Xenon Depot 9005 LED High Beam / DRL Review - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By CT2015Legacy
  • 1 Post By A Useless Noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Xenon Depot 9005 LED High Beam / DRL Review

First off I am not sure if this is where to post this review so if this is not the correct please excuse my for posting in the wrong location. Second I want to thank you all for taking the time to come to this thread and take a look of my review. Below you will find some information regarding the LED headlight lighting kit that XenonDepot (XD) offers as well as my own personal opinion on the product.

I have had the LED kit installed on my 2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited for approximately a little over 2 months now (Ordered on 7/16/2015) and my review is based on that time period alone thus far. I will be updating the thread as time goes on so please do keep coming back for updated information and as always please feel free to ask questions; if I don’t know the answer I will get them for you.

NOTE: All images in this thread are ©/TM of XD taken directly from their website.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION/SPECS:

• Waterproof IP 65-68 certification (shock and water proof)
• 2500 lumens each
• 360 degree light output
• 2 Philips Luxeon MZ diodes per bulb
• 100% Copper (Cu) flexible weave cloth heat-sink - perfect for tight spaces!
• White 6000K color temperature is perfect for color matching with HID and LED headlights
• Voltage: DC12V-24V / Input (A): 1.6A±0.2A2
• Lifespan: 50,000 hours
• Direct replacement for your 9005 headlight bulb
• 2 year warranty

XD uses Philips Luxeon MZ chip for the cleanest, and sharpest beam in their 9005 LED lighting kits. I have attached a photo direct from XD for your viewing pleasure.

SHIPPING / PACKAGING:

Shipping was very quick; XD (at time of this review) is offering FREE 2nd day air shipping. Not sure how long this special will last but get on it while you can; it is a very nice benefit and means you wont have to wait any longer or pay anymore to get your lights in your car sooner. The products itself is packaged in a padded FedEx envelope as seen in the photos below.

The LED lights themselves came packaged inside of a nice cardboard box. In my opinion you can tell that you are purchasing a quality product by the quality that goes into the packaging and they did a very nice job with their design on the box.

INSTALL:

Not going into much detail with this section, as it really isn’t that difficult. Simply remove your OEM DRL/High Beam bulb and replace it with the XD bulb. All you really have to do beyond that is fan the cooper heat-sinks out in order to get proper cooling to the LED’s. I have attached some photos of how I did this on my install. I would suggest getting as close as possible to how I did it.

What is nice about the kit from XD is that the bases of the bulbs are true to the bulb application (ie. Ordering 9005 your getting a 9005 base) where as other’s are selling the kit with universal bases which do not allow for an OEM fit.

Passenger Side Install

Driver Side Install

OEM vs. XenonDepot LED:

Below are some comparisons of the light output from stock lighting to the XD LED lighting upgrade. Following the photos will be my impression on the light output.

I did not attach any photos of the Halogen running lights in the daytime as we all have them on our cars and I didn’t believe it was necessary. If it’s requested enough I will go ahead and add those to the review for you all.

LIGHT OUTPUT COMPARED TO STOCK:

I have got to say that this is the toughest to really talk about. I really believe that it is personal preference whether you think that the XD LED lights or any LED lights in general enhance your nighttime visibility. I will say that in my opinion I PREFER them to the stock DRL/High Beam bulbs 100%. The reason that I prefer them is that I feel the whiter light that the LED’s project enhance what you are actually seeing on the road especially street/highway signs; the LED’s REALLY LIGHT THEM UP!!!

With that being said personally the answer to the question I am sure many of you have been waiting for; in my opinion I do not believe that the LED light output range is as great as the halogen high beam bulbs are. Now take that how you want it but as I mentioned above the light is MUCH, MUCH whiter and not dull so you see more sooner where as the halogen bulbs are a dull yellow reducing your overall visibility even though they reach further I just don’t see a benefit over halogen compared to the LED’s.

USED AS DRL’s:

You’ll hear mixed reviews about this one. Some will say that the full output of the LED lights will blind oncoming drivers; my response to that is this…. Well they shouldn’t be looking at my headlights to begin with. As I mentioned before I have been using these lights for a little over 2 months and I think I can only count ONE time when someone flashed me and the person was in a pickup truck (wrap that one around your head). Personally I believe that increased light output is a much greater safety benefit. In inclement weather if your headlights aren’t on for what ever reason you’ll be seen easier and sooner than you would than with the halogen bulbs.

USED AS HIGH BEAMS:

For this answer I am going to refer you back to the “LIGHT OUTPUT COMPARED TO STOCK” section above as I pretty much said everything that I have to say about the high beam output comparison their. If you need me to answer anymore questions about this please ask. If you want me to try and get more comparison photos just ask.

OTHER SOURCES:

• Of course as you may or may now know a thread is already going on this forum regarding upgrading your lighting to LED. Steve from XD was supportive enough to become a vendor on the forum and has provided some phenomenal feedback on this thread regarding XD’s product. That thread can be found HERE.

• If that thread leaves you wanting more KB Car Stuff posted a FANTASTIC comparison review on the XD LED Kit product and has some comparison with the HID upgrade as well. They have access too much better cameras than I do and have much more experience with lighting products so a lot of answers can be answered on that thread alone. That review can be found on the SubaruOutback.org forum found HERE.

FINAL OPINION:

At the end of the day my opinion is my opinion. Not everyone may agree with my findings but to me I am VERY happy with my purchase and love driving with my XD LED lighting kit upgrade both during the day and night. I have had no issues with the LED’s thus far in the two months of ownership (ie. Flickering).

I think that it is great that XD uses size specific bases where as other manufactures use universal bases to save on cost. To me I’d rather have something that is made to fit my housing 100% not something that’ll just ‘work’ with it; not sure about you but I don’t like condensation inside of my headlight housing it dries me nuts.

My biggest appreciation for the XD LED kit is that it has increased my visibility during the day making me more visible to drivers during the day time in all kinds of weather where halogen lights may not be as effective (cloudy/rainy weather). During nighttime I can see objects and signs much clearer sooner due to the whiter light output which to me is very important than being able to see objects farther. As long as I can see what is in front of me I could care less how far I can see.

That’s all folks; I’ve said it 1,000 times in this thread but please do feel free to ask what ever questions you may have and I will do my best to answer them for you or get the answer for you. Again be sure to check back for updates as well!

-- Thank you!

outback15, BOXR 6, judoman and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 11:57 AM

Location: Behind enemy lines in occupied portions of what was once part of the USA
Car: 2016 3.6R with all options, 2014 Crosstrek
How have these lights been now that a few months have passed?

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 12:55 PM

Great review, but...

What's an "upg-rage"? Is that like an upgrade, but you're really angry about it?
BOXR 6 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: