Side mirror adjustment - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Car: 1999 Forester, 2004 WRX, 2016 Outback 3.6R Limited.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Side mirror adjustment

Is it just me or does every car ever made artificially create a blind spot by not allowing mirrors to be adjusted far enough out?

Plenty of adjustment for me to admire the side of my car. When i try to adjust it out to see a motorcycle in my blind spot, it wont go far enough.

Fancy electronic blind spot detection? Yup. Simple free design change to enhance safety? Not on this car or any other Subaru I have owned.

Am I missing somethings? Creating all these advanced safety features took people much smarter than me, so I must be missing something. Right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 10:19 AM

Car: 2015 3.6 Outback (green)
I don't think the limited mirror travel (stops just short of useful) is a problem with all cars, just the Outback.

I've never owned another car where the mirrors would not travel far enough outward to watch the blindspot. First thing I noticed on the Outback.

I intend to pop the mirror out of the casing (which I'll be doing anyway when I get the auto-dimming ones) and find whether the limit is mechanical obstruction or a function of the servo motor. If the former, I'll be doing some creative grinding ;-0

To your other point, I think things like this are now common engineering/design faults. Everyone is so hung up on gizmos and the technology used to implement them, the basic usage requirements are lost or done poorly. This is particularly true with human interfaces.

Jason

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 10:58 AM
gds

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6 Limited Eyesight White
Most vehicles, including these Outbacks, have a great amount of adjustability. Some of it is manual, not just electronic.
The mirrors swivel around inside the housing by pushing on the mirror.

1. Using the joystick, electronically move the mirrors to a central point of aim (** see note 1).
2. Now, using your fingers on the mirror, push the outside edge of the mirror, hopefully it still has more adjustability for you. When/if it moves, it will make a somewhat noisy ratcheting/clicking sound, this is normal.

The electronic joystick movement will still work after this procedure.

NOTE1...
if the mirrors are already electronically swiveled to the most outward aiming point, the mirrors will NOT be able to be moved any further outward by pushing with your fingers.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 12:30 PM

haven't noticed this problem, but maybe gds' explaination is why: someone moved (or didn't move) the mirror around on the electric swivel thing.

car still has move of a blind spot than i'd like, but i don't see the car itself in the mirrors unless i move my head.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Car: 1999 Forester, 2004 WRX, 2016 Outback 3.6R Limited.
I just tried the procedure and it did move to the left. I did hear the clicking sound (ugh!).
I moved it two clicks then used the joystick to move it back all the way left.

It's hard to tell when not in traffic if that has made a difference so will check on way home tonight.

But I do notice that when moving the joystick left, when it reaches it's limit, it clicked and judders.
It's like the motor will allow the movement left, but something is stopping it.

I suspect the two clicks I heard when I used the joystick to move it left, are the same two clicks I heard moving it manually.
Perhaps I just 'un-did' what I did manually.

I can play with this now I know that it's safe to move the mirror by hand within it's housing.
Thanks for the help.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:08 PM

Car: White /Ivory 2015 OB Limited 2.5 Eyesight
Well DUH! -- I may be wrong but I think all "standard" vehicles (what that means-- I don't know) are susceptible to a blind spot on the side mirrors. My 02 F-150 has it --(I added those little round mirror thingeys), and my 89 Toyota Camry has it. The camry-- I have to strain my neck and actually turn my head (which the law in Mo. says you have to.
I really don't think the manufacturers do this on purpose -- IT'S JUST PHYSICS AND OPTICS -- You have to turn your head -to "KNOW FOR SURE"
The blind spot detection system just makes it easier , if one gets lazy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:12 PM

My OB is the first vehicle I have had where I wish the mirror would go out a little more to the left, which would eliminate the blind spot.

I will try the suggestion tomorrow of pushing it a little more left by hand.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:20 PM

I just bought a 2016 Forester and the driver's side mirror will not adjust outward enough so that I do not see the side of my car. I even bought a blindspot mirror to clip on the mirror housing and it still does not point outward enough.

I am about ready to disassemble the whole thing to see WTF is going on inside.

anybody else have the same problem?

solutions?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:33 PM

Car: 2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmizzou View Post
I added those little round mirror thingeys),
My Chevy Equinox came with that. IMO, all cars should have it. In any event, the driver side mirror goes out far enough for me,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: