Negative Terminal - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 11:18 PM

Car: Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I haven't jump started cars with my car since 1993. There's just too much that can go wrong. With all the complex electronics that control a car now days, you're asking for trouble every time you jump start another car. That's why I carry a power pack. So I can help others, and if I ever need a jump, I have it with me.

Stultus est sicut stultus facit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are Three kinds of people. Those who can count, and those who can't...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 01:49 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
In my very limited experimentation, I have noticed some unusual voltages from one of the head unit service modes, but, so far, mostly lower voltages than I would expect to see with the alternator running ...
I typically see ~12.0 volts fairly often, especially when accelerating, which indicates that the car is probably running off battery only during those times. It actually surprises me to regularly see anything below 12.6 volts, but it's probably another part of the fuel economy strategy. When cruising in moderate temperatures, the most common system voltage I observe is ~12.6 volts ... which is about right for a healthy, fully-charged lead-acid automotive battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyOutback View Post
Or oil pressure...
The 2015 Legacy/Outback does not have an oil pressure sensor ... only a low-pressure switch.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 10:10 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyOutback View Post
@AvidHiker
Thanks for the heads up on how to get into this feature. Why in the world wouldn't Subaru just make it simple, like a button or app... How about making the vehicle monitor just that, instead of a pic of the drivetrain, accelerator position, and oil temp gauge. How about making the display adjustable so you can have the oil temp, voltage, axle temp together. Or oil pressure... Dang! they almost got it right...

Sure, thanks to @onever for digging it up. The person responsible for programming this head unit definitely lacks common sense. The vehicle monitor display could be so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammcinnis View Post
I typically see ~12.0 volts fairly often, especially when accelerating, which indicates that the car is probably running off battery only during those times. It actually surprises me to regularly see anything below 12.6 volts, but it's probably another part of the fuel economy strategy. When cruising in moderate temperatures, the most common system voltage I observe is ~12.6 volts ... which is about right for a healthy, fully-charged lead-acid automotive battery...
Sounds similar to what I observed this morning on my 15 mile drive to work (average speed of maybe 40). Any time I gave it a decent amount of gas, the voltage dropped briefly to around 12V. But when idling, coasting or simply maintaining speed, I consistently saw 14.2V.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 10:54 PM

why didn't they cover the negative terminal?...it looks so unfinished exposed under the hood
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 04:29 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.0D
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post
why didn't they cover the negative terminal?...it looks so unfinished exposed under the hood

Argh...

I see also many other components, there shoud be another hood, under the hood.
mikelipke likes this.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 06:20 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
Old thread wake up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
@ammcinnis
That's very interesting. In my very limited experimentation, I have noticed some unusual voltages from one of the head unit service modes, but, so far, mostly lower voltages than I would expect to see with the alternator running:
To enter:
Hold "HOME" and press the "Audio/Tune" knob 5 times
Then, to display battery voltage, select "Function Check/Setting" > "Vehicle Signal"
To exit:
Hold "HOME" and press "<<" repeatedly until the system reboots
Thanks. This works for me about 1 out of 10 times I try it in my 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited. I wonder if there is something else to those instructions that will make the access more consistent.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 06:35 PM

Car: 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
Garage
FYI, several months ago Subaru released a revised battery charging routine for 2015-17 vehicles that only take short trips. It seems the battery was not getting charged properly. Believe the revised charge routines were built into the 2018, not sure

Thank you
Russell Casey, 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory with Eyesight. Build date: 7/19/16. Purchased 8/5/16 in USA. Currently about 22,000 miles.
Added LED backup, cargo, door courtesy lights and Lamin-X yellow film on LED fog lights. Nushield Dayvue antiglare screen, Soundproofed front/rear doors, floorboard, cargo floor, tailgate, cowl area & all wheel wells. 7/70 zero gold warranty

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 07:54 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellpat View Post
FYI, several months ago Subaru released a revised battery charging routine for 2015-17 vehicles that only take short trips. It seems the battery was not getting charged properly. Believe the revised charge routines were built into the 2018, not sure
Yes, I think they have. I am just tinkering out of curiosity. I am not having battery issues.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:16 PM

Car: 2017 2.5 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post
I agree. Seeing that terminal reminds me that it is a battery. I even cover the bone in my TBone with a napkin whilst eating it.
I can't stand to look at it, as it reminds me what I am actually eating: Dead cow.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 02:20 PM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemccoy View Post
Thanks. This works for me about 1 out of 10 times I try it in my 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited. I wonder if there is something else to those instructions that will make the access more consistent.
That appears to be the correct method for the 2015 HU with NAV, but I'm not finding anything specific to the 2018 model. Attaching a screen grab from a firmware update TSB for my HU (which also applied to the 2016 model)...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TSB 15-205-16.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	434521  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: