Mods and DIY Organized List - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 495Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 3.00 average.
post #21 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 03:14 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installed the Autogoody LED set like so many on this forum have done; love the color and intensity difference! Had a REAL difficult time trying to remove the map light covers, as they were extremely tight, a bit deep and held stubbornly fast in position.

It wasn't until I adjusted my pry tool half an inch closer to the middle (as shown in the Youtube link in this thread) that I was finally able to pop them off. I think I roughened up some of the plastic edging on one of my lights but it's barely noticeable.

Also, as others have reported, I had to bend back some of the contacts to get these larger LEDs to fit. And even then, they're not perfectly fitted, and slant a bit. Anyone else a bit concerned that their new LEDs might jump out of position if you hit a bump or jar the vehicle a bit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 06:41 PM

This is probably one of most inexpensive MODs. I bought two packs of mini LED lights ($8.77 x 2) from a local Walmart store. Here is the product (Auto Drive LED Micro Lights - Walmart.com) and the pictures of the front and rear footwells are attached. The pictures somehow show much brighter blue than they actually appeared. Basically no cable seen from the front ones and only a couple of inches seen from the center storage console but blended well with the black console. I also like the built in power switches so they can be powered off when not needed for long distance driving, for example.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1255.JPG
Views:	2637
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	131242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1257.JPG
Views:	2424
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	131250  
post #23 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 08:35 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOB View Post
Basically no cable seen from the front ones and only a couple of inches seen from the center storage console but blended well with the black console. I also like the built in power switches so they can be powered off when not needed for long distance driving, for example.
Looks great! Seems like each 2-LED set is powered by 12v plugs, from the looks of the Walmart product page. And you're not finding those power plugs obtrusive or even unsightly? I like the idea of being able to manually power on/off the lights.
post #24 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Cheesehead

I also went to home depot and bought 2 black crates....perfecto
post #25 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:13 PM

The plugs are not oversized with one hidden in the front storage bin under climate display and the other in the center console. Now both of the front 12v power sockets are occupied and will be constantly utilized.
post #26 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 11:53 AM

Two whole milk and one non-fat?
post #27 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:59 PM

Car: OB '15 - 2.5 Limited with EyeSight
Nice ! How did you manage to hide the cables at the front, coming out of the front console ?

Quote:
This is probably one of very inexpensive MODs. I bought two packs of mini LED lights ($8.77 x 2) from a local Walmart store. Here is the product (Auto Drive LED Micro Lights - Walmart.com) and the pictures of the front and rear footwells are attached. The pictures somehow show much brighter blue than they actually appeared. Basically no cable seen from the front ones and only a couple of inches seen from the center storage console but blended well with the black console. I also like the built in power switches so they can be powered off when not needed for long distance driving, for example.
post #28 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 03:51 PM

Forgot to mention in the original post - the front console is not completely sealed inside due to the retractable front cover. If you look closely, there are some openings at the rear ends of both sides. I snaked cables through both the left and right trim panels. I found a bit hard wire useful in leading the led lights. The outcome was 100% hidden at the front. Had fun getting the mini projects completed.
post #29 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 04:28 PM

Car: OB '15 - 2.5 Limited with EyeSight
Thanks. Any daylight photos would be greatly helpful for the front snaking route.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "rear ends" openings...

Quote:
Forgot to mention in the original post - the front one is not completely sealed at the rear ends due to the retractable front cover. If you look closely, there are some openings at the rear ends of both sides. I snaked cables through both the left and right trim panels. I found a hard wire useful in leading the led lights. The outcome was 100% hidden at the front. Had fun getting the mini projects completed.
post #30 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 PM

Look at both the upper inside corners and you'll see holes. Fish the lights/wires down from there and you can pull them out from between the side carpet and trim panel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: