Mods and DIY Organized List - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 521Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 3.00 average.
post #11 of 547 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 05:09 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 6MT & 1991 240 (original owner). Previous rides: 2005 Impreza, 2010 Forester.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I went with black Home Depot milk crates (no logo). I zip-strapped two together to form a single unit. The holes allowed bungee cords to be passed through and clipped to the interior cargo hooks next to the seat backs.

These hold everything I need (hand tools, air compressor, ww fluid, oil, chocolate/granola bars/candles, and flashlight).

If I need to remove them, they pop-out as a single unit. In a pinch, one could rest the chassis on them (lots of guys did this with their project cars in the 70s -- those crates are incredibly strong).

Price: Ten bucks versus $40 for the Subaru soft-sided start tote (which is very nice, mind you).

Bertrn and phgunr like this.

2015 Outback 6MT
1991 Volvo 240 (original owner)
Past Rides: 2005 Impreza, 2010 Forester
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 547 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 06:01 PM

Car: 2018 OB 2.5i Premium Crystal White
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimsurfer View Post
I went with black Home Depot milk crates (no logo). I zip-strapped two together to form a single unit. The holes allowed bungee cords to be passed through and clipped to the interior cargo hooks next to the seat backs.

These hold everything I need (hand tools, air compressor, ww fluid, oil, chocolate/granola bars/candles, and flashlight).

If I need to remove them, they pop-out as a single unit. In a pinch, one could rest the chassis on them (lots of guys did this with their project cars in the 70s -- those crates are incredibly strong).

Price: Ten bucks versus $40 for the Subaru soft-sided start tote (which is very nice, mind you).

Now that's a good idea, beats the $105 Thule option that Subaru Australia are offering! Thank-you

post #13 of 547 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 06:23 PM

Got any pics of what it looks like?
post #14 of 547 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 08:33 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 6MT & 1991 240 (original owner). Previous rides: 2005 Impreza, 2010 Forester.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishal View Post
Got any pics of what it looks like?
I'll take one tomorrow and post it.

2015 Outback 6MT
post #15 of 547 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 09:50 AM

Here are the pics. The second one shows how bungie cords/occy straps can be used to keep the milk crates in place.

The two crates have the capacity for: FA kit, four litres windshield washer fluid, litre of oil, compressor, light blanket, traffic cones, chocolate & granola bars (in case of breakdown), etc. My tool roll and a heavy wool fire blanket are to the left, held down by the bungee cords.

P.S. The crates hold a 20b propane bottle perfectly, which also makes them handy for runs to the refilling station (the crates and cords prevent the bottles from rolling around).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunkbasket.JPG
Views:	5221
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	129642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunkbasket2.JPG
Views:	4577
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	129650  

2015 Outback 6MT
post #16 of 547 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Great! You didn't happen to measure whether 3 would fit, did you? From the pics, it looks like it might.
post #17 of 547 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 07:10 AM

Three definitely won't fit. The interior dimensions are about 4 inches too short, though 6 inches wider would realistically be needed to get to the hooks that fasten the bungee cords to the tie-downs.

On the plus side, the space that's left with two crates is enough to still have a functional pass-thru for several pairs of skis etc.

2015 Outback 6MT
post #18 of 547 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 02:00 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Quote:
Three definitely won't fit. The interior dimensions are about 4 inches too short, though 6 inches wider would realistically be needed to get to the hooks that fasten the bungee cords to the tie-downs.

On the plus side, the space that's left with two crates is enough to still have a functional pass-thru for several pairs of skis etc.
Maybe you could use skim milk crates instead of whole milk crates?
post #19 of 547 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 02:12 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Nav/Eyesight - CWP w/ Black
Posted this in https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...-today-28.html

Last weekend I installed footwell lighting. Crappy pic, but it really looks cool in person. The blue matches perfectly as it's a kit for the forester/impreza. Gives the dash a cool floating look, and some extra ambient light at night.
Bought the kit off Ebay for $85 shipped. Took about an hour, popped off vent/hazard assembly with a trim pry tool, snaked the wires down each side of the dash, mounted the lights, hooked into hazards wiring, popped the vent assembly back in....and done. comes on when parking/headlights are on, and dims with interior light dimmer.
actually found this mod over on Legacygt.com more/better instructions here:
Footwell lighting - Page 7 - Subaru Legacy Forums

first mod to the car, looking at other ideas, think I'm hooked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FootwellLighting.jpg
Views:	3886
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	130770   Click image for larger version

Name:	kit.JPG
Views:	3277
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	130778  
Lorenzo likes this.
post #20 of 547 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:30 PM

Grimsurfer thanks for the idea of the milk crates. I put some in today. I just got my 15 Outback the Friday before Christmas so I am a newbie. My wife has a 13 CrossTrek, so we are liking Subaru.
I do have question to some other post,what is the plasti-dip? It may be very noticeable to all of you, but hey I am new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: