About to buy 2016 Outback out of state - need advice - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
About to buy 2016 Outback out of state - need advice

Hi everyone,

Thanks to many of you for the advice that's gotten me this far. I should soon be a new 2016 Outback owner.

I live in CA and am buying from Huerberger in CO. I read a little about buying out of state and have these questions:
  • Does the 2016 3.6R Outback meet CA emissions standards?
  • What else do I need to do in terms of making sure I am okay to receive this vehicle?
  • Since the car will be delivered to my door, what am I going to miss out on if I were to pick it up from a dealer?
  • Do I need gap insurance? I will add the car to my policy prior to its arrival, but is gap insurance only for those who didn't buy insurance before leaving the lot? Or does it cover something beyond my normal policy?

Thanks in advance. Looking to purchase today, but will wait for answers/advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 12:29 PM

Car: 2013 Sierra 4x4, 2015 WRX, 2016 Outback, Callaway Corvette
I can't answer the first three with 100% certainty, but I can tell you gap insurance is not needed. It's purpose, other than to make the dealership and provider money, is to make up the difference between what your loan balance is and what your regular insurance company will pay out in the event the car is totaled or stolen and not recovered. Not a terrible idea if you're buying something like a $60k Yukon, $0 down, with horrible resale value, but an Outback? No, especially if you're putting money down.

reemas likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 01:31 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV w/Eyesight in Ice Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by reemas View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks to many of you for the advice that's gotten me this far. I should soon be a new 2016 Outback owner.

I live in CA and am buying from Huerberger in CO. I read a little about buying out of state and have these questions:
  • Does the 2016 3.6R Outback meet CA emissions standards?
  • What else do I need to do in terms of making sure I am okay to receive this vehicle?
  • Since the car will be delivered to my door, what am I going to miss out on if I were to pick it up from a dealer?
  • Do I need gap insurance? I will add the car to my policy prior to its arrival, but is gap insurance only for those who didn't buy insurance before leaving the lot? Or does it cover something beyond my normal policy?

Thanks in advance. Looking to purchase today, but will wait for answers/advice.
The 3.6R is the same car is all 50 states. There is no PZEV version, so it will register in CA just fine.

What will you miss out on by not picking it up? 20 minutes of possible hard-sell of LoJack, paint/fabric protection, extended warranty, etc. But seriously, not much unless you like to be shown the features of the car rather than digging them out of the manual or asking for help on this forum!
reemas likes this.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 06:40 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
I also live in California and purchased my 2016 Premium from Heuberger. January knew immediately when I told her I wanted a Premium that I would need PZEV in CA. I'm still waiting for the car to be delivered since it is now in the trucking company's hands. You need to have the car insured before they'll put it on the truck so call your insurance company when you get the VIN to get it in their system, then pay the premium when you know it's ready to be shipped. It can take a couple of weeks from the time they call the trucking company until it's delivered to your door. All in all, I found the entire process quite painless even though everything was done by email and phone (and Fed Ex). No high pressure sales...all very friendly and helpful. The only thing I might do differently is fly to CO and drive it home. Would have had it home by now if I had done that.'
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 07:29 PM

Just commenting on gap insurance, expensive at dealership or credit union, really cheap if added as a rider on your car insurance. So if you think you need it, talk to your auto insurance agent.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 07:40 PM

CA out of state reg info: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ml#post2587762

PZEV not strictly necessary afaik.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 07:45 PM

Car: Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
Garage
@PiperCub
I've never done anything like order a car from a dealer in another state, so I have no idea about the insurance thing. I know that when I ordered mine back in October, there's no way I would have paid for insurance, until I received the car. The transport Co is insured for in transit damage. As far as I'm concerned, the car is Subaru's, until I sign the paperwork, and put the keys in my pocket. You must have got one heck of a deal, to not only purchase the car from a dealer in Colorado, but to save so much money you could afford to have it privately transported to your door in California for less than what purchasing the same car in your own state would have cost...

Stultus est sicut stultus facit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are Three kinds of people. Those who can count, and those who can't...
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 07:55 PM

Car: 97 Outback 228,000
You will need the money to pay the sales tax where you live when you go to register it. Could be 7.5 percent, could be 11 percent, just depends.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 08:59 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyOutback View Post
@PiperCub
I've never done anything like order a car from a dealer in another state, so I have no idea about the insurance thing. I know that when I ordered mine back in October, there's no way I would have paid for insurance, until I received the car. The transport Co is insured for in transit damage. As far as I'm concerned, the car is Subaru's, until I sign the paperwork, and put the keys in my pocket. You must have got one heck of a deal, to not only purchase the car from a dealer in Colorado, but to save so much money you could afford to have it privately transported to your door in California for less than what purchasing the same car in your own state would have cost...
The trucking company is responsible for any damage caused by the company, accidents, etc. but not for weather-related damage (hail, tornado, etc) so that's why they require insurance prior to shipping. Their quote for a 2016 Premium 2.5 with eyesight, rear power gate, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot detector, auto-dimming interior & exterior mirrors, homelink, rear bumper protector and some other add-ons was $27,484 (invoice $28,880) plus $389 dealer fee and $750 shipping for a total of $28,623. The best quote I could find here was $29,700 and most wouldn't even budge from MSRP (31,076).
KentuckyOutback likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:04 PM

Car: Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
Garage
WOW! I see now why, WOW!!! I knew living in California was expensive, but, WOW, LOL!

PiperCub likes this.

Stultus est sicut stultus facit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are Three kinds of people. Those who can count, and those who can't...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: