and place on jack stands.
Subarus are built for DIY!

1. Oil / Filter, 6K mile - Simple access, 5 qt jug synthetic from Walmart and OEM filter - $30
2. Tire Rotation, 6K miles - Place car on 2 jack stands per side, easy enough, adjust tire pressure.
3. Cabin Air Filter, 12K miles - Easy access, OEM $20
4. Engine Air Filter, 30K miles - Easy access, OEM $20
5. Brake Fluid, 30K miles - Easy access, simple with Speed Bleeders, OEM $6 brake fluid.

Diff drain and fill is not necessary at all but is a bit difficult...It might be worth paying someone.

What do they want to rape,,,errr,,,charge you for that, umm, "Plan"?

For the price of their profit,,,errr,,,plan you can buy every tool you could ever want including air tools and a small portable car lift! And you know the maintenance will be done, and done right, DIY. The time consuming part is tire rotation (sans air tools/car lift). Every other line item is under 15 minutes.

AllWhiteOB and OlyWa like this.
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks JoDa. I think it was around $600 for 3yr 45k. Having someone else do it would be a nice break as I already maintain 3 vehicles. And I like the fact that it's documented at the dealer for increased resale value if I have to sell.

Cars101 says gear fluid as needed at 30k, 60k, etc? Not sure what that means? what makes diff change difficult? access? fill point access? I have a pump for filling diffs on my land cruiser.

Last edited by wagic; 10-13-2014 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spell
post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagic View Post
Are there easily accessible jacking points with a quality floor jack?
My 2012 really SUCKS for jacking-points (with a floor-jack). The only place I have found to use a floor-jack in the rear is on suspension-components.

I usually end up pulling out the supplied factory-jack to get it off the ground and even-then struggle to find a solid point for the jack-stands.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 07:37 PM

Car: 2018 White Premium 2.5i
I did my 1st oil change on my '15 Premium @ 1000-ish miles and didn't hafta jack up the front at all.

crawled under the front and loosened the VERY TIGHT plug and let the oil out and

retightened and flowed the new oil in - renewed the oil filter with a new blue Subie one.

Took all of 20 minutes - while I waited for the drain I waxed the 4 doors and the front hood.

hANNAbONE
Sirach 2:18
White 2006 OBXT 5AT - TRADED for
Tungsten 2015 2.5i Premium - TRADED for
White 2018 2.5i Premium
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post
My 2012 really SUCKS for jacking-points (with a floor-jack). The only place I have found to use a floor-jack in the rear is on suspension-components.

I usually end up pulling out the supplied factory-jack to get it off the ground and even-then struggle to find a solid point for the jack-stands.
Good info, brucep. I wonder if the gen 5's have a more accessible single point like a x-member near rear bumper? That would enable single jack and placing stands under the factory jack lifting points. I do plan to put a trailer hitch on it. Anyone use their hitch as a jacking point?
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 08:18 PM

I am just wondering if it is hard to replace spark plugs on Subaru?
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan_zj View Post
I am just wondering if it is hard to replace spark plugs on Subaru?
It depends on which Subaru (year, engine) you are asking about. On my 2006 Baja-turbo... the engine needs to be jacked to move it slightly to gain access to one of the plugs.

I looked carefully at my wife's 2012, and the COP (Coil On Plug) bolts are relatively easy to access. I assume the plugs would not be tough to replace on this one. (I have not actually done it yet at 20K miles)

I believe that the Gen4 and Gen5 have more room under the hood between the engine and wheel-wells which make plug-changing easier on these.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 08:32 PM

I am referring to 2015 OB with 2.5 engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post
It depends on which Subaru (year, engine) you are asking about. On my 2006 Baja-turbo... the engine needs to be jacked to move it slightly to gain access to one of the plugs.

I looked carefully at my wife's 2012, and the COP (Coil On Plug) bolts are relatively easy to access. I assume the plugs would not be tough to replace on this one. (I have not actually done it yet at 20K miles)

I believe that the Gen4 and Gen5 have more room under the hood between the engine and wheel-wheels which make plug-changing easier on these.
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 08:43 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'll offer you the 45k maintenance package for only $500, deal?!

45k is 6 oil changes, one air filter, and brake fluid change.

If air filter and brake fluid are about $100 then you're paying $500 for 6 oil changes. Or $85 per oil change.

If it included more fluids - front diff, power steering, coolant, rear diff....it starts to look appealing. Dealing with fluids is really annoying - containing it, cleaning it, recycling it....etc. To that end - fluid changes can be worth paying for if you want to limit maintenance.

Other items say "Inspect" rather than replace or perform. depends i guess how they interpret that, but nothing will be needed by then, the diff fluids often look fine at 100,000 miles on highway commuters. Maybe you can ask about how often they replace the inspection items - generally speaking that stuff does not ever need replaced that early. So it becomes very subjective...

i've jacked up via the hitch before. don't know if it's a good idea or not, truthfully i doubt it's designed, tested for that and I'd guess that's probably prohibited by the seller of the hitch if asked. i don't make a habit of it, but i've done it.

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: