Dashboard Rattle: Anyone else? Resolved? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
View Poll Results: Do you have a dashboard rattle in weather under 60 degrees and with the gas pressed?
Yes 22 57.89%
No 16 42.11%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 214 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5 Limited Carbide Grey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Dashboard Rattle: Anyone else? Resolved?

Hi all,

I have a 2015 2.5 Limited Outback. I have had the car since March of 15, live in Massachusetts, and have 9,000 miles on it.

Problem: Last week I started hearing a rattle in the left/drivers side of the dashboard. i have removed all sunglasses, items from glove and mid seat compartment and everything from the doors. The rattle is still intermittent and most notable between 25-40mph. I have not taken it to the dealer yet. I drove the car last March, when it was noticeably colder and this rattle was not present. It has not been present in the warmer weather either. I dont know if weather has anything to do with it. I don't recall hitting a pothole or anything to make things settle into a rattle.

Does anyone have experience with a rattle? Any resolutions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 214 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 08:20 AM

I've got a dash rattle. Happens intermittently but mostly on dirt roads or rough pavement.

Initially I imagined it to be a wiring loom rattling against something. Luckily it turned out to be the center speaker grill. The left rear corner is slightly lifted and pressing on it stops the rattle.

I'm creating a list of things for the dealer to remedy before I drop it off but I'm sure they'll be able to take care of it.

post #3 of 214 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman View Post
I've got a dash rattle. Happens intermittently but mostly on dirt roads or rough pavement.

Initially I imagined it to be a wiring loom rattling against something. Luckily it turned out to be the center speaker grill. The left rear corner is slightly lifted and pressing on it stops the rattle.

I'm creating a list of things for the dealer to remedy before I drop it off but I'm sure they'll be able to take care of it.
Thanks! I will have to take a closer look at the center speaker grill. I did notice it is raised a bit in the front left corner, but didnt think it could make this rattle. Probably doesnt take much.

What other items have you noticed?

So far, I have the rattle, wind noise from the drivers side (not terrible and maybe I am listening too hard for it, but compared to rentals I drive for work, it is more pronounced), the leather on the steering wheel appears to peel off at the spokes.
post #4 of 214 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 11:42 AM

Car: 16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
I have mine also, seems to be coming behind the instruments or next to the central air grill. But only shows when it's cold, and nothing at all in warm warm weather, so I'm waiting for the next couple of weeks to take it to dealer. I purchased mine on March 10, and it did develop few weeks after, and then disappeared when it warmed up, so I forgot about it, but now reappearing on cold nights. And it shows on rough roads.
post #5 of 214 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonOB View Post

What other items have you noticed?
Three flaws in the paint
Irregular finish on two of the wheels
Nav issues
Curve at the top of rear gate does not follow body contour
Possible alignment issue
Flapping noise near top of drivers side b pillar
Grease marks on the front windows
Headlights seem to be misaligned (irregular cut off line)

That's my list so far. I may have forgotten a couple though...
post #6 of 214 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 01:19 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonOB View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2015 2.5 Limited Outback. I have had the car since March of 15, live in Massachusetts, and have 9,000 miles on it.

Problem: Last week I started hearing a rattle in the left/drivers side of the dashboard. i have removed all sunglasses, items from glove and mid seat compartment and everything from the doors. The rattle is still intermittent and most notable between 25-40mph. I have not taken it to the dealer yet. I drove the car last March, when it was noticeably colder and this rattle was not present. It has not been present in the warmer weather either. I dont know if weather has anything to do with it. I don't recall hitting a pothole or anything to make things settle into a rattle.

Does anyone have experience with a rattle? Any resolutions?
that it was your es assy???

2012 Subie Outback 2.5i Premium Cvt,Ice Silver Metallic, All-Weather Pkg-SOLD
2016 OB Premium ISM with just about everything
post #7 of 214 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post
that it was your es assy???
I am not sure what an es assy is? Maybe eyesight assembly?
post #8 of 214 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 01:44 PM

I have one in in my 2014, only intermittently and not loud at all.

But I'd rather see it gone. I can understand new fangled technology and options not quite working, but car makers have been building cars with stuff behind the dashboard for many, many decades. Most manufacturers long ago figured out how to do this so that rattles did not occur. But apparently Subaru ain't figured it out yet.

Otherwise I like the car, but that is such a simple thing to have messed up.
post #9 of 214 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backeast View Post
If you're referring to a difference between the left and right headlight, the left may be intentionally aligned to be a tad lower than the right to reduce the 'dazzling' to oncoming traffic.

Previous vehicles I've owned were the same, and IIRC one of them documented this in the users manual section about replacing the bulbs.
No, I've got a V shaped dip in the center of the pattern. As though one light should be focused closer to the center. If it wasn't dead center it wouldn't bother me much.
post #10 of 214 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:28 AM

Car: 16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
To update on this for my rattle behind the instrument cluster, took it to dealer early this week morning this week. Dealer kept car overnight, and called me next day saying it was ready. I went there, they said they removed radio and center speaker was loose ( and sound travels to the front of the driver where I hear it). I tried it, and rattle was still same. They kept the car also for two more days and removed the complete dash, and called me yesterday late afternoon that it was ready, and they found the source in the instrument panel. I went to pick it up, tried it and rattle was there, same thing, and after removing and reinstalling dash, now I have squeaks on the right side as a bonus. They said they worked 7 1/2 hours, and now they'll have to remove dash again. So I have to bring it again, and my Ivory leather is partly black form dirt ( nobody used covering on the seat while working ), my dash is all greasy fingers as well as the windshield ; They will do detailing after it's done .

BostonOB and A440 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in