About to buy 2016 Outback out of state - need advice - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:18 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianer View Post
You will need the money to pay the sales tax where you live when you go to register it. Could be 7.5 percent, could be 11 percent, just depends.
I paid the CA sales tax to Heuberger then they send the paperwork and sales tax to the CA DMV. I am only supposed to pay registration and license fees when the car gets here. I don't have the car yet, so I guess I'll find out when I get to the DMV. According to the DMV website, I only pay the difference between the sales tax I pay to the dealer and the CA sales tax. Should be the same.....time will tell.

919cw313 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyOutback View Post
WOW! I see now why, WOW!!! I knew living in California was expensive, but, WOW, LOL!
You're right about that! I'm originally from Indiana and it was a WHOLE lot less expensive to live there. But I wouldn't give up the beautiful coastline, majestic mountains and great weather now.

KentuckyOutback likes this.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 10:30 PM

How did Heuberger deal with smog?

Basically a car sold new in CA requires some unusual emissions things in addition to 'ca' or '50 state':
PZEV. A longer emissions warranty. Smog paid for by the new car sale somehow.

A car bought out of state may or may not have PZEV, may or may not have the warranty, and surely won't have the several year smog waiver.

But if Heuberger knows so much about CA rules, maybe somehow they 'sold the car' 'in california' anyway?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 03:32 AM

Car: 97 Outback 228,000
Most new cars are fifty state smog cars now. If you are shopping used you look for the sticker under the hood.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2k View Post
How did Heuberger deal with smog?

Basically a car sold new in CA requires some unusual emissions things in addition to 'ca' or '50 state':
PZEV. A longer emissions warranty. Smog paid for by the new car sale somehow.

A car bought out of state may or may not have PZEV, may or may not have the warranty, and surely won't have the several year smog waiver.

But if Heuberger knows so much about CA rules, maybe somehow they 'sold the car' 'in california' anyway?
I will have to have the car smogged (about $35 here) before I can register it in CA even though it has PZEV. Any car coming in from out of state, as I understand it, has to be smogged even if it is a new car. I may be wrong about that, but I'll have it smogged anyhow before going to the DMV.

I think Heuberger sells many cars to out-of-state customers. They seemed very knowledgeable about CA sales tax and how to handle it. And they seem to have several cars waiting to ship to their various destinations (a downside to buying out of state...although you save money in the long run, you also wait longer to get it.)
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 04:11 PM

Car: 2016 3.6 Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub View Post
The trucking company is responsible for any damage caused by the company, accidents, etc. but not for weather-related damage (hail, tornado, etc) so that's why they require insurance prior to shipping. Their quote for a 2016 Premium 2.5 with eyesight, rear power gate, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot detector, auto-dimming interior & exterior mirrors, homelink, rear bumper protector and some other add-ons was $27,484 (invoice $28,880) plus $389 dealer fee and $750 shipping for a total of $28,623. The best quote I could find here was $29,700 and most wouldn't even budge from MSRP (31,076).
Yeah, I noticed people on the forum were getting much better prices outside CA. I ended up going through Costco to find a dealer in San Diego that got me $500 over invoice. No other dealer in SoCal would match it. I think they're not used to having these cars sell like hotcakes down here. And they're gone as they hit the lots, or in transit.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah $500 over invoice is the best I'm seeing in SoCal. I think it's worth saving $1k for me to buy the car in NorCal and drive down. It's unlikely the dealers here will be able to price match anything below invoice. I'm still hunting...
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:12 PM

Car: 2016 OB 2.5i Prem PZEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianer View Post
You will need the money to pay the sales tax where you live when you go to register it. Could be 7.5 percent, could be 11 percent, just depends.
Dunno about CA, but I just bought mine from them (I'm in PA), and they just tacked the 6% PA sales tax onto the finance amount.

OP--I've had harder times buying a new printer. Congrats on going with them. Clayton and Mark are the best.

ETA: I saved somewhere around $2,000 over my local (small town) dealership, even accounting for $975 shipping. Way worth it.

2003 Town & Rusty
2016 OB 2.5i Premium PZEV
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 07:59 AM

Car: 2017 Forester XT, 2015 3.6R Ltd (sold)
Most CO dealers are familiar with CA regs/taxes and are set up to sell cars to CA residents. Worth noting also that it can be worth your time to check around, especially in the northern CO area, for better pricing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 12:31 PM

Car: 97 Outback 228,000
No need to smog a new car. I am not surprised that prices outside CA are better. I figure that if you have only one Subaru dealer near you with a good mechanic you might think about supporting that and paying the extra $500. If they are lousy and it's $1000 difference or more then go for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: